44 replies to this topic

#21 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 13 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

nauseate and stunned are both pretty bad for spellcasters. For anyone at all really. You have an alchemist with sneak attack, Poisons, especially ones that cause sleep or unconsciousness seem like a nice play if you can find some affordable ones to buy from the fence Uptime. There is always the standby of sleep and coup-de-grace.

#22 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 12:23 PM

Any magic user worth their salt will use protection from xxx, to prevent magical compulsion, including sleep...not to say don't try it, but be wary that you may need a backup plan. Same goes of delay or neutralize poison.

both of those can be in potion form I think so you may consider using them yourself. Wizards are somewhat known to cast charm spells, and protection from evil can nullify that real quick. (True neutral wizard for the win?)

Silence spell cast on a monk who goes in and grapples the wizard?

#23 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:16 PM

Protection from evil doesn't protect versus sleep spells, see the clarification on d20pfsrd.

Also, I can hardly wait for the next episode. It's funny though, since I started also listening to some actual play podcasts from fandible, and happened to be listening to their time-traveling dresden files game at the same time as these. Apparently, time travel magic is blue. Like healing potions, except in Diablo.

#24 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:47 PM

Good points!

Protection from xxx can be handy when you know/have a good idea of your foes alignment.

Of course I worry about having very small hit points and knowing he has access to Fireball. So its not clustering so we can't be in the same area of effect, hope I am not targeted, and he rolls really low.

#25 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:51 PM

Also, I Apparently, time travel magic is blue.

I call this the TARDIS association.

#26 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 01:53 PM

Then I just assert that I have interesting companions.

#27 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:24 PM

Well, you are the only one who's, ahem, "regenerated".

#28 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 02:28 PM

Well, you are the only one who's, ahem, "regenerated".

I always think of Tom Baker when I think of the Doctor, and he had quite the hair.

#29 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:22 PM

Protection from evil doesn't protect versus sleep spells, see the clarification on d20pfsrd.

Foiled by the FAQ! The source has an interesting footnote though:

The latter interpretation is correct: protection from evil only works on charm and compulsion effects where the caster is able to exercise control over the target, such as command, charm person, and dominate person; it doesn't work on sleep or confusion. (Sleep is a border case for this issue, but the designers feel that "this spell overrides your brain's sleep centers" is different enough than "this spell overrides your resistance to commands from others.")

Anyways, still a good spell.

#30 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 03:28 PM

And of course, as always with spell casters, fill them with pointy things until they stop trying to cast spells.

although I hear blunt things work as well

#31 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 14 August 2012 - 04:07 PM

We do have an alchemist. Thunderstones and tanglefoot bags are excellent ways to nullify a wizard.

#32 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 09:36 AM

And of course, as always with spell casters, fill them with pointy things until they stop trying to cast spells.

I'd been thinking about stopping the casting of spells. I've had this concept in mind for a controlling fighter: a human free-hand fighter using a flail, focused on disarming his opponent in the first round (combat exp. and imp. disarm for starting feats) with focused fire from the party while the foe retrieves the weapon. However, this plan goes out the window against enemies with natural attacks and most casters (sure you could knock their staff away, but that probably isn't their only buff source).

Is there any analogue to disarm that melee characters can use against casters? Other casters could use silence (right?), but is there anything melee characters can do other than chasing the foe around like two knights on a chess board?

#33 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:10 AM

Grapple should mess them up pretty bad in most cases. And while pathfinder grapple is not as brutal as 3.5 grapple, a concentration check of (DC 10 + grappler's CMB + spell level) is not trivial.

Ready an action to attack if they start to cast a spell, to force a concentration check? Particularly good with a ranged weapon which wouldn't allow an attack of opportunity. (Maybe that ranged attack is a thunderstone?)

#34 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:11 AM

Other then being above the caster in initiative and holding actions to force a concentration check, there isn't a lot to do. A weapon with recurring damage would be nice, and feats like disruptive or disruptive shot. Hmmm, disruptive with a weapon that deposits an acid on the caster. Or douse them in oil and use a flaming weapon.

Perhaps I need a mace or that holy water sprinkler type weapon, but filled with green slime.

#35 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:20 AM

Other then being above the caster in initiative and holding actions to force a concentration check, there isn't a lot to do. A weapon with recurring damage would be nice, and feats like disruptive or disruptive shot. Hmmm, disruptive with a weapon that deposits an acid on the caster. Or douse them in oil and use a flaming weapon.

Perhaps I need a mace or that holy water sprinkler type weapon, but filled with green slime.

Oh nifty. Can it be like the green slime that they sold in plastic eggs from the 1980s

#36 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 10:40 AM

Hear, hear!

I'd been thinking about stopping the casting of spells. I've had this concept in mind for a controlling fighter: a human free-hand fighter using a flail, focused on disarming his opponent in the first round (combat exp. and imp. disarm for starting feats) with focused fire from the party while the foe retrieves the weapon. However, this plan goes out the window against enemies with natural attacks and most casters (sure you could knock their staff away, but that probably isn't their only buff source).

Is there any analogue to disarm that melee characters can use against casters? Other casters could use silence (right?), but is there anything melee characters can do other than chasing the foe around like two knights on a chess board?

I've never seen anyone use the Steal combat maneuver against casters for their component pouch, bonded item, or holy symbol, but I suspect it would be fairly effective, especially given the typically low CMD of casters. A good stealth and pre-combat pickpocket attempt might also work.

#37 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:13 AM

can you sunder a spell component pouch? Never thought of that.

#38 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 11:57 AM

can you sunder a spell component pouch? Never thought of that.

Sunder

You can attempt to sunder an item held or worn by your opponent as part of an attack action in place of a melee attack.

Looks like! And it's probably around hardness 2, ~5hp.

#39 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 12:03 PM

*Scribbles Notes*

Although playing a caster, I am a bit worried.

#40 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 August 2012 - 02:49 PM

Actually, disarming him of his staff would be particularly effective. As his bonded item, he requires it in his hands to cast a spell. Without it, each spell requires a fairly high concentration check.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge