44 replies to this topic

#41 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:55 PM

Actually, disarming him of his staff would be particularly effective. As his bonded item, he requires it in his hands to cast a spell. Without it, each spell requires a fairly high concentration check.

I like the way you think! We just need one of you strong lads to be good at disarming ;)

#42 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 07:57 PM

Actually, disarming him of his staff would be particularly effective. As his bonded item, he requires it in his hands to cast a spell. Without it, each spell requires a fairly high concentration check.

See, that shows my ignorance in how casters work in pathfinder. My interest is usually in melee characters because I find them a bit easier to auto-pilot through combat to get back to the fun bits in between.

Regarding the readied attack option, yeah, that's what I meant with the chess game: at higher levels along free-hand fighter and the disarm feat tree you can toss their weapon a few squares away, they have to move to get it, and trade their attack for a move to pick up the weapon. Problem is, then their out of swing range, so you close, rinse, repeat... It seems to me that if you can chain a foe into the cycle they're spending their actions not hitting you with their full attack routine and your friends can put them down. But there are other concerns: as the French Giant, having specialized in fighting groups of people for so long, said: fighting groups of people is completely different from fighting individuals.

Enough about my character ideas though, I can't wait to hear the outcome of confronting the next roadblock in the adventure. Unfortunately I've still not finished episode 8, so I've my leisure cut out for me...

#43 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 16 August 2012 - 12:00 PM

Did I miss the part where you found out his staff was his bonded item? When I play a wizard I usually go for a ring.

#44 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:24 PM

Did I miss the part where you found out his staff was his bonded item? When I play a wizard I usually go for a ring.

*** Possible Spoilers if you haven't listened to all of 8

Clemens indicated it when Sigmund asked about his lack of an Imp familiar as is the custom in Korvosa. He indicated his staff and said he chose a different path.

Of course that assumes we are correct that clemens is really Arkalak, and he wasn't adding another layer of misdirection in his playing of Clemens and he truly has a familiar we haven't seen or is bonded to a different item.

#45 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 20 September 2012 - 04:31 PM

Liking this campaign setup A LOT! Well done that Hal! 8)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge