• Please log in to reply
114 replies to this topic

#101 SavageHenry

SavageHenry

Toad

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 24 January 2012 - 05:27 PM

you are correct. The Warhammer 1 and 2E grognards raged against warhammer 3E for many of the same reasons 4E was not embraced. While i do think wanting more of the same feel of previous editions is valid i also think tabletop roleplaying publishers have to push the envelope and try to grow the hobby by appealing to card gamers, video gamers, and board gamers.

i think i have to be willing to give new mechanics, settings, and formats a fair try if i expect the hobby to keep its head above water in day and age where people can immerse themselves in a fantasy world from their computer or console or phone even as opposed to rounding up 4 friends, dealing with conflicting schedules and real life responsibilities just for a couple hours of gaming.

as for 5 i have no clue what they are going to do. they are in an unenviable position of winning back the old school while keeping the new school. all i see coming from that is a mess of game that no one will like. id rather see them build on 4E and move forward.

#102 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 25 January 2012 - 08:40 PM

...have all components be sold separately from the core rule books.

Oh I don't think any of us will be surprised when WotC gives you your wish on that one... :?

#103 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 26 January 2012 - 12:24 AM

...have all components be sold separately from the core rule books.

Oh I don't think any of us will be surprised when WotC gives you your wish on that one... :?

WotC does love them some splatbooks.

#104 RAYN

RAYN

Goblin

• Members
  • 121 posts
  • LocationIndiana

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

I don't know if I over looked someone posting this but, I for one am signing up for the play test, so I can give feed back. I hated 4th ed stayed with 3.5 but maybe if enough people play test they might actually listen and make it what the players want...

PlayTest

#105 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:29 AM

I just found this on Beasts of War. It's a 5th edition question & answer session from a recent convention that might be worth a quick watch. There's a lot of media speak and media buzzwords but some interesting nuggets of information in there as well.

Watch an excitable balding hobbit and his skinny friend with spiky hair who's trying to look 15 years younger than he is talk about 5th edition and answer a lot of questions.

#106 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 10 April 2012 - 12:37 AM

Oh dear goodness. They're proud of the Castle Ravenloft boardgame? Thw worst disrespectful raping of a former product they've ever done.

And even more disturbingly, they think Eberron's a popular setting. It might be popular but it's unappealing and rubbish. If 5th ed's going to be all Eberron style that's a bit of a turn off for me.

#107 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 23 April 2012 - 10:25 PM

. . . even more disturbingly, they think Eberron's a popular setting. It might be popular but it's unappealing and rubbish. If 5th ed's going to be all Eberron style that's a bit of a turn off for me.

I know this is going to sound dumb, but why don't you like Eberron?

#108 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 May 2012 - 05:43 PM

The 5e playtest is supposed to be starting tomorrow. Even those like myself who aren't much interested in the actual system might like a sneak peek at the initial offering, in which case you can sign up at the wizards website (there's a great big banner).

I'm going to be out of town and away from my group, so I won't get much if any playtesting done. But if anyone does, please post your thoughts.

#109 PrestoJeff

PrestoJeff

Stirge

• Members
  • 453 posts
  • LocationSilicon Valley, California

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:56 AM

Grr, I can't create a Wizards account because of the stupid User Agreement popup not enabling the "I Accept" button. I'm trying FF/Linux and Safari/iPad. Anyone managed to create a new account?

EDIT: Opera/iPad and Chrome/Mac also fail to display the popup (or don't enable the I Accept button).

#110 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 09:58 AM

I already had an account but it seems like the site is having some difficulties. Everything is really sloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow.

#111 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:27 PM

There are some, ahem, non-official, distribution channels through which I managed to get hold of the playtest documents.

They're an early test with rules for the characters to progress to level 3. Characters have race, class, background and theme. Same 6 attributes we're used to in recent editions. A feat system is still in place including some 3e favorites like Cleave that I noticed in my brief perusal. The clerics and wizard sheets have spaces indicating that magic tops out with 7th level spells, so that progression has been changed. (Not that clerics are entirely unfamiliar with lacking spells over 7th level). In combat, you can move and take 1 action normally (though the fighter has an ability to act 2 times in a round, twice daily). There are some definite nods to 4e, but it looks like they've rolled back a lot of the changes, at least on a 10 minute browse of character sheets. It's still d20 system - roll 1d20 and add your modifier to see if you made the DC for the check. The rules document makes no mention of skills, but the characters have bonuses to certain skills, so maybe those are still around, or maybe they're just amorphous keywords that may apply to a given check. Opposed rolls are a thing. Ability mods are done in the same way as recent editions.

1 "new" mechanic is "advantage", or disadvantage when you're hosed. Disadvantage is the misfortune mechanic from Pathfinder's witch class. Advantage, you take the better of the two rolls.

The documents include a re-write of the dungeon crawl portion of Keep on the Borderlands to give your players a place to grind some enemies.

So, who's going to do some playtest audio? ;)

#112 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:41 PM

There are some, ahem, non-official, distribution channels through which I managed to get hold of the playtest documents.

They're an early test with rules for the characters to progress to level 3. Characters have race, class, background and theme. Same 6 attributes we're used to in recent editions. A feat system is still in place including some 3e favorites like Cleave that I noticed in my brief perusal. The clerics and wizard sheets have spaces indicating that magic tops out with 7th level spells, so that progression has been changed. (Not that clerics are entirely unfamiliar with lacking spells over 7th level). In combat, you can move and take 1 action normally (though the fighter has an ability to act 2 times in a round, twice daily). There are some definite nods to 4e, but it looks like they've rolled back a lot of the changes, at least on a 10 minute browse of character sheets. It's still d20 system - roll 1d20 and add your modifier to see if you made the DC for the check. Opposed rolls are a thing. Ability mods are done in the same way as recent editions.

The documents include a re-write of the dungeon crawl portion of Keep on the Borderlands to give your players a place to grind some enemies.

So, who's going to do some playtest audio? ;)

According to the NDA you can't record an actual play by play of the playtest. You can discuss the playtest, just not podcast it. Also, since posting a podcast on RPGMP3 would technically count as "benefiting a third party" it would probably get Hal in all kinds of trouble. :(

#113 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:44 PM

I didn't sign an NDA, I just visited scribd. :P

I wouldn't want to get Hal in trouble for sure though. Maybe youtube? Or host it on some DD site?

I'm honestly not going to spend the time playtesting this one. I gave up on WTC a long time ago. When I've got players interested in something other than Pathfinder, I'll consider it, but until then I'll mostly ignore this.

#114 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:48 PM

I'm giving it a try as soon as the website let's me download the damned file :evil:

#115 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 May 2012 - 01:56 PM

This is why I preferred the unofficial channels for it. If you're going to compete with free, you generally need a non-miserable user experience. Maybe I'm just a slimy underhanded sort though. :oops:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge