#21 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 December 2012 - 07:13 PM

Yeah, these people having lives sucks.. Just not as commited as Hal and I :wink:

#22 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:35 AM

Hal: "Are you serious?! We just finished the big boss end-of-level fight, and then we run into another encounter?"
H. Canuckski: "Who said that was the big fight?" :twisted:
Hal: Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Yeah, it did seem somewhat unfair to let the PCs go straight from one big, taxing fight to another large encounter without even a chance to avoid or circumnavigate it. Did the scenario give the players a chance to make a perception check or somesuch, so they might get a heads-up from their tingling Tengu-senses that there's trouble at t' mill? It would have made the ensuing confrontation a lot more survivable, if the players could try to escape out the back or fortify themselves inside the building when they're fighting the goons.

Also, you missed out on an excellent opportunity for mature and sophisticated comedy:

Terisha: "Hand over the Shard, and you might be able to walk away from here without getting hu-"
*Surprise round: Ranged attack, followed by a Wet splatting noise*
Terisha: "I said 'Hand over the Shard', not the shart!" :evil:
Hal: :lol: "Hur hur hur! Poo goblins."

Terisha.

I went with Terry-Sha!* with a pathetic attempt at a pretentious Brooklyn accent. I spent about three weeks practicing it and then, on the night, completely forgot all my practice and utterly ruined what I'd practiced but hopefuly she made a memorable impression booting the pet cat off the wall like that when it was clawing at her feet as she clambered off to escape into the night.

That's what happened in my session anyway. Don't know what happened in yours. I'm still listening to it.

* Terry-SHA Ski-Loan-ee as in "TeriSHA's got skillz Byatch." You know. Arrogant, self assured, gangster stuff like wot she iz.

A magically enhanced whip is kinda pimp, but a sawn-off heavy crossbow would have been wayyy more gangsta. :)

And just FIY: it's pronounced Terry-hyphen-sha.

#23 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 December 2012 - 07:59 AM

If I remember right there may have been a tiny chance to see that the house was watched, something dc 25 or more. Effectively no chance for most parties, and no reason to roll for many. That may have just been what I rolled for their stealth in my game rather than a book dc though. The lady was a professional thief, and was actually watching the group enter from some distance away if I remember correctly, which puts penalties on the perception checks to notice her.

#24 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:10 AM

Yup, spontaneous caster with 4 level 1 spells a day. I burned a clw on Misaki before we entered the building lat session followed by a burning hands on the stirges and 2 more in the final room, leaving me about useless.

A spontaneous caster with a god that has a good weapon, like a heavy mace or bastard sword. :D

Yeah, the burned curse giving me a -4 to attacks with weapons really makes me even not much of a distraction once I am out of spell juice.

Does the Blackened curse do anything besides letting you add Burning Hands to your spell list? It doesn't seem like much of a fair trade for a -4 penalty to all attacks - but then again, that's probably why they call it a curse. ;)

If I remember right there may have been a tiny chance to see that the house was watched, something dc 25 or more. Effectively no chance for most parties, and no reason to roll for many. That may have just been what I rolled for their stealth in my game rather than a book dc though. The lady was a professional thief, and was actually watching the group enter from some distance away if I remember correctly, which puts penalties on the perception checks to notice her.

Lockhart handled it with his usual aplomb and excellent GMing skills, though. :) It was a good compromise to let Timmy the Orphan take the initiative to run for help - when the creepy Uncle Fester arrived to save the day, it may very well have swung the battle from "Near-TPK" to "Survivable". Heck, even Gary the intern made it back in one piece, more or less.
As an added bonus, when Timmy mentioned that he'd "used all the silver pieces you gave me, as a gift to Fester, sir", not only did it provide a strong rationale for the sudden arrival of reinforcements, but it also rewarded the PCs for their interaction with the NPCs. Sterling work and some solid improvisation, Mr Huggy Canuck.

#25 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:45 AM

Does the Blackened curse do anything besides letting you add Burning Hands to your spell list? It doesn't seem like much of a fair trade for a -4 penalty to all attacks - but then again, that's probably why they call it a curse. ;)

I get more fire spells at later levels , if I survive, and the penalty will cut in half at level 10, but that is mostly it... And the smell of seared bacon, but that is a mixed blessing.

#26 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2012 - 02:40 PM

Ok, who wants to write a re-cap of what happened in the last session, as I have, erm, maybe not remembered as well as I should have :oops:

1st person to post a mini recap gets.. my eternal gratitude, and a mention on the audio :wink:

#27 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:00 PM

Ok, who wants to write a re-cap of what happened in the last session, as I have, erm, maybe not remembered as well as I should have :oops:

1st person to post a mini recap gets.. my eternal gratitude, and a mention on the audio :wink:

The party faced a goblin snake in the muck, an insane lady on the rafters throwing entangle bombs, goblins in the attic throwing poo bombs and playing whack-a-mole when people climbed the ladder.

Then they were ambushed again when trying to leave the building. Timmy brought help.

Then they delivered Natalia back to the Pathfinder Society.

#28 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 05 December 2012 - 03:05 PM

Something like this?

ok, we went into the sewer palace (Run down house in underbridge where Natasha Van Kaskerkin was hiding).

Fought several sewer goblins and some stirges. We all fell in the muck and probably contracted filth fever. Then fought Natasha in the rafters with her goblin guards and a goblin snake down bellow. She was acting delusional, like she was high and mighty. I used up my last burning hands in the fight. After rendering her unconcious , we stripped her of her stuff. Misaki picked up the shard (Relic/aritifact piece we where looking for ) and started acting even more in charge/etc.

We left the house carrying Natasha only to find a lady with a whip and thugs waiting for us that demanded the shard. We fought, Timmy showed up having given money to Fenster the Blight to come help us. He fought a few rounds before retreating with some wounds. Niramor went down. The lady attempted to search and Coup de Grace Natasha. After I got a lucky hit and finished the last thug she decided to retreat, I think you hit her one more time as she left.

Then I stabilized Natasha, and poured my healing potion down Niramors mouth reviving him. Then we departed with timmy, Niramoor carrying Natasha again, and you insisted on leading as we followed you back to the manor house.

Once we where there you commanded the servants to run you a bath and you went in to soak while we cleaned up in the guest shack. When we closed we where getting ready to see the lady of the house and I think you had dowsed yourself with 3 or 4 bottles of the choicest perfume available.

#29 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 December 2012 - 06:47 PM

I would have gone with: you just finished Part Two of the story and survived its boss encounter by the skin of your teeth and a genrous gm. You had just been invited in to the mansion to start Part Three. Top of page 24 actually.

#30 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 05 December 2012 - 08:58 PM

Did the scenario give the players a chance to make a perception check or somesuch, so they might get a heads-up from their tingling Tengu-senses that there's trouble at t' mill?

While approaching the shit house from the outside pc's may make perception checks to notice Terisha Skiloni lying flat on a rooftop nearby (with her massive stealth skill and plenty of cover). So while it's possible it's very improbable.

#31 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:34 AM

My oh my, the things to talk about.

Yes, some of the encounters are challenging to unfair. It's Greg Vaughn, he kinda specializes in that stuff. But it is worth mentioning that retreat is always a possibility, and not many orpf the fights inside the poo mansion would've pursued.

In regards to an NPC, in the character creation there was talk about it, but the consensus seemed to be to do without. I've no problem running an NPC, but I do not force such things into a party.

Temple of Time is still going, I'm just pushing Hal out of the GM chair on occasion cause I like running pathfinder adventures. :P

In regards to the fight with Terisha (for the record, Balgin, I wish I though of approaching them the way you did, and you'll probably hear my attempt at a Boston or New York accent for some of the girls in the future), I think it's important to know a certain optional nature to it. The primary goal is killing Natalya and recovering the shard, and by sacrificing one or the other, or both, it's possible to avoid fighting it altogether in my mind, but there are certain moral problems about that, however the story itself can continue with natalya dead and the shard taken by the Tower girls. The situation also changes quite a bit if the group emerge from the building before encountering natalya. I do believe if you check episode one I prompt a perception check before entering Natalya's base, but as others have said, chances if spotting Terisha are low.

P-M, you do flatter me. I'll admit I was swinging things to give a bit of advantage to the party, but it did seem within character for Timmy and Felster, especially considering the party had been fairly generous to Felster. I'm also kinda of fond of the character of Felster, as a player I'd be taking huge advantage of an NPC like that, crude and distasteful though he may be, someone who can reliable do odd jobs and doesn't shy from a fight is useful. But all the same, most people won't fight to the death for another, unless they're decent friends. Money is no good if you can spend it, and you can't rely on other people to help you in The Shadow if you're unconscious and bleeding,

Anyway, just wanted to say, while I've been quite quiet, really enjoying the conversation of these couple episodes so far. :D

#32 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:45 PM

Re: Tower Girls, how about a Valley Girl accent? :-)

#33 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 07 December 2012 - 03:49 PM

Great, now I have "She's a Tower Girl" stuck in my head.

This better clear up before I write down lyrics

#34 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:08 PM

Great, now I have "She's a Tower Girl" stuck in my head.

This better clear up before I write down lyrics

As soon as I saw I started sing Tower Girl to the tune of Barbie Girl by Aqua... and then I mourned. :D

#35 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 07 December 2012 - 05:29 PM

The situation also changes quite a bit if the group emerge from the building before encountering natalya.

My group actualy did that.

They wanted to walk around the building to the boarded up windows they'd seen from the inside to circumvent some of the danger and I had to make a judgement call on wether Terisha would approach them there and then or wait to see what they would do.

It helped that I had 2 players missing that session so their characters could stay outside on watch.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge