#1 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 31 January 2012 - 11:37 AM

Well, it's that time of year again, time to get planning for the best four days of gaming.

I have my badge bought and a Hotel reserved, plane tickets will get worked out once i have a bit more money and know if any yorktonites are coming with me.

Anyone else planning on coming this year?

Of course, the hotel costs are rather substantial. I have a good hotel, the JW Marriott, connects right to the convention centre. I got a queen/queen room, and between here and giantitp forums, I'm kinda looking for three others to share the cost with. If i can get a four person split it'd work to about $55 a night. So let me know! my check-in is the 15th, check-out is the 19th.

#2 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 01 February 2012 - 06:46 AM

I got a queen/queen room

Ah, so you already invited Gilbert, then? ;)

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 01 February 2012 - 07:12 AM

Not this year, unfortuantly, I will one day make the pillgrimage

#4 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

I got a queen/queen room

Ah, so you already invited Gilbert, then? ;)

Well, not exactly invited. More like "stuffed in a large suitcase that he desperately tries to convince the staff at Canadian Airways is a carry-on".

G

#5 wolfsnap

wolfsnap

Stirge

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Locationwww.diredestiny.com

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:58 PM

I'll be there again this year as well in the Author's section as usual. I'm going to have a new book: a pathfinder sourcebook - for sale, and MIkolaj has promised me that we'll have book 4 of Dire Destiny ready in time as well.

I've got one more project that I'm working on, but I'm keeping that close to my vest for the moment.

#6 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 09 February 2012 - 10:05 PM

Oooh! Excellent, two more products to buy from Wolfsnap!

#7 thranduul

thranduul

Wizard20 / Archmage6

• Patrons
  • 247 posts
  • LocationLivonia, Michigan USA

Posted 15 April 2012 - 07:31 PM

Lockhart,
If you still have room for 2 more, my friend Mike and I are game to share the room & expense. We've been slow on pulling the trigger making arrangements ourselves and I for one would like to meet you and any other RPGMP3 folks that are going to GenCon this year.
PM me if there is still 2 spots available. :)

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 15 April 2012 - 10:51 PM

Yo Thranduul!

Well, that is a tricky question. In theory all of the spots were snatched up by people from the Giantitp forums. However I haven't heard back from two of them to confirm it. So I will have to check with them and try to get a concrete answer, and if they've backed out, you're more than welcome to have the extra space.

At the very least, I'd be up for a meet-up. :D

#9 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 03 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

No links? Spamfail. :gtfo:

#10 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 May 2012 - 05:22 PM

So, the events listing is up and as a first timer I'm a little overwhelmed by it. I'm going with my brother-in-law and a couple of friends of his, and I'm going to throw out a list of things I generally want to do, if anyone has any general or specific advice, I'd love to hear it.

-How much scheduling is over-scheduling?
-I'd like to hit the Paizo 2012 and Beyond and the D&D Next seminar, maybe other worthwhile seminars?
-We'd like to play at least one game as a group, maybe a multi-part tournament, are there multi-part games that aren't tournaments?
-My brother-in-law and I would like to play a Pathfinder game and a Call of Cthulhu game together, is there any good way to find games with good GMs?
-We want to do True Dungeon as a group

Thanks for any suggestions.

#11 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 16 May 2012 - 09:59 AM

Well, my first year, I scheduled two events, both of them one (or is it two? I can never remember it all goes so fast) hour runs of True Dungeon. I did a drop in boffer LARP event (Advice, unless you are in shape, do not do this, I was dangerously sore the rest of the weekend. Also, they require you to mentally keep track of your hit points while you are in the midst of heated combat and everyone is shouting out the hit point damage they do with a strike. LARPers are SRS business), and got invited to the NASCRAG event with some new friends, its a three round roleplaying event, each round about a four hour session. I got to make it to play in the second round, and it was great fun. And thats pretty much all I did for official events. Honestly, i found myself walking around the exhibitor hall quite a bit, its huge and filled with new games and demos and game designers and artists and stuff to buy, you can lose track of time in there.

I recomend, when scheduling, to give yourself a fair bit of free time within the Exhibition hall hours, so that you don't feel rushed exploring it. Talk with booth people, take pictures of cosplayers, tip the minstrels, all that sort've stuff. For scheduling, pace yourself, give yourself time to rest, recover and eat after each event not to mention travel to the next event location. I'd probably try and keep scheduled events under six hours average per day, and even that might be quite a lot, it all depends how you chose to experience Gen Con, but I think for a first time, dont specialize too much.

I've personally not been to any seminars yet, so I can't say much about this.

Assuming you're talking about a multi-part RPG event, I will mention a bit more about NASCRAG. It is a three part tournament using 3.5 rules. You're provided pregenerated characters, and its mostly about roleplaying. What will advance you is mostly your roleplaying ability, staying in character, minimal OOC talk, silly accents, and how much you can entertain the GM. Very little combat, lots of puzzles, a touch of LARP here and there, and the plots and silly, whimsical humour, yet still compelling. The GMs are great, if you have a group for it, totally sign up, I'd say its worth it.

I can only imagine that there are probably a wealth of events for pathfinder and CoC, i need to look at the list to give better direction, but I'm sure events offered by the PFS will be well GMed and showcasing well written adventures. I dont know how it works if you dont have a society character, but i imagine there is some pretense for drop-ins to use.

Do True Dungeon as a group! But pick a spot in advance and buy the tickets as soon as you can to all get in the same time slot. Youll likely have some other people in your slot too, but its just a chance to make Gen Con friends. Definitely consider trading or borrowing equipment tokens so that everyone can be as effective as possible. If you're lucky, one of the people you get in your group will be a collector who will loan better equipment. Also, get all your rare tokens appraised at the token seller booths, no word of a lie, our first year my friend pulled a token that we sold for over a hundred dollars, we made a profit out of true dungeon.

And I'm all adviced out for now. I need to look over events. Let ke know what you sign up for and if it looks interesting i might sign up too. Heck, if you're serious about NASCRAG as a group and need another member, I'd be happy to show you the ropes, ive been a third round alternate everytime i played, and last year i played with a NASCRAG first place winner. I've only done it with piecemeal teams though, it'd be great to do it with a solid group that was there to go all the way to round three.

#12 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 18 May 2012 - 01:29 AM

Despite fully intending to take your advice, I think I've been peer-pressured into being rather over-scheduled. Most critically I'm supposed to play 4e for four hours Thurs, Fri and Sat. Other than that I'm going to play Paranoia friday morning, True Dungeon saturday morning, and Godlike friday afternoon.

I'm also going to try and see a D&D Next seminar or a watch D&D Next playtest with R.A. Salvatore and Ed Greenwood, and go to the Paizo seminar announcing upcoming products.

#13 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 03 July 2012 - 08:24 AM

Just a final pimp-out. I have had one roomie cancel, so if anyone is looking for hotel accomodations, let me know. It will be sharing a bed with someone, but the more people, the cheaper the split.

#14 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 10:54 PM

Maybe you can convince Hal to go ;) I know he wants to.. whats the total cost of a trip like that likely to be?

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:01 PM

Major cost would be plane ticket. Hotel split will be $240 for wed-sat nights, check out Sunday. Gen con ticket would be $80, plus whatever ticket cost for events.

...and whatever merchandise you pick up...

#16 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 03 July 2012 - 11:36 PM

Well, I think he should go, have told him the last few years.. maybe you guys will have better luck...

#17 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 04 July 2012 - 02:01 AM

Some of the Bradford folks made it over and that was from another continent! So Hal - you have no excuse. ;-)

#18 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:25 AM

Maybe you can convince Hal to go ;) I know he wants to.. whats the total cost of a trip like that likely to be?

My information is twenty years out of date and based around it being in Milwaukee, so I can't be specific... :D

However:

Hal! Get your arse to GenCon!

Does that help?

#19 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 04 July 2012 - 10:33 AM

I'm considering for next year, if I plan ahead I might be able to get in on the schedule.

#20 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 04 July 2012 - 09:21 PM

Getting time off work, when you only get 12 days holiday a year doesn't help, especially as August is the start of the academic year, and Hal works at a University..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge