#181 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:21 PM

Open character creation. The player decides as an individual what character to play. It is then up to the individual to decide how the player reacts to the others at the table. Once created, the table decides a backstory as to why they are all together.

So your ideal system makes the idea of a balanced, workable party almost impossible.

I mean, what if everyone wanted to play a healer? Or a bard-type?

You are so focused on you-you-YOU, you are completely ignoring the needs of a party.

#182 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 16 December 2011 - 08:53 PM

So your ideal system makes the idea of a balanced, workable party almost impossible.

You are so focused on you-you-YOU, you are completely ignoring the needs of a party.

This seems uncharacteristically hostile of you?

Furthermore, mor'kil refers more to player-to-player interaction rather than mechanical make-up of the party. And even a party with a slightly skewed focus can work if the GM works with them to determine the focus of a campaign.

#183 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 16 December 2011 - 09:12 PM

This seems uncharacteristically hostile of you?

No, it really isn't.

Furthermore, mor'kil refers more to player-to-player interaction rather than mechanical make-up of the party. And even a party with a slightly skewed focus can work if the GM works with them to determine the focus of a campaign.

Hey, I'm all for fudging the "why the fuck am I spending time with you thundering morons" part of party forming a little, and neither is Hal, I'm sure (I mean, why else would the RM group have stayed together in the first place?)

But Gilbert seems to think that in-character reasons are entirely unimportant, and I really do get the sense that he's saying "if I can't play exactly the kind of character I want, I won't play".

I mean, I get that everyone has a preferred character type or class, but not only does gaming get boring if you never try something else, but sometimes the group just doesn't need another one of whatever you want to play.

A shadowrun team only needs so many gun-bunnies, after all.

I mean, I prefer playing a street samurai, but I've also played Riggers, the Mage, and in one VERY short game (three sessions) a technomancer.

Hell, if nothing else, playing different types of characters gets you a better look at the rules as a whole, and there's nothing wrong with that.

#184 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 08:17 AM

This topic has been long and going in so many direction that I'm beginning to wonder if anyone knows what anyone else is talking about any more in this thread (well, including myself, but here goes).

It seems some people are hung up over Gilbert's initial inclination to play something like an assassin. That part of the conversation seems over-emphasized when Gilbert (being still a neophyte in the RPG scene) seems unable to properly express his reasons for this choice, and many people started staking their case against Gilbert wanting to play a "good" assassin breaking party dynamics. In this instance, I don't think the massive pile-on he experienced would be the one he usually enjoys.

Later discussion should reveal that Gilbert just doesn't care for strict enforcement of in-character interactions restricting the choice of the character he can play. It seems that the mechanical approach to the character, or even the certain roleplay approach to the character (OMG I'm a kewl dark assassin!), is not the decisive factor in his character choice.

Certainly, the person of concern can correct me on this, yet I've seen no indication that Gilbert is particularly hung up over the idea that he has to play a certain class/race. To me, it seems his biggest problem with the games is that you can hand-wave some of the sillier notions of the game like fantasy physics, while you have to be limited by things like alignments. (not exact to my own personal opinion)

#185 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 02:50 PM

This decision is totally up to Gilbert, Hal, and Lindsay. Our job is to encourage them and not sour them on the entire idea. Hal already said in this thread that it was causing Lindsay some distress, so I don't see how some of the more argumentative posts are in anyway helpful.

Whatever they decide to play, I'm sure it will be fantastic!

#186 vegaserik

vegaserik

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 17 December 2011 - 03:15 PM

I agree with Vaeron, the most important thing is they have fun, if they're not having fun we won't get any more to listen to.

I am a little sad, I was really enjoying the Carrion Crown AP so far, but I'll give a shot to anything you guys record.

#187 Cervinus

Cervinus

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • LocationIndustry, PA

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:57 PM

Hey all

I registered because I just had to respond to this thread.

First, I want to thank all of you for playing and recording. I've really enjoyed the Carrion Crown sessions.

Second, Lindsay, I hope you're feeling better. I had back surgery too, and I know it takes time to recover. Hang in there! It definitely gets better.

Third, Gilbert - here's my humble take on some of what may be hanging you up. You seem to want to 'logic' your way through scenarios which is totally understandable. However, you might benefit from a good read-through of some key sections of the rules (e.g. Combat, Spell Casting, Skills). While some rules seem arbitrary, they're in place for structure and balance. They are the framework that makes the game work as a game. If you're familiar with the rules, you won't be so frustrated when you run up against them.

Think of this example. Let's say that you're playing Monopoly, and you'd really prefer to collect $3,000 when you pass 'Go' because you could buy a lot more properties with 3K than $200, and you make more money because you're a robber baron, and -hey- I'm sure you could totally convince the bank to loan you that much. That all may be true, but it wrecks the game balance because the game is set up for players to collect $200 for each pass around the board, not more or less. It may not seem logical, but it's part of what makes the game work as a whole.

Having said all of that, Pathfinder (or even RPGs) might just not be for you. It sounds like you guys are considering a different rules system (I'm not familiar with Rolemaster). Perhaps it will suit your gaming interests better. As others have suggested, maybe you can play some one-shots in different systems, or even just listen to some other actual play podcasts to get a sense of what all's out there. It sounds like you already know that you don't like story-heavy games or games that depict non-combat scenarios unfolding at a leisurely pace. That's a start.

Finally, Hal... Hal, you're a saint and an EXCELLENT GM. You're incredibly kind and considerate of your player's interests, and you do a wonderful job of explaining the rules, maintaining the pacing & story, role-playing the NPCs, etc. etc. (Darus, Bobby the Beast, and the stuttering barrister - all outstanding!) Most players would kill for that kind of GM. Personally, I really, really enjoyed the Carrion Crown story line. That's just my kind of adventure. Combat is nice and all, but to me the exploring, mystery-solving, creativity, and role playing are so much more interesting. It just goes to show that what appeals to one player may not appeal to another. Neither is right or wrong. Keep up the great work, and I hope you keep recording so that we all can keep enjoying.

Dungeon on!

#188 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 09 February 2012 - 04:03 PM

I registered because I just had to respond to this thread.

To date, I think I have gotten more people to pop their forum cherries than anyone else. Hell, I even break 'em in from Canada!

First, I want to thank all of you for playing and recording. I've really enjoyed the Carrion Crown sessions.

I sense a "but" coming on...

Third, Gilbert - here's my humble take on some of what may be hanging you up.

No thanks buddy, I'm not really that in to auto-erotic asphyxiation stuff... anymore.

Think of this example. Let's say that you're playing Monopoly, and you'd really prefer to collect $3,000 when you pass 'Go' because you could buy a lot more properties with 3K than $200, and you make more money because you're a robber baron, and -hey- I'm sure you could totally convince the bank to loan you that much. That all may be true, but it wrecks the game balance because the game is set up for players to collect $200 for each pass around the board, not more or less. It may not seem logical, but it's part of what makes the game work as a whole.

Yeah, I hate Monopoly. The rich guy on the board is too old for me and I'm really tired of always being the thimble.

(I'm not familiar with Rolemaster).

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Are you nuts??? Do you have any idea what Ieqo will do to you if you doubt the awesome power that is Rolemaster????

That's just my kind of adventure. Combat is nice and all, but to me the exploring, mystery-solving, creativity, and role playing are so much more interesting.

You just described an episode of Dora the Explorer.

Dungeon on!

Nice touch!

Welcome to the forums!
Hugs and half-orcs,
Gilbert :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge