• Create Account

Amazing value Hero source book PDFs

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 March 2013 - 01:02 AM

Check out the Hero Games store for some amazing PDF source book deals. Change the "category" from "6th edition" to say "Star Hero" or "Pulp Hero" and all these wonderful source books pop up that'd be good with any version. To give you an idea:

Pulp Hero:
Masterminds & Madmen $11
Thrilling Places $9

Star Hero:
Scourges of the Galaxy $9

Fantasy Hero:
The Atlantean Age $10
Turakian Age $11

Lovely!

:)

#2 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 10 March 2013 - 08:31 PM

Wasn't Hero Games a bit complex?

I seem to remember running across a copy of the fifth edition book and finding the system very cumbersome and unwieldy. I mean you could totally make any character you had ever thought of, but GURPS seemed like it would be the more satisfying system to use.

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 11 March 2013 - 05:48 AM

I may just retreat hurriedly from ground zero as Jomster detonates... ;-)

#4 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 03:19 PM

May I suggest calling Pat Mills a buffoon as the next conversational gambit (we're trying to give J an aneurysm, aren't we?)

Seriously, I've often been out of the zero system by the sheer size and scariness of the rules. What is it exactly about them that inspires such love?

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:12 PM

It's a toolkit. Take as much or as little as you want. You could argue the core rules got too bloated over time, but they've recently issued a compact edition "Champions Complete" which gives you everything you need in a MUCH slimmer book. It has an old school feeling and is one of my favourite books.

Underlying the game is a principles based way of thinking, which works for me. Very different to the reams of lookup tables in some games.

The mechanics in game are simple and fluid.

It's good at supers, perhaps unsurprisingly as its origins were in that genre.

For me this is where most of my gaming memories are, so it scores a lot of points for this.

Ps. It's a good job you said Pat Mills rather than John Wagner!

#6 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:23 PM

Oopsie, zero system was an autocorrect typo :oops: I wasn't bring rude, just interested! (well, not deliberately rude, anyway)

So it's a game where the character creation is comprehensive/complicated, but it runs smoothly. I'd like to try it - or at least listen to such actual play. Any out there?

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:25 PM

Apart from the audio with you in it, you mean? :wink:

#8 lordof1

lordof1

Goblin

• Members
  • 159 posts

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:28 PM

Lol, yes, apart from that one - to be fair, that was a very stripped down version, I didn't feel I got a flavour of the system (plus I was rather busy with lawsuits). Feel like running it?

Ps I'm never going to be rude about John Wagner - the man is a living god :)

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2013 - 04:30 PM

So it's a game where the character creation is comprehensive/complicated, but it runs smoothly.

More "It's a game which can be as simple or as complex as you prefer", I'd say. That also runs smoothly. :)

#10 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 12 March 2013 - 08:52 AM

Ignore him Nick - I'm trying to get my head around it after 10, sorry 15(!!) years or so and it's bl**dy complicated! :P

#11 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 March 2013 - 04:31 PM

Ignore him Nick - I'm trying to get my head around it after 10, sorry 15(!!) years or so and it's bl**dy complicated! :P

Horses for course I think. For example, I'm totally lost with Pathfinder! All those tables and rules just don't work for me. Too many rule books, too many character types, domains, incremental bonuses to specified lists of things as you level up. There's too much and it's all confusing. Not like Hero... :wink:

Repeat after me, Hero is best, hero is best, Hero is beeeeeeesssssstttttttt!

#12 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 03:30 AM

What tables? It's roll d20 & add/subtract stuff.

Hero will be fine - I just need to run a few encounters to sort it again :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge