28 replies to this topic

#1 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 22 November 2005 - 11:53 PM

I would love to hear the gang take on Ravenloft. Swprd & Sorcery out of White Wolf produces Ravenloft source books and such for 3E

#2 EegahInc

EegahInc

Ghoul

• Site Artist
  • 904 posts
  • LocationCumming, GA - USA

Posted 23 November 2005 - 12:30 AM

No cutting in line. I've been begging for Ravenloft (the original one) for quite awhile now. They chose to go with TOEE for the first "classic" game, which has turned out great for the first three sessions so far. (3, count'em 3. Shameless Patron plug :D ) But I still wouldn't mind hearing them take a go at Ravenloft in the future.

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:06 AM

No cutting in line. I've been begging for Ravenloft (the original one) for quite awhile now. They chose to go with TOEE for the first "classic" game, which has turned out great for the first three sessions so far. (3, count'em 3. Shameless Patron plug :D ) But I still wouldn't mind hearing them take a go at Ravenloft in the future.

D'oh, I must have missed that in the archives. I really liked the 2nd Ed Ravenloft and have just started looking at the 3E versions, although my gaming group never moved from 3.0 to 3.5 so I will have to adjust things if I run it. I think a 3E run could be nice because It would give a good chance to review the material.

And I fully plan on doing the patron thing, I just have to figure a good forum subtitle, or if I reach 6 dice without that i will just subscribe anyways I guess.

#4 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:21 AM

Ravenloft is quite nice. But I've never liked Strahd.

#5 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:28 AM

I didn't think you where supposed tio like Strahd. He's a bad guy Shathis. :lol:

#6 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 23 November 2005 - 06:49 AM

I don't dislike Strahd in the kinda "bad guy, but cool antagonist" sort of way.

I just think he's a suck overpowered character who is not very interesting. :)

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:01 AM

I don't dislike Strahd in the kinda "bad guy, but cool antagonist" sort of way.

I just think he's a suck overpowered character who is not very interesting. :)

True that. Then again I think part of Ravenloft if being unbalanced with the darkness having the home turf advantage.

And how am I supposed to catch up to your total posts when you keep posting? :wink:

#8 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:13 AM

I have to say I do like Ravenloft as a setting but I find it a little difficult to get my head around things like Elven and Kender Vampires. They just seem a little more comedy than horror :D

I always liked Dark Sun for a true DnD survival experience :D However I do have a number of the Ravenloft books for both 2nd and 3rd Edition and might consider a one off or two into the Hexad :P

Hal :hal:

#9 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:18 AM

I always liked Dark Sun for a true DnD survival experience :D However I do have a number of the Ravenloft books for both 2nd and 3rd Edition and might consider a one off or two into the Hexad :P

Hal :hal:

Sweet. Darksun is pretty good. Not quite parnoia for character deaths.

Of course I think my shortest life expectancy for a character was when a DM noticed how D20 really made it easy for mixing systems and bringing CoC into the mix. ALthough I much prefer the pre-D20 CoC game mechanics.

#10 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:47 AM

I -love- Dark Sun, nearly as much as Planescape. I only like Planescape because I have an excuse to dip into many worlds as suits my wicked whims.

But Dark Sun is very shiny and fun. Although I never did quite figure out how the mages were so badass to mess up the SUN rather than just the mess up Athas. :P

It is said that on Athas, "dwarves are bald, with a tendency to become mentally-focused or obsessed on achieving designated goals." Sound familiar?

In a way (but only one way), it's too bad you have so many campaigns going on. A Dark Sun RPGMP3 campaign would be soooo fun to hear.
Still, I'm loving ToEE.

#11 ENoa4

ENoa4

Ghoul

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationChampaign, IL - USA

Posted 23 November 2005 - 08:01 AM

I always prefered my own original modules and stories, but I have to say the original Ravenloft made it in to several campaigns. I thought it was a fantastic module.

#12 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:46 AM

I always prefered my own original modules and stories, but

.... says the man who converted two or more classic D&D modules for Neverwinter nights.
Hehehe... teasing. Yes, I remember Hythum.

#13 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 09:50 AM

I always prefered my own original modules and stories, but

.... says the man who converted two or more classic D&D modules for Neverwinter nights.
Hehehe... teasing. Yes, I remember Hythum.

I started converting Barrier Peaks to NWN, but ran afoul of too many new beasties and new graphics needed. Nonetheless, it did give me an excuse to puzzle out some of that scripting systm.

#14 ENoa4

ENoa4

Ghoul

• Members
  • 746 posts
  • LocationChampaign, IL - USA

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:31 AM

I thought about Barrier Peaks myself, but was wary of the same issue you mentioned. I'm sure it would be a smash if someone did a good conversion.

#15 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:40 AM

I thought about Barrier Peaks myself, but was wary of the same issue you mentioned. I'm sure it would be a smash if someone did a good conversion.

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have the graphics skills, but since it was mainly a learning exercise it was worth while.
I tried doing a module of my own design, but I ran into the same problem as when I have tried DMing in real life. I have balance issues. Either way to easy or I overthink things into death traps.

#16 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 23 November 2005 - 10:43 AM

Was that the crashed spaceship one? That was ace! Wow, I can feel myself reverting to a 13-14 yr old (can't remember how old I was when I played it, it may have been later), and remembering the fun/terror of wondering round that. :)

And now, back to old age and 3.5... :?

#17 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 10 December 2006 - 10:04 AM

I didn't think you where supposed tio like Strahd. He's a bad guy Shathis. :lol:

If you think Strahd's bad then try playing a non human in Falkovnia where non human creatures are considered "property".

#18 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 16 January 2007 - 07:14 AM

Was that the crashed spaceship one? That was ace! Wow, I can feel myself reverting to a 13-14 yr old (can't remember how old I was when I played it, it may have been later), and remembering the fun/terror of wondering round that. :)

And now, back to old age and 3.5... :?

That would be Expedition to the Barrier Peaks. One of TSR's challenging S-series adventures. It was later re-packaged in S1-4 along with Tomb of horrors, White Plume Mountain (one of my personal favourites), and Lost Caverns of Tsojocanth (sp?).

#19 Salubrai

Salubrai

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationTokyo, Japan

Posted 16 January 2007 - 08:03 AM

I never liked Strahd not because he was a bad guy, but because he was a darling of the writers, and became the untouchable character, when frankly- he's just a particularly tough vampire.

#20 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 16 January 2007 - 09:59 AM

I never liked Strahd not because he was a bad guy, but because he was a darling of the writers, and became the untouchable character, when frankly- he's just a particularly tough vampire.

Strahd had a bit more going for him then just another vampire, but realistically he has to be fairly melodramatic and unbalanced or he should just be able to take out the PCs. Then again, moving against most opponents in their own stronghold is a risky business.

I just picked up the Expedition to Castle Ravenloft and it looks pretty good. Mostly as I remember the original, but a few things fleshed out more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge