30 replies to this topic

#21 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 18 December 2012 - 06:32 PM

One thing I really liked about the patron's forum was that it was one place that had all the audio. If I'd been away listening to an audiobook for a few weeks, when I came back it was really easy to workout where I was up to and what I'd missed. I find that much harder to do when new audio is spread across many separate forums. Between the incredibly sporadic posting of audio, the difficulty in finding it even when it's there, and the lack of new stuff from BAG and Whartson Hall (in either face to face games, or Internet), rpgmp3 has fallen off my list of websites to regularly check.

None of this is a solution I'm afraid, but before anyone tries a publicity push, I think a regular release schedule would be helpful, as well as an easier way to find the files for downloading.

#22 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 18 December 2012 - 09:54 PM

Smithmeg makes a good point, the forums are chock full of groups, and the Home and Downloads pages are pretty old too. There's also quite a lot of older but interesting content that's scattered across the Modules. I'd love to see that all collated and cleaned up.

I've just added pages to our Wiki that have direct links to all the episodes for each campaign. Hopefully that makes it easier to find all the various campaigns, should I ever trim them from our RSS feed.

#23 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 18 December 2012 - 10:45 PM

Yeah, organization is key, but I think we also need to highlight our "exclusive content", which I would assume would be those determined by the highest download numbers or those provided by "exclusive RPGMP3" groups. I think... off the top of my head that means BAG, WHG and Lindsay/Hal (with whomever), with perhaps the other guys being featured in the "community podcast"

Ya know, exclusive groups come to the patrons first, then are highlighted on the community feed when they reach public release?

#24 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 December 2012 - 12:01 AM

Organization and easy access to the download is one of the aims of the work Thing and I are doing.

I have been arranging and cataloguing everything and getting it organized so that it is much much easier to locate content than before.

We are hoping to see these changes starting to come through to the site before the end of the year depending on how some essential coding goes...

Hal :hal:

#25 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2012 - 02:22 AM

I wonder if an Audio Archive Club would work? A bit like the book club on Yoggie Chat? So it could have it's own folder and each week there would be a selected session (with links to the source material) and that would focus chat on some of the golden oldies.

#26 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 19 December 2012 - 03:06 PM

What I'd really love is for Hal and Lindsay to sit down and just talk about the older campaigns. Bonus points if other players from those campaigns can be Skyped into the conversation. It'd be fun to hear Fin and Steve reminiscing about WLD, and Glen(n?) about Rolemaster and BtMoM.

Thinking a little bit more, it's potentially a huge investment to listen to a complete campaign. Having more information at the start, and knowing there's a player's conversation at the end would make it more enticing.

EDIT: if those summaries were Patron-only, and the older, "better" campaigns were Patron-only, that might help. I believe YSDC has also made their older audio available only to Patrons.

#27 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 December 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm liking some ideas I am seeing here - keep them coming.

I am glad we can talk about things like this without panic setting in :P

#28 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 20 December 2012 - 09:28 AM

Posted Image

#29 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:03 PM

I'm liking some ideas I am seeing here - keep them coming.

I am glad we can talk about things like this without panic setting in :P

It makes me happy as well. :D

#30 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts

Posted 20 December 2012 - 05:16 PM

I've updated the Gaming Grunts's wiki campaign page at http://www.thegaming...e=Our_Campaigns so that there are campaign-specific pages with direct links to the MP3 files plus the text I used either on the blog or on the forum postings to announce the episodes.

Something like this would be very nice to see on this site. I'm sure Thing and Hal could make it totally awesome.

#31 SolidSquid

SolidSquid

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 April 2013 - 04:49 AM

In terms of reducing costs, have you considered moving more archival stuff to bittorrent? It would mean that members could help with distribution and reduce the load on the server.

Another option could be hosting the files on an Amazon EC2 server rather than on the RPGMP3 servers, company I work for does that because their server can't manage the load hosting media files puts on them. Would depend on how much it would cost, but might be worth looking into

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge