3 replies to this topic

#1 Kaloth

Kaloth

This is a subtitle

• Patrons
  • 18 posts
  • Location73

Posted 03 July 2012 - 09:06 AM

This morning while I was rushing to complete a homework assignment, which wasn't done because I spent the five hours I had set aside for it digging through the HERO system rulebooks, I realized that if I put the amount of time and effort into studying and schoolwork that I do sifting through countless RPG books and source materials I'd be doing significantly better GPA wise. I figure that there has to be plenty of people like me. Since that point I have been trying to think of possible ways to combine the two.

I was curious if anyone has seen something like that, and how effective they are. I do realize that I'm above the point where any of that would be targeted at me (you know, being in college and all). However, formerly being in the education department I think it is something that should exist if it doesn't.

#2 bodhranist

bodhranist

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:14 AM

There are things being done with it. A friend of mine, Angie, is getting her masters in education, with a focus on the integration of gaming and education. One project she worked on was an educational game that in a very short time was able to convey a decent grasp of college-level microbial biology (I think, I haven't seen her in a while, and might be misremembering) to average groups of middle-schoolers.

She is also one of a group (Escapade Games) that is currently developing a boardgame/RPG targeted at younger children (Story Realms).

#3 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 04 July 2012 - 11:58 PM

That is fascinating bodhranist!

I suppose that there are skills that people pick up or improve on simply by playing - problem solving, risk assessment, comprehension, critical thinking, game (and gaming) theory, probability, team working (possibly...) and others too no doubt.

One thing I've noticed that I do if I am GMing a vaguely historic setting game (eg CoC or Backswords and Bucklers) is research around the setting considerably more than I normally would be motivated to do, even if it is not likely to be directly used in the game. As a lure to motivate me to learn gaming seems to work :)

#4 ross

ross

Ghoul

• Members
  • 840 posts

Posted 11 July 2012 - 12:33 AM

Interesting stuf:-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge