6 replies to this topic

#1 Kaloth

Kaloth

This is a subtitle

• Patrons
  • 18 posts
  • Location73

Posted 30 December 2012 - 06:38 PM

So I am a member of my college's gaming society, which spends meets once a week for 6 hours to play board games and such. Recently I've been in a group that has been tied in a campaign (effectively removing 6 people from playing other games)

This semester I plan on running one-shot games for half the time, which would free up everyone, and allow more people to be able to play in games rahter than just being stuck. I'd like to run them in some Indie systems instead of just running the same old same old with pregens, but I only know of a couple.

Anyone have any suggestions?

#2 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 31 December 2012 - 01:54 PM

Anyone have any suggestions?

I heard a playtest of a game called Pantheon on RPPR. It's highly narative and allows for player interaction using what sounds like a pretty straightforward system. It has a scoring system based on what the players work into the narrative, but that seems wholly unnecessary, unless the players are used to playing games that have a winner. I haven't been able to track down a copy of the book on this one, but I understand that there are a number of different setting suggestions in it using the same narative mechanic.

You might also try something from the Munchkin series of card games. Not strictly an RPG, but if your crowd is used to board games, something from this series might be an easy sell.

#3 Kaloth

Kaloth

This is a subtitle

• Patrons
  • 18 posts
  • Location73

Posted 31 December 2012 - 05:06 PM

I'll definitely check it out. Yeah the club has every munchkin in it's collection so those definitely get played a lot. Right now the big ones I'm looking at are Fiasco, Paranoia (friend wants me to run it), FATE, and Og. I'm looking into getting my hands on dread but I'm having trouble finding a copy.

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:42 AM

InSpectres! I haven't tried it myself, but if the actual play recordings that the YGGernauts have posted are to be trusted, then it's an incredibly fun game - both for the players, the GM (who only needs to put in approx. 5 minutes of prep work) and any accidental bystanders. :D

Here's some links, if you wish to check out the recordings:

http://www.rpgmp3.co...iewtopic&t=5704

http://www.rpgmp3.co...iewtopic&t=4581

http://www.rpgmp3.co...iewtopic&t=4593

http://www.rpgmp3.co...iewtopic&t=5407

#5 Zatsi

Zatsi

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 10 posts
  • LocationPearland, Texas

Posted 11 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

Just gonna go ahead and toss Everyone is John in there, it's great fun and pretty dang simple to get a hang of.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 25 January 2013 - 10:08 AM

Just gonna go ahead and toss Everyone is John in there, it's great fun and pretty dang simple to get a hang of.

Yeah, the Order of the Ass, Kicking here on the site played a one-off session of that game. It sounded like some good, solid schizoid-deranged fun, especially when they got Becky to play. :)

#7 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 26 January 2013 - 01:23 PM

I was just going to suggest that Monkey! Killsplosion is a good fairly rules light one shot game. Action oriented PVP wacky mayhem. If you know Savage Worlds/Deadlands there are several one page scenarios for Deadlands. 5 or so available for free If I recall correctly.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge