• Create Account

Hero System 6E condensed into one core rule book

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 27 October 2012 - 02:10 PM

Interesting change of tack from the world of Hero Games. The rather huge vol 1 and 2 6E core books have been condensed into a 240 page version which focuses just on what you need to know. It gets rid of those pages of examples and quotes and so forth and is quite stripped down on pictures. The result is a rule book that really takes me back to the first few editions, which I think is a good thing.

It's called Champions Complete, so they have wisely focused on their strongest brand and seem to have produced a very nice focussed and readable product. It's a bit like the 6E basic book but with all the vol 1 and stuff in rather than a subset.

A snip at $20 on pdf no less.

I should add that I have no connections with Hero Games but thought this shift so noteworthy, I thought I'd post something here. And of course I am subliminally trying to convert you all to Champions / Hero System... 8)

A non Hero Games forum thread you may want to peruse on this is here.

#2 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 29 October 2012 - 10:40 AM

I should add that I have no connections with Hero Games...

... other than being grafted to them unto my very nerve endings... ;)

#3 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:31 PM

I should add that I have no connections with Hero Games...

... other than being grafted to them unto my very nerve endings... ;)

Takes one to know one! 8)

#4 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 06 November 2012 - 05:34 PM

Can I ask a quick HERO system question to you knowledgeable people? I've never played it but it sounds interesting. Can you tell me how it relates to GURPS, which I have played and seems to my inexperienced eye to be similar.

#5 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 November 2012 - 03:23 PM

Similar points based stuff with GURPS sometimes reckoned to be better at normal level games and Hero better at supers level games.

If you're played GURPS, you could listen to the Hero stuff under the Thistledowners or Whartson Hallers elsewhere on this site and see what you think.*

*Think Hero is best, think Hero is best, think Hero is best....

#6 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 16 November 2012 - 08:14 AM

8O ...GURPS is not the system I'm looking for... 8O

... I mean, I think listening to Hero system would be good (I've not played a lot of games in the Supers genre). I will have to hunt the Thistledown and Wartson games out. They look like they could be Patron material so I may have to invest further in this...

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 November 2012 - 10:08 AM

8O ...GURPS is not the system I'm looking for... 8O

... I mean, I think listening to Hero system would be good (I've not played a lot of games in the Supers genre). I will have to hunt the Thistledown and Wartson games out. They look like they could be Patron material so I may have to invest further in this...

The Thistledunians have released a session (or six) :) of one of the games they ran under the HERO system, but the really good stuff is still tucked away in the Patrons' section - alien invasions, a teleporting viking, a Japanese power-armor-clad camera man, a space slave girl/assassin/rebel warrior... Oodles of fun! :)

Whartson Hall releases a pile of good audio once a year, after their private Whartstock gaming convention. One of the main attractions of the 2011 event was a huge two-group dual-GM HERO system affair.
Quite possible one of the best games they've ever released on audio - although, as everybody knows, the greatest games ever are the ones that never get recorded. ;)

Speak of the devil; wonder whether any of the Whartstock 2012 games were recorded - and, if so, what are the odds that the humble site-scavengers might get a chance to listen to any of them? :)

#8 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 November 2012 - 11:15 AM

Speak of the devil; wonder whether any of the Whartstock 2012 games were recorded - and, if so, what are the odds that the humble site-scavengers might get a chance to listen to any of them? :)

This year's Whartstock turned out to be less of a gaming get-together than a sort of mutual support group. I don't think there's any audio - there wasn't a lot of gaming in the usual way, although Riddles put in a fine showing for his time-travelling Savage Worlds game set on the Titanic - except for a few brief snippets of ukulele playing... there was a lot of that.

With Whartson Hall no longer a face-to-face gaming group (the Aethernauts still gather on Google+ when we can) I suspect that Whartstock will move away from a source of gaming audio. It's becoming more about catching up with friends, chatting, strumming... if the games happen then that's great, but I think we're shifting away from scheduling things as we have.

#9 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 22 November 2012 - 05:46 AM

Thanks P-M, the friendly neighbourhood info source as always. I remember listening to the Whartstock HERO sessions now - very entertaining! On a selfish note I'm sorry to hear that there wasn't any audio from this year's gathering but these things are dynamic and this is no bad thing :)

On another I will have to chase down the Thistledown crew's recordings which I seem to have overlooked :(

#10 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 January 2013 - 03:18 PM

Some fascinating and insightful discussions on the Hero forums at the moment about the pros and cons of going for a Fantasy Hero Complete in light of the relative success of Champions Complete*.

A lot of balanced and well considered thoughts trying to work out the best way forward under the current operating model.

You can read more about this here!

*which is bloomin' great by the way so please buy it immediately. Ta!

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 January 2013 - 01:35 PM

Strange to see this all cycle around, back to the way they presented the games in the eighties as fairly complete individual units. There was some crossover, of course, but it tended to be more annoying than anything: I particularly remember that Justice, Inc. told anyone looking for info on gadgets and the supernatural to buy a copy of Champions... hopefully they'll avoid that sort of short-changing in future games :-)

#12 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 07 January 2013 - 09:24 AM

Hmmm...All this HERO talk has reminded me that I've forgotten to put our Champions games on the main site. I'd best rectify that. :D

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 10 January 2013 - 10:49 AM

Hmmm...All this HERO talk has reminded me that I've forgotten to put our Champions games on the main site. I'd best rectify that. :D

Have you gotten to session 4 yet, sir? :)

#14 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 11 January 2013 - 09:03 AM

Have you gotten to session 4 yet, sir? :)

It might be a while...the other GMs in the group are running games currently. :D

#15 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 12 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

Goddamnit, man! Get them to TPK and move onto Hero! :wink:

#16 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 03:58 PM

The last six Hero kickstarters have funded successfully! This is a GOOD THING!

It's a slightly scary brave new world out there in Hero Land post Steve Long, but things appear to be going relatively well so far.

I'm really looking forward to Dungeon Hero Complete (or whatever they call it). If it's anything like Champions Complete, it'll be a great book!

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 13 January 2013 - 04:35 PM

Apols for posting on this again but I thought. I'd share this VERY interesting comment on sales figures by one of the main people at Hero Games, Jason Walters:

Champions Complete has sold over a thousand individual copies thus far in physical and electronic form, with roughly 700 copies going out through distribution. The investors and I consider it tentatively to be a success. If it sells another thousand copies, then it's definately a success.

#18 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 January 2013 - 05:13 PM

Good news, although rather sobering to compare those figures to the numbers for even middling games a few years ago. The market has really slumped.

#19 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 January 2013 - 01:46 PM

Sobering figures indeed, however I can reassure anyone reading this that Champions Complete is brilliant! It's just what you need to bring the awesome to your gaming table! (apart from the cover, but you know, worse things happen at sea!)

Rest assured, I shall be providing over-excited updates once Dungeon Hero Complete nears publication! 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge