Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 23 January 2015 - 11:47 AM

I particularly enjoyed this series.

The one roll engine has made appearances at my table and been enjoyed in spite of some clutch problems between powers.

The cold intro to non-powered characters was fun. The setting made a number of interesting turns from conspiracy to ancient aliens. Also this is one of the best instances of players choosing different directions in setting alliances and it being handled deftly and without a lot of slowdown. The gang-up factor was high towards the end but made for interesting conflicts.

#3 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 24 January 2015 - 12:31 AM

I think I need to relisten to these. I've got a bunch of ORE books (Thanks Bundle of Holding for the expansion in my collection) but it's never really clicked in my head. 

#4 Lucky_Strike

Lucky_Strike

Goblin

• Patrons
  • 204 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationLittle Rock, AR

Posted 26 January 2015 - 10:00 PM

I think I need to relisten to these. I've got a bunch of ORE books (Thanks Bundle of Holding for the expansion in my collection) but it's never really clicked in my head. 

I have run ORE twice and it was Godlike both times.  I think the second edition Wild Talents rules are more solid.  Stats got streamlined.

The particular issue with ORE I observed is it exacerbates the character creation issues I run into with players (and as a player) in all superhero games.  That issue is the drive to optimize at creation and have a completed character that covers all angles.  I have spent many many hours working on Champions characters to get the build just right and the points just so.  In ORE it doesn't necessarily take as much time but because of the impact that multiple hard dice can have it feels like a more stressful set of choices.  Particularly with the lethality which hard dice of attack powers can send crashing around.  Also I've had confusion around how cafeteria miracles use the defends quality leave players concerned about fragility.  It was something when my player with a shadow based teleportation power figured out he could use it to evade gunfire.

I sometimes think the hardest thing in a superhero game is to build a character that has someplace to go with experience.  The static nature of comics just sets this up it seems.

One of the things that happened in this recorded game which I think worked very well with ORE is the first session with no powers.  There were several rolls there which let the system be what it was without the stress of all the hard dice crashing around.  Another good move was the characters that started with no hard or wiggle dice in powers.  I think it was the shapeshifting and intangibility powers in this campaign that we hear dice promotions during experience spending and there were some moments when a lot for the character seemed to be riding on whether or not the power worked.  That lack of a success safety net can lead to more breadth and a place to develop.  My 2 cents from the campaigns work I've done, the 140 point mark in 2e wild talents or the 40 will mark in Godlike feels like the sweet spot that lets character creation shine for a grittier level game if you choose to head that way.  I think ORE works best with that sensibility.

#5 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 27 January 2015 - 07:20 AM

Also I've had confusion around how cafeteria miracles use the defends quality leave players concerned about fragility. It was something when my player with a shadow based teleportation power figured out he could use it to evade gunfire.

People who are unfamiliar with Godlike are probably scratching their heads in confusion, trying to figure out what the heck Cafeteria Miracles are, and what they have to do with a superhero RPG. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge