#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 July 2013 - 11:03 AM

File Name: Whartstock 2011: Monsters! Monsters!

File Submitter: BigJackBrass

File Submitted: 23 Apr 2012

File Category: Whartstock

Genre: Fantasy
Profanity Level: Jolly Sweary Indeed

The adventure business, seen from the other side

Click here to download this file

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:01 AM

Fingers and toes crossed that @BigJackBrass and the other Whartsies decide to run some more Tunnels & Trolls at some point in the (hopefully none too distant) future.
This game, along with the Whartstock 2010 T&T game that BJB didn't run (it was GM'ed most entertainingly by the august @Martimus), is absolutely brilliant good fun.

The conventions of adventuring are turned upside down as we give the monsters a chance to shine in Ken St. Andre's classic 1976 role-playing game. Bunco Keep is under attack from the combined forces of General Hangnail and Overlord Spleen, but not every monster is a mindless ravening stereotype... just some of them. Quite a few, come to think of it...

Monsters! Monsters! is available as a download on DriveThru RPG or in print from the publisher, Flying Buffalo Inc.

The Players:
Jon: The GM
Amelia: Benny the Shoggoth
Nick: Margot the Lamia
Mark: Jeremy the Dark Elf
and a late appearance from Martin as Shifty Pitflaps the Goblin

Hmm, the group in this game was actually a nascent version of the Whartson Aethernauts. :) According to some of the remarks in the Steam Pirates sessions, this game was even recorded in the very same chamber that BJB uses for his current 'net-mediated RPG larks.

#3 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Check out this thread at a T&T fandom site, where BJB shares racey anecdotes and divulges sundry scrumptious secrets from the Monsters! Monsters! pre-game prep:

Big Jack, can you tell us what each of the "secrets" that the monsters carried was? i am very interested in running a scenario like this, and i really love the idea of each monster having a secret, but i didn't catch what each characters secret was just through listening to the course of play.

Unfortunately my computer died screaming a couple of weeks ago; as yet I don't have everything properly organised on the replacement. I can tell you what secrets were on the cards, but offhand I can't tell you which ones were picked by which player:

Spoiler

Personal secrets:
Spoiler

Hope that helps. I think that Margot managed to pick a secret love for humans, particularly kids, which was practically designed to cause problems for her, and Jeremy just wanted to take over the world and have everyone kneel at his feet.

While we're at it, here are the character notes:

Spoiler

Defenders of Bunco Keep:
Spoiler

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:10 AM

http://www.rpgmp3.co...sters-monsters/

gallery_10823_5_177957.jpg

#5 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:42 AM

I did enjoy this one! I sooo love playing Evielll... :cool:

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 August 2013 - 09:53 AM

Perhaps it's time to persuade BJB to run some more Monsters! Monsters!, then. ;)

Coming 2013: Jeremy Returns: His Darker Elf.

#7 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hum, can't reply to that without saying "Spoilers!" ;)

#8 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 21 August 2013 - 09:35 AM

73452.gif

#9 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 03:01 AM

Maybe not in the way you've interpreted it though PM...

#10 ScaleGraze

ScaleGraze

Goblin

• Contributors
  • 105 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

This is hilarious!

The whole concept, from the secrets to the ridiculous characters.  Absolutely brilliant!

Well done all.

#11 kendoyle659

kendoyle659

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 440 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:27 AM

I loved the rapid movement around the courtyard to avoid the fire

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 22 August 2013 - 09:40 AM

And their secret entrance via the privy. Don't forget the privy.

Come to think of it, it's pretty hard to erase the image of a Shoggoth being squeezed through the heart-shaped cut-out in a privy door from your memory.

Halloween-play-dough-fun.jpg

#13 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 23 August 2013 - 01:01 PM

Hum, can't reply to that without saying "Spoilers!" ;)

Maybe not in the way you've interpreted it though PM...

*coff*

Em...

Did no one else hear that?

I don't think @riddles can go around saying things like that without providing at least a little more information!

Tease!

#14 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 August 2013 - 03:04 PM

I don't think @riddles can go around saying things like that without providing at least a little more information!

I bet he can ;) 

#15 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 07 February 2014 - 06:47 AM

Quoted from RPG.net:

In some ways I think that the D&D vs. T&T debate comes down to a single point:

Would you rather cry "Magic Missile!" or "Take That, You Fiend!" in combat?

Mind you, let's not forgot that D&D didn't get Magic Missile until the supplements appeared.

If you find TTYF silly then you'll probably have a hard time feeling comfortable with T&T. It's not a silly game, but it has light-hearted, almost frivolous elements and the spell list is the most obvious. I've played and run both games and generally prefer T&T, although there's much that I like about D&D and think that its first edition remains in many ways its best: later editions seemed increasingly to try to justify D&D's abstractions in terms of "realistic" mechanics, leading to all sorts of absurdities and contradictions.

For spell casting characters T&T offers a broad list of spells from the start, able to be used repeatedly, and I find that makes wizards more appealing and vital at lower levels. Indeed, basing character classes on whether or not you can use magic, rather than what your profession is, sits better with me and minimizes justifications for why a particular character can't do something, or wear armour and so forth. I love the flexibility of the Saving Roll system in T&T and the ease of, well, just about everything. It's also quite clearly written compared to D&D. A problem you can see in many articles and books from the time is that a good many D&D players clearly learned from people who already played the game. For anyone learning from the book T&T was a damn sight easier to get to grips with; and before long we had solo adventures to help with the process. Here's an interesting snippet:

"The combat and magic system of Tunnels and Trolls are slightly more complicated than Dungeons and Dragons but not enough to impede play of the game... All in all, Tunnels and Trolls provides a reasonable alternative to Dungeons and Dragons. The problem, as I see it, is that there is no need to seek an alternative, with the possible exception of economy." J. Eric Holmes, Fantasy Role Playing Games, Arms and Armour Press 1981.

Holmes got into D&D early and edited the first basic set. He's pretty much the only person I've heard express the notion that D&D is less complicated than T&T, but if you start out with Gygax and Arneson's game then I can understand how T&T could look peculiar. It's not that the rules are actually harder, but they have a very different approach and nomenclature. One more quotation comes to mind:

"Frankly, if I had to run a fantasy campaign today, I'd probably use the Tunnels & Trolls rules. Yes, they're dumb, but they're simple, and they're adequate to my needs." Greg Costikyan, letter to Space Gamer issue 76, Sep/Oct 1985.

"Dumb" is putting it rather strongly, but then this is Greg Costikyan. For all my explorations of and experiments with other games it's T&T which has most often been the one I could grab and run easily, fitting it to dramatically different styles of adventure with the least bending of the rules and, importantly, without feeling that I needed to add a whole load of stuff in. It has problems, but T&T is simple, and adequate to my needs. Doesn't mean I can't enjoy a good game of D&D, of course.

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:23 AM

gandalf-i-have-no-memory.gif

#17 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 February 2014 - 11:21 AM

After @lordof1 makes some rather novel suggestions re: seduction strategies for half-serpents:

BJB: *Sigh* "Why did I call this adventure "Creeps on the Borderlands"? Ah, now I remember..." :(

#18 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 08 April 2015 - 03:22 AM

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge