• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 17 July 2013 - 04:48 PM

I've uploaded this topic slightly before the site switch an I'm still looking for feedback on this game idea. 

In one of the recordings (I can't remember which one) Hal tangented on a horror game he ran in a UK con. the characters were kidnapped by a hunter and were sewn into animal costumes. Hal then proceeded to kill the little girl character and banishing the plant player who played that character from the game. This created an actual tension for the players. 

I would like to run a game inspired by this one in my next con.

In the old forum Hal clarified it was an 8 hours session and he killed the plant after two hours, and it was in a mechanical system (I don't recall which one),

I only have four hours of session and I can't just kill players because they will go and complain to the con management about me (that's the type of RPGers we have here). So I'm thinking of braking my game into two parts: A LARP and a tabletop game.

The game will be in the Roaring 20s setting, where the characters are the "nobility" of those days America. Movie Stars, Oil Barons, Play-writes and the whose who of america have been for the maiden voyage of the cruise ship the  "HMS POLO" (ya I know that HMS is a Navy prefix). After a while into the cruise a knockout gas is released into the ship and the players are taken into an island, sewn into animal costumes and are hunted.

The first two hours of the session will be a LARP so that the player may get comfortable with their characters and will get ready for the Horror. The meta-game of this part is for the characters to interact and whenever a meaningful interaction is taken place they players will exchange "calling cards" to signify that.  

The last two hours are a tabletop game of "the hunt". The mechanic is loosely based on Classroom Deathmatch. Each character has the following statistics sorted from 5 to 1: Resolute, Agile, Flexible, Aggressive, Instinctive (Earth, Air, Water, Fire, Void respectively). The random element is a deck of cards (reds are success's blacks are failures), where a player may drew a number of cards up to his trait and then the trait decreases by that number (Like Classroom Deathmatch). The Calling cards that were acquired in the first part may be spend to drew an extra card, even if  a stat is at zero. The result of an action is described by the players (Best Friend for success and Rival for failures). the sequence of this section is that the players build a scene around a "main" character. Once the scene is full enough a GM "calls" it an the scene needs to be resolved.

I know that my explanation is a bit convoluted but I would like try and brainstorm with the forum. Ask me questions or give me suggestions or call me a dumbass, so I could respond and organize my thoughts. 

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 July 2013 - 10:17 AM

I think I replied to this...   :)

It was a game of Kult for the UK National Roleplaying and Wargaming Championships. It ran over two days and I have two different groups (one of each day). That meant I had to have two plants. One played with the group that was playing the game that was not mine on the first day and I killed them off on the second day :)

It worked really well. They were scripted that when they heard the cue, they had to look out of a window and I would take a shot at them. I fudged it so I hit and thanks for Kult's lethal damage system I fudged the damage so it was fatal. The plant character was a little girl so that was a good impact, but asking the player to leave was the biggest bomb to the table. They fought and argued to have them stay. It was awesome :) It really made them much more cautious with their own characters.

It was a horror game. I might have it around somewhere and perhaps I can scan it and upload it :) I think it would work in pretty much any system with a reasonably realistic damage system.

I like the Classroom Deathmatch system. You can hear it in the Christmas Deathmatch audio that we did a few years ago.

Back to brainstorming - are you able to run an effective LARP in the time you have available?

Hal

#3 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:48 AM

Yea, you replied to it, that's where I got the 8 hour slot from and remembered Kult only this morning. 

For effectie LARP: I have no idea. 
But our gaming scene is very LARPy. And I really don't plan to have any build in plot for the LARP, just let the player bond with their own characters and get attached to their character and the other player around them, so character death will actually have an impact. So I hope two hour are enough for it. I actually played in only three LARPs and ran one, and only in one of those three LARPs my character had any impact of the plot. 

#4 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 30 September 2013 - 03:01 PM

I've ran the game at my local con and it went preaty well. 
I've ran it in a converted Classroom Deathmatch system, with cards instead of dice. Some players were eaten. One player murdered his with thinking she was a communist scum and went insane. It was all good

Adding the LARP really added to the best friend and rival mechanic and the rabbit ears really made an impact icharacen changing the atmosphere. The roaring 20s characters were also a good call. 

And it all was inspired by that audio snippet in a Rolemaster game.  :laugh:

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 October 2013 - 09:39 AM

Awesome stuff :)

I might have to try running that game again if I ever get anywhere near a con :)

Hal :hal:

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 December 2013 - 10:40 AM

In one of the recordings (I can't remember which one) Hal tangented on a horror game he ran in a UK con.

A Jolly Proper Adventure, episode 1, as it happens. :) 1 hour and 19 minutes, if you wish to relisten. Hal ran that scenario twice, apparently, once with Neil (presumably the same Neil as dice-rolling-infamous Neil from the Yoggie site) and once with someone called Sylvia, as the plant.

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 December 2013 - 02:06 PM

Not the same Neil :) This was another Neil who was part of the RPG Society but we never managed to get on an audio recording :)

Also I believe it was Lydia and not Sylvia :D

I ran it twice because it was at the Nationals and I needed to run the same game for two groups hence needing two plants :D

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:54 AM

Also I believe it was Lydia and not Sylvia :D

Aww, so she wasn't kidnapped by Corvax, then?

sylvia.gif

#9 Haxxx

Haxxx

Raven

• Members
  • 41 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:24 AM

Actually the recording hal said it was in one of ther Rolemaster once, I think as a commant to Goggles furry fatish. Maybe Rolemaster 5 or 4 

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 04:38 AM

Actually the recording hal said it was in one of ther Rolemaster once, I think as a commant to Goggles furry fatish. Maybe Rolemaster 5 or 4 

It was in A Jolly Proper Adventure, as well. Hal must've talked about it in several recordings. Poor man's only got so many anecdotes to go round, y'know? ;)

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 December 2013 - 08:00 AM

Its true - my tiny head can only hold 3 stories at once...

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

my tiny head

Like that guy from Beetlejuice?

#13 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 December 2013 - 02:02 PM

Yes - exactly like him :)

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: horror, pulp, larp, con game, help

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge