38 replies to this topic

#21 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 11:58 AM

Wow, that's cool. But didn't you tell the rogue to not stab things in the back that you were fighting because it was dishonorable? =)

#22 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 01 December 2012 - 12:09 PM

Yeah, although he did say only if he was fighting one on one. I think if we face somebody that either outmatches us well, or has a few minions about he might adjust that attitude. Then again, our last fight in session 2 might have changed his mind a bit.

#23 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 01:30 PM

Wow, that's cool. But didn't you tell the rogue to not stab things in the back that you were fighting because it was dishonorable? =)

Ah yes :)

But I am happy for that to just apply to foes who are not creepy and supernatural and weird :) I might be honorable but I am not stupid ;)

Hal :hal:

#24 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 01 December 2012 - 02:00 PM

I might be honorable but I am not stupid ;)

ummm, Int 9. ?

Although you are wise.

#25 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 07:00 PM

I might be honorable but I am not stupid ;)

ummm, Int 9. ?

Although you are wise.

Plus the rouge doesn't need to listen :D

#26 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:07 PM

Hey,

At least I don't think I'm stupid, but INT 9 might not let me realise how wrong I am :P

#27 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 02 December 2012 - 06:16 PM

Hey,

At least I don't think I'm stupid, but INT 9 might not let me realise how wrong I am :P

ITs not that bad, your INT is the same as Garys Dex

#28 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 03 December 2012 - 12:09 AM

My Ability Scores are currently:
STR - 19
DEX - 14
CON - 14
INT - 9
WIS - 18
CHA - 8

Wait a sec, why are your flurries at -1, or do you mean just -1 compared to a regular attack? Because normally you'd be at +4 to hit with melee and +2 to hit with ranged, so a flurry would be +3/+3 or +2/+2, unless I am just hearing it wrong.

#29 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 11:08 AM

Incidentally, when you guys visited the drug-dealing fortune-teller, Whatsisname the Fantabulous, you wondered how to knock on a tent flap. Steven Brust's Jhereg books (some rather excellent and inventive fantasy novels) have a lot of people living in houses where doors are replaced by drapes and curtains - it's a cultural thing, apparently. Instead of knocking on the wall, people clap their hands to announce their presence before entering a room.

On a related side note, the Swedish word for 'Christmas present', julklapp, literally means "Yule-clap"; the word derives from an old tradition of Norse Christmas ninjas. :)

I then made the character Middle Aged to gain the bonuses to mental stats and perform the Lesser Age Resistance every morning to offset the physical stat penalties.

A middle-aged guy who's recently started on a new, high-risk occupation? And he goes through a regime of strict physical and spiritual exercises every day, to fend off the beer belly and sagging moobs? Whoa, sounds like your Aasimar is dealing with a serious mid-life crisis, dude. ;) Is he going to start dating teenage Elf chicks and drive a muscle car(t), too? I bet he's got tattoos, already.

#30 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 04 December 2012 - 02:22 PM

Incidentally, when you guys visited the drug-dealing fortune-teller, Whatsisname the Fantabulous, you wondered how to knock on a tent flap. Steven Brust's Jhereg books (some rather excellent and inventive fantasy novels) have a lot of people living in houses where doors are replaced by drapes and curtains - it's a cultural thing, apparently. Instead of knocking on the wall, people clap their hands to announce their presence before entering a room.

I then made the character Middle Aged to gain the bonuses to mental stats and perform the Lesser Age Resistance every morning to offset the physical stat penalties.

That's so wonderfully munchkin-y! I love it! The pathfinder iconic wizard character is middle-aged in some of his stat write-ups, which got him to a 19 Int at level 1, which I quite liked.

As far as door knocking without doors, when my wife was in the Peace Corps in Benin, Africa lots of the huts only had a piece of fabric for a door. The Beninese would just say "ko ko ko", their onomatopoeia of "knock knock".

#31 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 06 December 2012 - 02:40 AM

I love this new information on how to announce intent to encounter tent flap doors. *filled away in world building portion of GM brain*

#32 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 09:11 AM

When Gary the intern Burning Hands'd the stirges in the upper crawlspace, he apparently ignited a pocket of sewer gas, and you guys discussed what effect that would have on the color of the flames.

According to fairly reliable sources (i.e. wikipedia), pure methane burns yellow when it's deprived of oxygen, but generates blue flames when it's sufficiently enriched. However, given that Gary's flames were produced by a spell, it would be reasonable to assume that they could have any color imaginable, with or without methane present, because magic.

(Short film that explains the nature of flame colours - watch out, you may end up humming "Pyrolysis, chemiluminescence, oxidation, incandescence" to yourself over and over, if you watch it to the very end) ;)

Tracy Butler's excellent webcomic Lackadaisy featured a burning distillery in one of the recent installments. Contrary to how it was depicted in the comic, neat alcohol burns blue, much like a methane/air mixture.

#33 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 December 2012 - 10:53 AM

When Gary the intern Burning Hands'd the stirges in the upper crawlspace, he apparently ignited a pocket of sewer gas, and you guys discussed what effect that would have on the color of the flames.

According to fairly reliable sources (i.e. wikipedia), pure methane burns yellow when it's deprived of oxygen, but generates blue flames when it's sufficiently enriched. However, given that Gary's flames were produced by a spell, it would be reasonable to assume that they could have any color imaginable, with or without methane present, because magic.

(Short film that explains the nature of flame colours - watch out, you may end up humming "Pyrolysis, chemiluminescence, oxidation, incandescence" to yourself over and over, if you watch it to the very end) ;)

Tracy Butler's excellent webcomic Lackadaisy featured a burning distillery in one of the recent installments. Contrary to how it was depicted in the comic, neat alcohol burns blue, much like a methane/air mixture.

Ah, an excellent response to a discussion on important scientific process to create a deeper sense of immersion within a RPG my good Monkey. A delightfully entertaining and education video link as well. I dare say, a rather decent point that the flames produced by a spell may be colored according to the Caster's desires as well.

#34 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 14 December 2012 - 11:09 AM

Ah, an excellent response to a discussion on important scientific process to create a deeper sense of immersion within a RPG my good Monkey. A delightfully entertaining and education video link as well. I dare say, a rather decent point that the flames produced by a spell may be colored according to the Caster's desires as well.

Suddenly I am envisioning a much more colorful battlefield.

Wait, can Gary choose to have plaid flames?

#35 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2013 - 02:30 AM

Just started this SIX HOUR epic. I've go to say, when Lindsay introduced herself as a bird at the start, I wasn't expecting her to actually be a BIRD! :)

Fun stuff, folks. Thanks for posting!

Reading the rules discussions above... Erm, a bit complicated isn't it? Makes Hero System look like D&D Basic... ;)

#36 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2013 - 02:08 PM

Only two hours left and I have to say, Master Lockhart's accents are a revelation! Good work, Sir!

#37 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:48 AM

Only two hours left and I have to say, Master Lockhart's accents are a revelation! Good work, Sir!

My thanks, I try to make my voices and accents slightly distinct and at the very least entertaining.

#38 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 10:53 AM

My thanks, I try to make my voices and accents slightly distinct and at the very least entertaining.

You do Ace work Lochart. You keep making me want to come up with a more distinct voice for my characters, but I have always been rubbish at it and end up slipping in and out of voice. I find if I can't keep it consistent it makes it even harder for people to tell if I am speaking in or out of character

#39 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 10:40 AM

You do Ace work Lochart. You keep making me want to come up with a more distinct voice for my characters, but I have always been rubbish at it and end up slipping in and out of voice. I find if I can't keep it consistent it makes it even harder for people to tell if I am speaking in or out of character

Get a special hat you put on when you're in character - that should work on the video version, at least. ;)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge