#42 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 13 February 2013 - 03:33 PM

That's very awesome Lindsay! Don't be shy to show your work :D

P-S.: Creating stuff digitally isn't that different from doing it traditionally. You just have to use Photoshop/Corel Painter/Gimp/Open Canvas (any visual software really) and one of those puppy:
Posted Image

They take some time getting use to but it is not so hard.

#43 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:05 PM

Look at the first page of this thread for the last update.

:D Enjoy :D

#44 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 13 February 2013 - 09:10 PM

Timmy!

I would know him anywhere.

I think this group portrait shows just how well our subtle band can blend in anywhere.

#45 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 02:15 AM

Very cool. I know I'd be scared, were I a Tower Girl.

#46 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 18 February 2013 - 07:28 AM

Awesome work sir :)

Love it :) Now you are going to have Lindsay after a tablet for digital sketching :P

I love Lindsay's sketches. I think they are awesome. That is her steampunk inspired collection that she is thinking about making in the near-ish future. What do you all think of it? :)

I just wish I could draw at all. Even my stick figures are out of proportion :(

Hal :hal:

#47 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 18 February 2013 - 10:29 AM

Wow! What a bunch of freaks they are! Timmy may not look much like a freak, but he's clearly not entirely human, what with the balls of steel he needs to have no qualms about dealing with those other three.

#48 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 18 February 2013 - 06:19 PM

Im not sure I could use a tablet, I resist change quite hard. I like my pencil and paper quite a lot. That being said, i like the idea of being able to pre-load a template of a form and just draw clothes on it sometimes, rather than draw the whole body first, but im kind of lazy and sketching is NOT something that comes naturally to me. :)

Timmy is ace :)

#49 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 19 February 2013 - 04:39 PM

Well thanks. Also, if you resist the tablet idea, perhaps a light table and some human model sketched from photography might just do the trick?

As for Hal, if your stick figures are out of proportion I'm afraid none of my tips can help you... except this one: practice, practice and then practice some more... and one day maybe you shall draw the most magnificent of stick people! :D

#50 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 21 February 2013 - 11:46 AM

A light table is something I have considered, for a few different projects; tracing vintage hat patterns etc is an arse, especially with my eye sight, and my room has terrible light.

Actually, maybe we should start a non-gaming chat post so we don't piss off the "normals" with our "weird" sketching conversation.. you know what they get like if we get too off topic, but Im liking the opportunity to chat with a real live artist :).

#51 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:19 PM

This seems relevant to the new direction of the discussion. Not being an artist myself it is pretty much all I have to contribute to the subject.

http://sheldoncomics...eldontalk/9385/

#52 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 21 February 2013 - 07:27 PM

A good light box is a fairly cheap solution for small projects as well.

#53 MrGunpowder

MrGunpowder

Gentleman

• Members
  • 64 posts
  • LocationQuébec

Posted 22 February 2013 - 07:10 AM

We could get a Art section going. And get all the art to be in the same spot. That could be nice.

Also: You can make a light table out of a recycled lamp, a plexiglass window and a briefcase with a rectangular whole in it. (some superglue assembly required :D)

#54 Twyst

Twyst

Kobold

• Site Artist
  • 88 posts
  • LocationOceanside, CA

Posted 22 February 2013 - 05:12 PM

I do sketch better on paper but I'm trying to fix that by forcing myself to do these lovely exercises. I'm finding that even if sketching is more natural on paper, making corrections to the sketch is very nice on Photoshop.

I, like you, always found it easier to sketch on paper despite how much I loved the abilities of PS. Recently however, I have found new software, designed for sketching and other things. It is amazing how much better it is for my process than PS, which of course has only mutated toward digital painting from the original photo-manipulation goals. I highly recommend checking out some digital art software.

The one I ended up with is Manga Studio. It's generally made for digital comics and the sketch layer is so much better than even my customized setup of PS. A huge factor for me is the correction option which effectively smooths curves and takes away my jittery hand and PS's notoriously poor stroke translation through Wacom tablets. The learning curve is nowhere near PS and once I went through a few projects to get started it has become a lot of fun. Imagine that - art is fun again instead of knowing what I want, knowing what must be done and muscling PS to do it.

A side note - the color abilities of Manga Studio EX4 are far behind PS so I still use PS. However, they are coming out with an upgrade, I believe very soon, that should vastly improve even that. In the mean time, I have started to experiment with other painting software built to have a more natural, organic look. Haven't decided on one yet and all I know how to do without training more in PS makes it hard to give up for now.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge