#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:39 PM

A small and unusually wimpy group of novice Pathfinders are recruited to track down an errant informant.

Shattered Star Session 01

Filesize: 349MB

Lockhart does an awesome job wrangling one of the wettest groups of PCs I have ever seen. Including my own self...

Hopefully we will live long enough to work through this awesome adventure path.

EPICs Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 17 November 2012 - 11:55 PM

You are going to die horribly thank you all. :D

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 12:28 AM

You are going to die horribly thank you all. :D

And I'll probably be 1st!

#4 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 18 November 2012 - 02:15 AM

Ooh, nice. My Sat group just wiped right before reaching the dungeon in Chapter 2. Our own fault for not healing up after slaughtering ---- something. Look forward to seeing another take on it.

#5 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 18 November 2012 - 04:17 AM

Hurrah! I've been waiting for this since August. :D

#6 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 18 November 2012 - 08:04 PM

Oooh, this sounds interesting! :)

Thank you, RPGMP3 Professionals! :D

#7 Peanuts

Peanuts

Raven

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 18 November 2012 - 11:37 PM

Ahhh, awesome. This should be good to listen to :)

EDIT: Damn those are big files though! :O

#8 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 19 November 2012 - 07:49 AM

Ahhh, awesome. This should be good to listen to :)

EDIT: Damn those are big files though! :O

Oh yes. That on top of the inevitable traffic hike from Hal posting new audio...took me something like an hour to get hold of these. Totally worth it, though. :)

Looking forward to more! :D

#9 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:16 PM

Oh yeah - these are monster long sessions of longness :)

What do you guys think? We really don't have a primary fighter in the group and we don't really have a wizard... should be interesting stuff to see if we can survive...

#10 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 19 November 2012 - 10:44 PM

Oooops! Forgot to add this :)

Shattered Star Session 01 Screencast

Cheers

#11 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 November 2012 - 09:13 AM

Have started listening to this, and it sounds quite promising so far. :)

Lindsay, you might want to check out some of the Rogue Trader game recordings at Fandible. They're a fantastic gaming group, and one of their players, Angela, plays a Kroot mercenary - basically a sentient gun-toting bird-like creature, or as one of the other players said: "Not bad for a space Chocobo". :D Angela uses a very simple but super-effective gimmick when speaking in character: she intersperses her normal speech with chirping bird-noises, it's hugely convincing and more than just a little bit unnerving.

There's a couple of video ads for the game, where you can hear some snippets of Angela's Kroot voice. You might want to use it as inspiration for Crow Girl, to make it more apparent to the other players and the listeners when you're talking in character.

Re: the discussion on Tengu eggs, and the eating thereof - if the act of eating a non-fertilized egg (that has been lain by a sentient avian creature) is considered evil, or even Eeeevil, then by the same token certain *ahem* deglutitive activities must be equally Evil. So, every time Thing (or his character) goes clubbing, a number of alignment checks would be in order. ;)

Hal, when you called your character a "paramore of virtue", was that just a slip of the tongue, or tongue-in-cheek? :) Your character, Chrome Dome*, really seems like a rerun of one of the many Lawful Good pain-in-the-posterior PCs that constantly scuppered the other PCs' morally dubious activities in previous games; he seems particularly reminiscent of Bilberry the halfling wizard from Castle Whiterock - he's even got the same voice.
Maybe you should try to play a less squeaky clean character at some point?

*You should have played a midget Aasimar, it would have made it so much easier to just call you Chrome Gnome... Ooh! Wait, your character is a pseudo-Chinese monk, and there are buddhists in Eastern Asia - Chrome D'Aum! :lol:

#12 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 11:00 AM

Thanks mate,

Yes - I wasn't happy with where the character was heading personality wise, so you will hear a distinct shift away from the preachy mud-stickiness in the second audio :)

I am now heading towards a more curious, naive, monastic, unworldly approach with the aim of being generally good and law abiding rather than being an annoying dick :P

Its a work in progress :P

#13 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 20 November 2012 - 04:53 PM

Is this the game you were thinking of playing a Synthesist in? or was that something else?

#14 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 06:42 PM

Just got the first real fight here, and boy, I thought TPK for certain, always a problem with a less than full group.

Is an Aasimar really a paragon though? They are really just outsider half breeds, not much different from a tiefling, really, just tending towards good. And how did you get CHA as such a dump stat with a racial +2? The min/maxer in me really likes them for paladins, so they can use both the cha and wis bonus.

#15 The_Emerald_Flame

The_Emerald_Flame

Stirge

• Members
  • 475 posts
  • LocationTasmania, Australia

Posted 30 November 2012 - 09:13 PM

I would assume that he used one of the racial archtypes from Blood of Angels to be a more specific type of Aasimar. At a guess, a Garuda-Blooded of an Archon-Blooded Aasimar.

#16 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 30 November 2012 - 10:24 PM

I can't recall what exactly, but Hal definitely did some tweaking using options together the most of the stats. As I recall my first thought was that it was a little broken, but in the circumstances of a small party, allowable.

First fight meaning Plutivarch the wizardy sorc dude right? Yeah, that was touch and go for a moment.

#17 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 30 November 2012 - 11:31 PM

That's right, Plutivarch. While pathfinder tried to go away from save or die spells, some still come out that way.

#18 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:24 AM

I would assume that he used one of the racial archtypes from Blood of Angels to be a more specific type of Aasimar. At a guess, a Garuda-Blooded of an Archon-Blooded Aasimar.

Yes - I used an alternative heritage. Archon-Blooded Aasimar (or Lawbringer). It changes the stat bonuses to CON and WIS and gives Continual Flame as a spell-like ability. Also replaces the skill bonuses granted with Intimidate and Sense Motive.

It seemed more appropriate for a Monk. I am concentrating on giving the Monk as much damage potential as possible.

To this end (and after talking to Lockhart), I also took the Alternative Racial Trait Immortal Spark. This gave me a +2 bonus on Knowledge (History) and access to Lesser Age Resistance as a spell-like ability. This meant giving up the other two skill bonuses and Continual Flame.

I then made the character Middle Aged to gain the bonuses to mental stats and perform the Lesser Age Resistance every morning to offset the physical stat penalties.

I am focusing on high STR and high WIS. I wanted to make a character that could act as the front line fighter in our strange party without making an actual Fighter like Marcus :)

Currently at level 1 my Feats are:
Improved Unarmed Strike
Improved Grapple
Toughness
Stunning Fist

My Ability Scores are currently:
STR - 19
CON - 14
CON - 14
INT - 9
WIS - 18
CHA - 8

AC is 16 (which is something I need to work on but that is without any armor bonus) I think I need some Bracers of Armor or perhaps Monk's Robes if I can get the cash for them.

I am also using the Martial Artist archetype for Monk but its benefits will not kick in until Level 3. It makes the Monk less magical and mystical and much more combat capable.

I am looking at leveling to 2. At this level I will get Evasion and a Bonus Feat. I am debating the Feat. I am thinking either Deflect Arrows or Dodge and am currently leaning towards Deflect Arrows partly due to the cool Monk-ness of it but also because we don't have a lot of ranged potential in the party and it will allow me to close with ranged combatants without taking as much damage.

Hope that helps :) I wouldn't normally Min / Max my character quite so hard but with such a small group it seemed necessary.

What Feat should I take?

#19 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think you are going the right direction with Deflect Arrows. I really enjoy both sessions looking forward to more.

#20 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 01 December 2012 - 10:56 AM

I think so to :)

Going to be interesting to see if we can keep our characters alive. The combat tactics are starting to tighten up and I think between myself and Lindsay we should have enough damage output with Sneak Attack and Flurry to take down pretty much anything if we are smart about it.

The lack of a primary arcane caster is pretty hard to deal with but I have been wondering if Thing's Ancient Lorekeeper would meet the entry requirements for Mystic Theurge once he gets to Level 6. He would technically then be able to cast both arcane and divine spells at level 2 due to the Elven Arcana ability he gets from Ancient Lorekeeper.

If he then chose to take a level in an Arcane class at 7 and then entered Mystic Theurge at 8 he could develop casting potential in both arcane and divine paths... :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge