8 replies to this topic

#1 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 15 March 2013 - 03:56 PM

With my possible return I suppose it becomes time to explain the sudden vanishing of the Gate Campers and Tropis/Saturnine Snows audio episodes.

Surprisingly it wasn't due to drama (for a change). Essentially I had lost control of my own creation (Tropis) and the beast had become too large and vicious for me to handle. Recordings became a drag and while the Gate Campers were fantastic people to game with I simply didn't have it in me any more. I could say I was burned out, but I suspect disillusioned would perhaps be closer to the mark. In the end I did the only right thing I could in that situation, I decided to halt recordings, step outside and discover the real world for a while.

This did me the world of good. :)

I explored science fiction for a time. Took up BattleTech and MechWarrior: Online. Delved into the sordid world of EVE: Online. The most important event, however, was going to college. I am now well on my way to attending University to put my experienced to good use and study (probably clinical) psychology. Leaving Tropis had embracing the real world was exactly what I needed to save me from myself, essentially: finally allowing me to defeat the depression that always caused me (and my friends) so much strife.

So that is where I have been for the past year and why The Gate Campers and Saturnine Snows came to an abrupt end. For those who enjoyed listening to the Gate Campers and miss them, I can only hope that you accept my apologies and understand my reasons. :)

Peace. X

Daniel.

#2 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 March 2013 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the honesty Danny, your health is paramount obviously. I'm sure many of us can empathise with some of your situation, if only creating homebrew worlds that at some stage take more than they give and need to be let go of...

All the best for the future, especially what with going to uni!

#3 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 03 April 2013 - 08:28 PM

.... study (probably clinical) psychology....

Best of luck in your degree quest. If the program at your university is like the one I did, you'll probably be forced to take a smattering of courses in developmental, biopsych, and social in addition to your chosen concentration. The only two pieces of advice I'd offer are a) keep an open mind about the angle you take toward planning your courses, I started toward developmental/child psych and quickly got out because I couldn't tolerate the various outdated theories on developmental stages; and b) pester the faculty for opportunities to get involved in their research, I found it to be a better way to find out about the state of understanding and investigation than any course I took.

#4 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 16 May 2013 - 03:59 PM

And for those of you curious. After having my application for less than 24-hours, the University accepted me.

I will be starting Uni this September! *somuchhappy*

#5 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 16 May 2013 - 04:59 PM

Congratulations!

Have you signed up for classes yet, or is it a bit too early?

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 May 2013 - 04:47 AM

Hurray!

#7 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 21 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

...or is it a bit too early?

Tad too early, I'm afraid.

#8 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:28 PM

Recorded my first game in a long, long time the Tuesday just gone and boy does editing it feel weird.

For old times sake I listened to some of the older Tropis stuff and I'm quite taken aback at just how much my style has changed. A lot of the usual tropes are there - the dramatic (almost Kirk-eske) pauses in my dialogue. But the over-reliance on 'big-words' and 'grim dark' for the sake of 'grim dark' has faded. The work as a whole seems to have benefit from my more stable mental state.

Having Jess (of the PGers) and Alex (of the same) back in Tropis is something I never thought I would see again. Them, combined with my 13yo brother, Regan, has given this campaign a sense of familiarity; yet also freshness.

Tropis too has changed. It is no longer a tool for self-therapy, instead it is a stimulus for group enjoyment. Its actually really fun to run - something else I didn't think I would see again.

Recording the next session in a couple of days and I have to say, I'm really looking forward to it.

Daniel.

#9 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 30 June 2013 - 04:45 PM

As the avatar says, I find your lack of pants disturbing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge