Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

File Name: Jade Regent Session 01

File Submitter: Lockhart

File Submitted: 22 Jul 2012

File Category: Pathfinder

Genre: Fantasy
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

I Ignore the S*** Out of It

Setting out to collect on a newly reinstated goblin bounty, three brave adventurers leave the town of Sandpoint to enter the Brinestump Marsh to deal with the threat of goblins with fireworks. Instead, they find other threats to deal with first.

Featuring:
Carter as the GM
Aimee as Storm Blackfire, Half-Elf Barbarian
Brian as Harold Shinken, Half-Elf Cleric
Brad as Ash Lonechild, Human Summoner, with Misty the Eidolon

Intro music provided by www.danosongs.com

Click here to download this file

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:35 PM

Our first ever Weekly AP Club audio.

Listen to this file over this week and then come back and talk about it :) Simple and a great way to find new audios.

Cheers

Hal :hal:

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 06:20 AM

Ahh, Jade Regent. Anyone who's never listened to this scrumptious bit of audio before is in for a treat.

If you listen to any Jade Regent episodes, you're soon bound to notice one of the recurring themes that got established in the very first installment: severed heads. :)

The Pokémon theme is also brought up from the start, with Ash the summoner and his succubus sidekick, Misty.
Unfortunately, since they'll be doing most of their future traveling by caravan, it takes quite some time before Ash buys his first horse, Charmander - soon to be replaced by Squirtle. :)

Brian's characters are often the most memorable in the YGGernaut games, and Harold Shinken is certainly no exception. "You don't know it, but you're already dead!"
Keep your ears pealed for the Zombie Conga-Line of Pharasma in an upcoming episode. :D

BTW, @Lockhart, is there some way mentioned in the scenario for Walthus Proudstump to join the caravan?
If the players had tried to cement their relationship with him further... Hang on, that sounds like innuendo. Let's rephrase: after the players saved his life, could they have talked the halfling into coming along on the adventure? Not that they've got any shortage (get it? Halfling NPC? Shortage...? Ah, forget it) of named relationship NPCs, but it seems to be a trend in this adventure path, that almost anyone could potentially be persuaded to join your party.

#4 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:49 PM

"... She used her witch magic to turn into some kind of... swamp zombie..."

"THAT SOUNDS FUN! Swamp zombies on top of swamp goblins!"

:)

#5 Dr_Jomster

Dr_Jomster

Goblin

• Members
  • 193 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 12:59 PM

Amazed the line "we seek head... s..." Wasn't pounced on at 2.20! The pause was just long enough... :)

They're seeking goblin heads for bounty you see before you mis-interpret anything...

#6 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 12 August 2013 - 10:28 PM

@Lockhart, you have such a way with accents.

You've inspired me to try some out with my group.

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 09:02 AM

Brad: "We could so be a commercial: Doritos and Pepsi Max - the snacks of champions!"
Brian: *Doing Sean Connery voice* "We're a documentary about diabetesch."

Lockhart, don't feel bad about not getting the joke in Walthus Proudstump's name. It took me years to figure out how Iznogoud got his name. Happy_to_be_a_Dunce_by_Maverinox.png

Oh, and then there's Mike Allred's Madman, who was created by scientists from stitched-together, reanimated corpse parts; since the two geniuses who made him were fans of Albert Einstein and Frank Sinatra, they gave him their creation the name Frank Einstein. ;)

BTW, it was an ingenious new term you guys coined in this episode: interro-talk. It's a shame it hasn't gotten more air time. :(

Spoiler

#8 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 13 August 2013 - 11:11 AM

It's so very comforting to hear Canadian accents in my RPG podcasts and it astounds me I have not sat down to listen to this group sooner. I'll write more when I have more time but sufficed to say I will be listening to more YGG in the future!

#9 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 August 2013 - 10:40 PM

I agree that Harold is certainly an interesting take on the death worship.  Lots of fun and good party banter.

#10 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

"I'm pretty sure Mending doesn't work on biological entities!"

#11 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 14 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

So memorable one-liners pasted everywhere by an excited, artistic primate, let's actually discuss things since I think that was the whole point.

This was my first experience with the Yorkton group, or at least these 3 players and Lockhart as the GM since I had heard him playing with Hal, Lindsay, and Thing in... something. It never ceases to amaze me that, by and large, the majority of groups and gamers I listen to all sound like my kind of people; the kind of people I could sit down with and have a conversation about things we both like despite my social anxiety. These Yorkton folks sound especially friendly and you can tell how they all enjoy each other's company immediately. I like that. 

And immediately after that you get to see their juvenile senses of humour. I'm sorry I don't have quotes as I've never been good at pulling those from audio (movies yes, podcasts no, it's weird) but I'm sure someone who is Pencil-Monkey can more than make up for that. I will point to the language and terminology used to refer to Misty's state of perpetual nearly-undressed and several uses of the word 'retarded'. These people aren't running with a filter, they're not concerned with offending anyone, and they're gleefully unapologetic about it. And that's great! What we get to see are a group of friends having fun. If you like it then you're invited to share in it and if you don't then this isn't the audio for you. I like that honesty.

I do however struggle with the Ash and Misty characters. I want to stress that in no way do I wish to enforce my personal preferences on any other player and prevent them from having fun with a character they enjoy. This is merely a discussion point, I feel, worth exploring. Every once in a while you come across the character pulled from some other genre or intellectual property. Sometimes it's pop culture, sometimes it's more of a classic, and it always seems to get played one of two ways: either the player tries to play as that other character or they try to play with that character. Let me elaborate.

Playing AS the character is when you focus very carefully on the roleplay aspects of reacting and acting as that character would. Playing WITH the character, which is definitely more the case with Ash and Misty, means you've got the mechanics of the character worked out but you're not worried about matching the personality. Several times people, including Brad himself, comment that Misty the summon has more personality than Ash. To be fair, Ash from the TV show didn't have a lot to begin with either so maybe that informed the decision.

For me I tend to have problems with both approaches which is why I try not to play characters I don't make up myself. I'm not always successful. In my folder of sheets there is a WoD werewolf based on Robin Williams's amazing performance in The Fisher King. When it comes to playing AS the character I find it's usually more disappointing than not as nobody is as good at replicating these carefully and brilliantly written characters in what is basically amateur improv. As for playing WITH the character it can lead to situations like this game where every once in a while a jarring pokemon reference shows up. Obviously Brad's having fun and no one else at the table seems to mind which are the two most important things, but I'm wondering if I'm alone on this or if others feel the same way about transporting existing characters into games.

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 09:12 AM

Hey Brian, what do you think of all this?

2cblf9.png

OMG @Lockhart, look what you're doing to the poor man! Get your butt back to Yorkton this instant, you selfish person you! Spending all your time in school, learning stuff and improving yourself; never once considering what you might be doing to your players. :(

#13 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 10:45 AM

Studley-Monkey?

#14 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:43 AM

For me I tend to have problems with both approaches which is why I try not to play characters I don't make up myself. I'm not always successful. In my folder of sheets there is a WoD werewolf based on Robin Williams's amazing performance in The Fisher King. When it comes to playing AS the character I find it's usually more disappointing than not as nobody is as good at replicating these carefully and brilliantly written characters in what is basically amateur improv. As for playing WITH the character it can lead to situations like this game where every once in a while a jarring pokemon reference shows up. Obviously Brad's having fun and no one else at the table seems to mind which are the two most important things, but I'm wondering if I'm alone on this or if others feel the same way about transporting existing characters into games.

Excellent analysis of the game, Telemergion - far better than I'd come up with! First thing I would say is that maybe it's a bit early to judge the characters - it's their first session after all. It often takes me a good few sessions to find the rhythm of my characters. That said, we were supposed to chat about the first session, and I broadly agree with you.

Was a great, fun, session, and obviously everyone was enjoying it - which is, of course, the point of it, and also makes it a lot of fun to listen to. Our group, which currently plays by Google Hangout, has had its issues with Pathfinder - it feels rather unwieldy and restrictive when we use it. Although I detected a few hints of it here, Lockheart kept the action moving well and it felt much smoother than when we've tried it - I suspect it's a group/system mismatch in our case. Having said that, I do feel Pathfinder tends to reduce combat to a series of options that feel a bit sterile, rather than a dynamic, exciting system; I've had similar feelings with Savage Worlds in the past.

As a graduate of the Dick van Dyke school of accents, I must acknowledge Lockheart can actually, y'know, do them properly. Respect, man.

#15 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 01:45 PM

First thing I would say is that maybe it's a bit early to judge the characters - it's their first session after all. It often takes me a good few sessions to find the rhythm of my characters.

I absolutely agree with this. Brad in particular is playing a concept in this session - he's Ash and his summon is Misty and pokemon are fun - but it hasn't coalesced into a person yet partly because Ash is such a bland starting point and partly because I don't think he was focusing on that aspect just yet. The only player character at this point who does seem to be on his way to being fleshed out is Brian's Mr. Shinken who has a cool and unique take on the death cleric angle but even he could go a long way further.

Our group, which currently plays by Google Hangout, has had its issues with Pathfinder - it feels rather unwieldy and restrictive when we use it. Although I detected a few hints of it here, Lockheart kept the action moving well and it felt much smoother than when we've tried it - I suspect it's a group/system mismatch in our case. Having said that, I do feel Pathfinder tends to reduce combat to a series of options that feel a bit sterile, rather than a dynamic, exciting system

Pathfinder's a tricky one. It needs a strong driving force from both players and DM, I find, to feel dynamic. The DM must provide strong action sequences that encourage the players to think and be creative. It all boils down to the same d20 roll most of the time but if you can get the players talking about the exciting maneuvers they're making, even if these are entirely fluff and have no bearing on the game, that d20 roll can seem far more than just "Roll to hit. Hit. Roll damage." The benefit of Pathfinder is it's a very well established set of rules since it pulls from the family tree of DnD. We all know what it can and can't do. It's toolset is fairly sterile and generic, it's true, but while it doesn't necessarily provide the impetus for wild and crazy creative and exciting combat it also doesn't hamper you with extras. My example of a system that does would be DnD4E which sounds amazing as you read all the cool effects you have on the powers and sounds like a brilliant system to use tactics and positioning but in practice turns into an even longer slog than Pathfinder as you sit and calculate each and every move.

As a graduate of the Dick van Dyke school of accents, I must acknowledge Lockheart can actually, y'know, do them properly. Respect, man.

Agreed. I actually meant to talk about Lockhart's GMing in my first post. (Double checks that I didn't) Relating to both driving the action in combat, to playing the NPCs, and building the world this guy is obviously on his game. As a fellow silly voice enthusiast I would like to extend to Lockhart an open invite to my table so he can come by and riff with me while we show all my mono-voiced players how it's done.

#16 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:47 AM

Pathfinder's a tricky one. It needs a strong driving force from both players and DM, I find, to feel dynamic. The DM must provide strong action sequences that encourage the players to think and be creative. It all boils down to the same d20 roll most of the time but if you can get the players talking about the exciting maneuvers they're making, even if these are entirely fluff and have no bearing on the game, that d20 roll can seem far more than just "Roll to hit. Hit. Roll damage." The benefit of Pathfinder is it's a very well established set of rules since it pulls from the family tree of DnD. We all know what it can and can't do. It's toolset is fairly sterile and generic, it's true, but while it doesn't necessarily provide the impetus for wild and crazy creative and exciting combat it also doesn't hamper you with extras. My example of a system that does would be DnD4E which sounds amazing as you read all the cool effects you have on the powers and sounds like a brilliant system to use tactics and positioning but in practice turns into an even longer slog than Pathfinder as you sit and calculate each and every move.

I couldn't agree more, I find that it really requires the GM and players to really bring their A game for combat to actually feel like roleplaying and not like a game of WarHammer.  Currently with my groups game of Mouse Guard, while it is a brilliant system (based off burning wheel) every time we hit a fight conflict, role-playing seems to die.  Often this is because we hit the conflict later on in the session and I (and my players) are watching the clock more closely and feeling more tired- and nothing kills roleplay like a tired and grumpy GM. 

One approach that I am yet to try consistently is to start off with a big opening fight and allow the rest of the session to be more role-play and build up to the next one (thus allowing each session to finish on a bit of a cliff-hanger)- something that I have yet to master.

One of the things that I've found with DnD3.5, while I am very familiar with the system and love it in many ways, combat doesn't translate well to audio. As soon as it hits initiative I find my attention starts to wander.  This is not a criticism of the group (Lockhart and the team do a great job), more-so of the system- a system that I like. 

BTW The mechanic in Mouse Guard for conflict when applied to other situations like verbal conflict and chase scenes are just too cool, and encourage role-playing. 

#17 drkfyre

drkfyre

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationYorkton, Saskatchewan, Canada

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:58 PM

Hey guys, Brad (aka Ash & Misty) checking in!

Honestly it isn't either playing as the character, or with the character.  Ash isn't supposed to be Ash from Pokemon at all, I'm just terrible with coming up with names on the spot, and I thought it would be good for giggles, and give me a chance to make cheesy Pokemon references at whim.

Haven't got to play for a while now, with Lockhart deciding to move off and pursue his education and all.  But reading this thread makes me miss playing.  Ash has definitely grown as a character since session 1, but I still find Misty to be more fun to play

#18 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 05:15 AM

Welcome!

#19 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 10:17 AM

Honestly it isn't either playing as the character, or with the character.  Ash isn't supposed to be Ash from Pokemon at all, I'm just terrible with coming up with names on the spot, and I thought it would be good for giggles, and give me a chance to make cheesy Pokemon references at whim.

Well thanks for making the only real discussion point we had going moot, you jerk! :P

Welcome to the forums and I am sad to hear the games are on hold. I am really enjoying them as I work through the series.

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 August 2013 - 04:30 AM

Welcome to the site, Brad! Oh, and happy birthday, @drkfyre. :)

Haven't got to play for a while now, with Lockhart deciding to move off and pursue his education and all.  But reading this thread makes me miss playing. 

I am sad to hear the games are on hold. I am really enjoying them as I work through the series.

Ditto that. :( There's only one solution: get an unmarked van, a bottle of chloroform, and some ski masks - then off on a road trip to Regina.

...Alternatively, if kidnapping is illegal in Canada, you could try playing with Lockhart over Google Hangouts, or Skype, or whatever. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge