2 replies to this topic

#1 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I didn't see this mentioned before on the forum so I thought I'd share and see if anyone else has played this version and has a review:

Baldur's Gate has been 'remade', and is a bit pricy for a remake, but there is a a windows and iPad version out now, with an android and mac version coming soon.

http://www.baldursgate.com/

#2 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 10 January 2013 - 04:04 PM

I've been playing it (slowly, to make it last), on my iPad, and I've just started another game on my new iPad mini. I played it on PC when it was originally released (a disturbingly long time ago).

The fights are hard (which I like), you need to plan, and use some tactics , and if you wander round exploring, you will come across random monsters, and sometimes they'll be noticeably higher level than you, and munch your party into tiny little pieces :D (the EE has a slider so you can change the difficulty if you want to).

As far as I can tell it's well implemented AD&D 2nd edition. it runs in real time, but you can make the combat run turn by turn by pausing (or setting the auto-pause options). I really appreciate How much you can see in the isometric view, it's lovely not to have to fight with a camera.

There's a big overarching story, with many side quest you can do, but also, most of the characters who can join you party have another story they want you to go and do. Speaking of these characters, they all have character, particularly Minsc with his giant space hamster Boo.

Re cost ... This is $20 for 80+ hours of entertainment on the PC, or $10 with another $10 of optional IAP on the iPad. And that's amazing value, even without the nostalgia of being killed by exactly the same room full of spiders as I was in my youth ;)

There's a few bugs still in it, particularly in multiplayer, and a few annoying things that are iPad only (like trying to find doors) but I follow the developer on twitter, and he says they are testing a new release now, that should help things.

I highly recommend it. Just make sure you save often.

#3 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 10 January 2013 - 06:26 PM

even without the nostalgia of being killed by exactly the same room full of spiders as I was in my youth ;)

That room! I remember that room! Looks like I lucked out, I get the nostalgia for free!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge