28 replies to this topic

#21 kafkonia

kafkonia

Goblin

• Members
  • 194 posts
  • LocationOttawa, Ontario, Canada

Posted 12 April 2007 - 07:00 PM

I just picked up the 3.5 adaptation of the Gothic Earth/Masque of the Red Death setting for Ravenloft, and so far I'm loving what I've read of it -- I may try to persuade some of my fellow gamers to play through (and record?) it.

I have the Ravenloft 3.5 player's book coming c/o Ebay, mostly because you need a couple of the rules for MotRD. I just wish the covers were easier to tell apart! :)

#22 Fox

Fox

Stirge

• Members
  • 371 posts
  • LocationRedmond, Wa, USA

Posted 12 April 2007 - 09:33 PM

I just picked up the 3.5 adaptation of the Gothic Earth/Masque of the Red Death setting for Ravenloft, and so far I'm loving what I've read of it -- I may try to persuade some of my fellow gamers to play through (and record?) it.

I have the Ravenloft 3.5 player's book coming c/o Ebay, mostly because you need a couple of the rules for MotRD. I just wish the covers were easier to tell apart! :)

I've been thinking about that or running an Eberron game and recording it if possible. If you have any luck let us know! I know I'd be curious and eager to listen to a Ravenloft game as it's been something I've been curious about for ages.

#23 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:32 PM

The Ravenloft "Places to Die in . . . er . . . visit and people to meet" list:

Lamordia: It's cold, it's bleak, it's a bad place for the party magic users. Ever wanted to step into a slightly altered bersion of Frankenstein? Here's your chance. Don't forget those pitchforks and torches! (Darklord: Adam [Dread Flesh Golem], creation of Dr. Victor Mordenheim [human])

Markovia: Can it be? A beautiful tropical island in the middle of the Demiplane of Dread? Too good to be true, of course, given that this is effectively the island of Dr. Moreau, but it's still a nice vacation spot, right? (Darklord: Frantisek Markov [Human shapeshifter])

Kartakass: Loggers, backwoods charm, singing, and all that other wooded frontier stuff to your liking? Don't mind worrying about being torn to shreads in the middle of the night by wild beasts? Try Kartakass! Bards welcomed, invited, and well paid! (Darklord: Harkon Lukas [Wolfwere])

Scaena: Ever wanted to be in a play by a master writer? This theatre domain gives you the chance! Of course, it's all the chance of a nameless underling in a Quenton Tarentino film or a nympho cheerleader in a slasher flick, but it's a chance, right? (Darklord: Lemot Sediam Juste [Human])

Vechor: Hey DMs! Ever wanted to play with reality while your players stood by helplessly? Ever wanted a villian that no matter how cheesed out and broken a character was, they could never kill said villian? Think the sun should be pink with purple polka dots? Think "Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds" is a great template for an adventure setting? Easen the Mad and Vechor offer you these opportunities and more! (Darklord: Easen the Mad [Wild Elf, soul merged with unspecified demon])

Souragne: Dust off that Deep South accent and break out that little book of voodoo (literally), as Sourange brings Old South Louisiana to your PCs. Please keep the Night of the Living Dead and Waterboy jokes to a minimum! (Darklord: Anton Misroi [Zombie Lord])

Dominia: Nothing like making Ravenloft players make madness checks, eh? An insane party is fun, and this island/asylum is the perfect place to create one! (Darklord: Dr. Daclaud Heinfroth [Cerebral Vampire/Psychiatrist])

#24 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:34 PM

You forgot Falkovnia: the place where numhumans are considered "state property" and treated worse than slaves.

You also forgot the dreamlans subdomain off the eastern shores of that horsey place. I can't remember what it was called but it was a great little boxed set.

Oh, and that place where the entire domain is a house (with garden, chapel etc) and the darklord is an animated evil sword.........

#25 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:42 PM

1) Falkovnia and Invidia are places I wouldn't even jokingly send people to!

2) You're thinking of Shadowborn Manor. Most powerful entity in Ravenloft's in that sword . . .

3) I also left out Barovia (`cause, odds are, you'll probably visit anyway) and Darkon (ditto) (See: Strahd and Azalin Rex respectively).

4) On "Nasty realms for the living", I could always have added Blutespur (Who loves mind flayers? C'mon, I know someone wants to play with the brain-suckers!) and Necropolis (Where death is a way of life!)

#26 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:47 PM

Barovia? I'm thinking of the dream island related to the asylum where psychologists study the nightmares of inmates (but as Balgin would say "the logic of psycho's? There ain't no such thing. Load of tosh if you ask me. Anyway, all they do is go on and on all day about nonsense, my mate Sigurd Thordssen was a psyho logic ist and he said that all women have beard envy. Well that's true, known fact is that, but he also said that psycho's, nutters and headcases are all logical and make sense but everyone knows they're just barmy. Maybe he's a bit mental too....")

:)

Invidia? Invidia's just funny, loads of invidious angry nasty people who can't work together enough to pose a serious threat because they're always turning on each other.

#27 Murine_Archmage

Murine_Archmage

Stirge

• Members
  • 293 posts
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 13 April 2007 - 03:53 PM

Dominia: Nothing like making Ravenloft players make madness checks, eh? An insane party is fun, and this island/asylum is the perfect place to create one! (Darklord: Dr. Daclaud Heinfroth [Cerebral Vampire/Psychiatrist])

This one? Was it at some point linked to that one nightmare realm place? (not to be confused with Far Realm, which, for some odd reason, doesn't seem to see use in your typical campaign. Ah, to play a typically insane alienist. . . *ponders inquiring about the subject to current DMs*)

#28 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:32 PM

Right, that does it, I'm heading out to my room to dig out the boxed set and check the domain name (I always thought Forlorn was good too (if a Blatant Rip Off of The Scottish Play with Morhault from Tristan & Isolde) but never got round to using it, although the Ravenloft "Scottish Goblyns" often get mentioned).

Okay, here goes then....

#29 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts

Posted 13 April 2007 - 04:53 PM

On the eastern edge of Nova Vaasa lies the Clinc for the Mentally Distressed. There the Doctor Gregorian Illhousen has become aware of various recurring themes in the dreams of some of his greatly disturbed but incredibly sane patients. He is, in fact, on the verge of discovering the existance of The Nightmare Lands.

The Nightmare Lands are either situated off the eastern shores of Nova Vaasa and are unknown to most mortals.

There are no less than five darklords of the nightmare lands and what makes them scary is the shocking ammount of collaboration that they exhibit. They reach out beyond the borders of their realms and attempt to take control of the dreams of others, feeding off their emotions.

There was this lovely little system for resisting dream control (and eventualy learning to control your own dreams and fight back), eventualy breaking the darklords hold over your character).

When Sword & Sorcery Studio's wrote the 3rd Ed BS powergamed Ravenloft stuff they did oen good thing (put Azalin back in charge of his domain and undid the "of the living dead" crap) but they also did a bad thing (missing out a few areas like The Nightmare Lands).

Oh yes, the box reference number was 1124 and the ISBN was 0-7869-0174-8 and the copywrite date on the back of the box is 1995 (although I suspect I might have bought it ayear or two after that).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge