2 replies to this topic

#1 wcuservo

wcuservo

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2012 - 02:44 PM

Hello all,

I'm running a Rolemaster game and we're in the process of character creation and I'm kinda getting bogged down. I know creation is a very drawn out process, and I'm wondering if there is a good way to stream line it to make it a bit easier.

I have five players. Two of which have given me most of the information needed (stat rolls, skill points allocated, etc). The other three have done their initial stat rolls, but have given me the "honor" of filling everything in for them.

I would appreciate any help here. We're using Rolemaster Classic with some of the 2nd edition companions thrown in for extra classes (Bashkar, Assassin, and Warrior Mage).

Thanks!

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 24 June 2012 - 11:16 AM

Streamlining Rolemaster can be difficult depending on the options you choose to you.

I generally follow the follow rules at character creation when I use 2nd edition red box...

Any stat that rolls 41 or less get a reroll (save making more characters later) :)

All characters get a flat 50 dev points per level regardless of stats (this prevents a character from being a totally useless skilless burden to the party because of bad rolls)

Pure casters can put points into any number of lists per level (so long as they are being reasonable) - casters level so slowly in RM that it only seems fair to give them as much variability as possible)

No stupid weapons like the Battle Hammer :)

No rubbish character classes (like the Maleficant or the Macabre)

Everyone gets their Background Options rolled from the various Companions (this helps with poor stats and gives some interesting combinations of abilities)

Other than that is it really just a matter of slogging through it. Some of the standardisation above help with some of the book referencing that needs to be done but RM is pretty book intensive as a system goes, even when you know it well :)

Let me know if you need anything else and I will try and explain how I go about things :)

I would say one thing... with Rolemaster characters, probably more than any other game, there are so many options and choices to make that the players really need to make their own skill selections and attribute their own stats otherwise they can feel lost in their own character. The characters are amazingly detailed when done but I have found that pre-gens or part pre-gens can be a bit problematic, especially for spellcasters.

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#3 wcuservo

wcuservo

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

Appreciate it!

Thankfully, my guys and gals are pretty good at giving me a very good description of their characters, so it's easy to create for them.

The tips are most welcome and will be implemented.

Also, just wanted to say it's nice to see you guys experimenting with online RPing. My group really can't get together on a regular basis, and we've successfully used RPTools (MapTools specifically) & Skype for our games and it's worked beautifully. We recently completed a few Call of Cthulhu one-offs and the Dreaming Stone campaign completely through MapTools and I highly recommend it.

Thanks again!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge