Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 June 2012 - 03:29 PM

OK folks,

The nice people who made the awesome plugin we are using for these games are running a Kickstarter to make it even more awesome.

Tabletop Forge Kickstarter

Come on over and pledge something and get involved :)

Hal :hal:

#2 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 14 June 2012 - 10:25 PM

A lovely app, very useful. I have paid a lot of money for ones that haven't worked half as well.

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 22 June 2012 - 02:41 AM

I've been looking for something like this!

One of my players has issues - technical and/or personal - with most of our other voice programs. Even the ones he can play on require some other program for mapping or sharing files and documents. This looks perfect.

So glad I noticed a new tab on this forum and clicked it. I've been enjoying the game as well, so a double thank you is in order.

#4 Pikkle

Pikkle

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationNottingham UK

Posted 22 June 2012 - 05:58 PM

First time poster and I blame you gamers for this. Now I've put a few pennies up front I need to get my DM onto google hangouts. So far this looks like everything I could need without getting scarily precise.

Edit: spell check. Darn cider. (Yes there may/will be more errors.)

#5 Kolobos

Kolobos

RPGMP3 Patron

• Members
  • 81 posts
  • LocationIowa

Posted 31 January 2013 - 07:30 PM

Long time lurker, but I felt I should share this: Tabletop Forge is being rolled into Roll20. Nothing like starting to get used to something, and have to potentially adapt to another program.

Excellent work, on all the podcasts! (Just in case I disappear into the shadows for far longer)

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 31 January 2013 - 10:35 PM

Long time lurker, but I felt I should share this: Tabletop Forge is being rolled into Roll20. Nothing like starting to get used to something, and have to potentially adapt to another program.

Excellent work, on all the podcasts! (Just in case I disappear into the shadows for far longer)

Aye, we've been discussing this through emails a bit. I'm probably gonna run the rest of the first Shattered Star book through Tabletop forge because I already have it prepared for that purpose, and try to get the second book prepared on Roll20. But... As nice as it is to be able to prepare a session beforehand and such, I'm really having a bit of trouble preparing my maps in a manner that works with Roll20. Roll20 aligns all pictures, maps included, with its grid, so unless I have everything perfect the grid of the map doesn't line up with the grid of the program.

Roll20 is a good application but... it's a bit too rigid in some ways that I'm not used to right now and it's a bit frustrating.

#7 Kris

Kris

Toad

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 01 February 2013 - 08:13 AM

I've had a little play around with roll20 myself and I also found the grid to somewhat awkward.

It looks like it basically uses a default grid size of 70 pixels ...or fractions thereof.

...so if you wanted to use a map with an inbuilt grid size of 35 pixels for example, you'd need to alter the 'grid units' box to 0.5 (i.e. 35 divided by 70 = 0.5 ...effectively halving the grid size of Roll20).

So if you're using maps with an inbuilt grid size of 20 pixels ....you'd need to enter 0.2857 into the 'grid units' box (i.e. 20 / 70 = 0.2857).

It's a very strange way of sizing the grid, and requires that you know the size of your maps beforehand - but I guess it kinda works (though possibly in the most user-unfriendly way imaginable ;) ).

#8 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 03 February 2013 - 09:07 AM

I might be stating the obvious, but was it noticed that Hal & Lindsay's RPGMP3 game play has a quick video clip right at 0:59 for 1/2 a second? Y'all are famous now. :)

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:57 AM

I might be stating the obvious, but was it noticed that Hal & Lindsay's RPGMP3 game play has a quick video clip right at 0:59 for 1/2 a second? Y'all are famous now. :)

15 milliseconds of fame. Must be that darn inflation. ;)

#10 david

david

Toad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 05:07 PM

Just turn the roll20 grid off if your map is gridded. Then when you upload the map, it won't be distorted.

#11 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 07 February 2013 - 06:23 PM

I have been looking at roll20 for then forge closes as well. I get some of the same distortion problems when using a map from the book, but then I never got them to line up well with the forge grid either. The auto size option on roll 20 is nice, but for some reason the image must get distorted somehwere along the line since matching up one small grid of squares doesnt match them all up. I'll have to try importing a map with the grid turned off on a page and see what happens. Overall I think roll20 looks nice and has several of the features my groups would have liked in forge. On the flip side those features makes it more complex and gives a longer learning curve to use.

#12 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 13 March 2013 - 07:13 AM

We're using roll20 with the Virtual Wharties (or whatever we call the Hangout).

It's good, though we seem to crash a little more often than we did with just Hangout (most of mine are trying to copy images into the battlemap and ejecting myself from the hangout).

With regards to sorting out the scale, what I do is use the align tool to get it close, then move the map using to stop it snapping to the grid. Then I resize based on how close the grids are.

It normally takes a few minutes or so, but I got a 50 x 70 map close to spot on. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge