A lovely song about friendship by the band Serious Black

Click here to download this file

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:39 AM

Oh look, here's an interview with Steve Mecca from Serious Black, where he gushes fan-boyishly about Knights of the Dinner Table:

Sonya: Now, with the bonus track, "Waste 'Em With My Crossbow!", you give credits to "Hackmaster", "KODT" and "Kenzer & Co." Please tell us what these names mean to Serious Black, and how they provide the inspiration for this track.

Steve: The song's title refers to a catch-phrase used by a character in the comic magazine, "Knights of the Dinner Table. The comic is a spoof on gamers, particularly a group of table-top roleplayers who play a game called Hackmaster. When the comic first began it was a strip written by a fellow named Jolly Blackburn that appeared in gaming magazines and Hackmaster was a fictitious game bases on Dungeons & Dragons.

As the popularity of the comic increased, a new game manufacturer, Kenzer & Company decided to pick up KODT and turn Hackmaster into a real roleplaying game. The game is totally based on Dungeons & Dragons but with a LOT of additional details. The Hackmaster game manuals make for a humorous, convoluted read. As they state somewhere in the introduction- "this game is not for wusses". The player called Bob in KODT comic has a favorite phrase when confronted with anything circumspect. He says, "I waste 'em with my crossbow!", typifying 'hack & slash' mentality of the mediocre gamer.

I know this song really doesn't belong on a goth-industrial CD, so that's why I made it a bonus track. It was a guilty pleasure I couldn't resist. I even did it in a mock-rock & roll format as to make it completely different from the genre I'm working in. Jolly Blackburn loves the song. We're in the process of working out a deal with Kenzerco for some promotion for Serious Black in exchange for an exclusive link from the Kenzerco website for people who want to hear the song.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:40 AM

It's a great song. We need more legit folks doing gaming songs that I can host and stuff.

Perhaps it's time for another filk push? :)

Hal :hal:

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 08:12 AM

It's a great song. We need more legit folks doing gaming songs that I can host and stuff.

Perhaps it's time for another filk push? :)

"Legit" people? You mean people who FILK for a living?

Martimus and Isis were the main contributors of FILK recordings, IIRC. There's a huge pile of written FILK lyrics stockpiled in the Archives, though. You could try to look for starving musicians on FB, maybe. Offer them a free meal if they record a FILK. ;)

#5 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:24 AM

Perhaps we could find some peon to do it on Fiverr - either sing them or write them on their boobies :)

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Indeed, there are several people who will lend you their mouth and tongue for $5. Some of them will even sing you a song with 'em. :)

Not sure if it's a sensible way to fritter away the site donations, but it might be useful for special occasions - maybe get someone to record a FILK intro for your Shattered Star game, or something.

#7 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 10:52 PM

I don't think any of these people need hosting space, but there are a few gaming songs out there...

This Fantasy World by The Doubleclicks,
and the cover of it by Kirby Krackle.

Nerd Party by The Modrats.

Curse of the Female Paladin by Blue Turtle Shell.

Roll a D6 by Conner Anderson

#8 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 11:07 PM

Also, Tonight by Allie Goetz (who has quite a few other gaming songs), and a whole youtube playlist of gaming songs. Now, to go finish trying to be productive with my evening like before I got distracted watching geek music.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge