• Please log in to reply
187 replies to this topic

#1 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

Most of you know there has been a noticeable lack of the Fashionista Gamers’ audio. Hal, Lindsay and I have noticed it too. Due to various scheduling issues, we haven’t been able to get together as often as we’d like. Schedules can be worked around, but there is another issue the three of us have decided to tackle, head on.

Playing the Carrion Crown story line has become increasingly frustrating for me. I find the plot points excessively dull and as I am sitting at the table, trying to enjoy the process, I find myself falling asleep listening to Hal read the back-story for Lindsay and I to understand. As such, playing with these story elements is no longer fun for me and I find myself losing interest in RPG’s all together.

I though I was alone in this until I talked with Lindsay. She agrees that the story is excessive and bogged down in so many details, that she is finding it difficult to keep up with the elements too. So much so, that she has now parked her laptop at the table just to write notes during the game, which is not fun for her at all. Telling all of this to Hal revealed that he is not enjoying running the game because of the tone of the players.
I get that the story is important, but at one point Hal is reading 3 pages of back-story, Lindsay is feverishly typing the information and I am sitting there twiddling my thumbs wondering when it will all end.

Long story short, the three of us have decided that we are going to take a break from Carrion Crown. I suggested that we muddle through the rest of the Moon book, but Hal insists that this is a nice stopping point in the story. I am deferring to his judgment.

Having experienced this much of RPG’s, I have come to the conclusion that the main element I dislike is the actual roleplay. I can’t divorce myself from my character; frankly it’s not that important to me that the character has a different personality or voice. This seems to be a major stumbling block for gaming.

In an effort to save our gaming experience, Hal suggested an open-ended game of Rolemaster. He showed me some of the elements that are associated with it and there seems to be less of a defined story that leads you down a path and more of a system of small missions and tasks. I don’t know if this will instill a refreshed attitude about RPG’s in me, but I am willing to try.

Lindsay, Hal and I are going to take some personal time off from recording anything this month and we will more than likely resume some sort of gaming schedule in January; however, there may or may not be a Christmas surprise soon.

I would sincerely appreciate your thoughts and/or suggestions as to what we should do as a group to move this forward. If you just want to cuss me out, that will be fine too.

Gilbert

#2 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:49 AM

Wow - that sounds pretty serious :)

Let us not forget that we would have been taking a break anyway due to Lindsay having her surgery at the end of this week :)

Also - I do not dislike Carrion Crown as an Adventure Path. It is well written and the story is sound. I am finding that with such a small group that there is some bogging down when it comes to the social aspect of things - they find it hard to keep track of all the NPCs and they are finding they are having to take HUGE amounts of notes where normally this burden would be spread over a number of different characters.

If Rolemaster takes well we might end up with the system where we play one game of RM and one session of CC but if we start RM I would want to get it running for a while before stepping to 2 games in a day scenario :)

Also - let me inject that I LOVE ROLEMASTER :) (dances)

Hal :hal:

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:04 AM

Oooh, I do love me some Rolemaster!

It can be tough tracking all the details on an investigative adventure, especially between sessions and a lot of that plot gets driven by skill and ability checks. Usually after an investigative game I find myself craving a good old fashioned hack and slash dungeon crawl.

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 11:48 AM

Hey, whatever works for you is what matters.

If the story elements don't jive for you, then it can be really hard to roleplay.

Open ended games can be fun, and Hal is really good at running that sort of game. You can then define your motivation and run with in.

Sounds exciting!

#5 MonsterMike

MonsterMike

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationWisconsin, USA

Posted 05 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

I've been listening to the Carrion Crown recordings (I'm up to the 4th session or so) and have to say I have really been enjoying them. However, I'm not surprised about the frustration you are experiencing.

You have great chemistry as a group and obviously enjoy each other's company as you game. Gilbert is a riot, Hal runs a fantastic game and has given me fresh insight for how to play a cleric, and Lindsey is simply awesome. But you may not be in the right type of game for the players.

Given Gilbert's love of shopping and Lindsey's propensity to nick things that aren't hers (in game, of course) you might want to consider a modern-day espionage system like Top Secret/SI or Mercenaries, Spies, and Private Eyes. Run a high class big heist type of story. Lots of gadgets to buy, spies have to be fabulously dressed at all times, and Teeka can continue to insist that she is not a thief. :P

#6 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

There were 31 sessions of Rolemaster that Hal ran with his other group. The last session was posted on January 25th, 2010.

Do you all think it is too soon to start another Rolemaster campaign?

If so, can you all think of another series/game that would work?

Run a high class big heist type of story.

I think I like the idea of a non-realistic game setting. Fighting dragons appeals to me more than robbing a bank. Nice suggestion though. I didn't even know that type of game existed.

G

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:31 PM

I don't think it is too soon, but if you are looking for non-realistic setting:
Paranoia - Think Logans run with a comical twist. Your character is part of a series of clones and easily replacible.
Gamma World - Like D&D, but in a post nuclear war mutant filled future

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:44 PM

A lengthier post coming after I'm done work, probably, but I don't want Hal to forget he has like, three vouchers for a free game ran by me :P

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:45 PM

Don't forget that RoleMaster is not only a fantasy game, if you're worried about that. I have their excellent pulp, viking and Greek supplements, for instance. Using a different fantasy setting than the previous game would also give it a very different flavour (although frankly I think that the difference in players will do that quite adequately anyway :D). For my money it's an excellent choice, lots of useful mechanical crunch - and the ever-popular critical hit tables - but essentially straightforward as long as you have a GM who knows the ropes, as Hal certainly does.

Still, maybe an historical setting might appeal. Greek, anyone? ;-)

#10 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:50 PM

Greek, anyone? ;-)

Gilbert? Your line, I believe.
;) :twisted:

#11 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 03:58 PM

Greek, anyone? ;-)

Gilbert? Your line, I believe.
;) :twisted:

Thing, I am trying to have a serious conversation about gamin..... oh who am I kidding?

THE LAST TIME I TRIED GREEK, I WAS PICKING LITTLE BLACK HAIRS OUT OF MY TEETH FOR A WEEK!

There... happy?

G :D

#12 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:19 PM

Nice posting, Gilbert..

Nothing for me to add except a little "Yay, Rolemaster" :)

#13 Helaman

Helaman

Kobold

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 04:22 PM

Firstly - Best wishes for Lindsay.

Secondly - Thanks for all the entertainment

Third - I'll miss you :(

Fourth - Rolemaster? AYKM? That is NOT an easy system - I've played it (and Spacemaster), and loved it but its a lot of work in character generation and leveling. That said? Crits for the WIN!

I'm looking forward to seeing you back and recording but its one of those things - you have to enjoy it. I personally think CC is the mutts nuts, bees knees and other wonderful bits of assorted animals but I also love story, plot and investigation above the action of combat.

Edit: It also sounds like you need a third player. I don't think you are rolling in 'excess' gamers atm but the addition would help.

Anyways - thanks again. I'll hit the forums periodically to check on you all.

#14 Caralad

Caralad

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:12 PM

As much as I personally love the setting for Carrion Crown (Horror settings have always been a personal favourite of mine) I can easily hear that you're not enjoying it fully. I think trying another game after a break could be a good thing for you, and I can easily imagine gilbert falling in love with the crit system in Rolemaster.

#15 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 December 2011 - 06:51 PM

" I have come to the conclusion that the main element I dislike is the actual roleplay. I can’t divorce myself from my character; frankly it’s not that important to me that the character has a different personality or voice. " I dont think think the inability to seperate player from character is all that unusual for new players. I am listening to the Gaming Grunts podcast and its fairly clear in their debut Call of Cthulu game that most of the players were having that issue, one in particular wasnt even trying. They still seemed to have fun and its been mostly enjoyable listening so far. I've got two young guys in my non-recording group right now that are pretty much paper cutout dnd adventurers, even to the point of living in the inn and getting drunk whenever they have off time. They are just into the game more for the combat then characters and story, but they still have enough fun to keep coming back. The key is just to find what you like and find a setting and system that provides that. I would suggest looking at movies/books that you think would be fun to play through as a group and let Hal or the forums suggest systems/settings that might match the elements you found interesting. I am running Ootak through a savage worlds game based on the "Monster Hunter International" book series which is more combat, good vs evil and fantastic element oriented to have a break from out Traveller campaign which was scifi and where the characters were at best a dark grey morally. Maybe you want to listen to a session or two from different greoups to get a broader idea of what is possible.

#16 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 05 December 2011 - 10:01 PM

Loving the Rolemaster love. Gilbert will love the crit tables. Only problem though is unless Lockhart is as expert at RM as he is at PFRPG, Gilbert'll need to find a new rules-monkey.

Now who around here knows RM, I wonder? Hmmm.

#17 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:03 AM

I personally think that Hal could pull off a good Rolemaster campaign for gilbert and linsday. Something tailored for 2 or 3 PC's (if hal takes up one). I personally am going to be trying something like this with my daughter using the HARP system (sorta like RM light). Plus the bonus is that RM is a system that Hal is very familiar with and not so many rules questions will hang up the game and Gilberts suspension of reality wont be broken as often bringing a smoother flow for enjoyment.

Jason

#18 Ashiruni

Ashiruni

Kobold

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 06 December 2011 - 12:37 AM

heh, I don't think you'll need to worry about rules mastery with rolemaster. Just from listening to the audio they've already released, I'd swear Hal has almost every word on those pages memorized.

I agree with Helaman tho, an extra player or two would help. I think part of Gilbert's problem with the game is that there's not enough people involved in the roleplay to keep him interested. The story, such as it is, gets overwhelmed in rules and illogical elements that make him come up for air too early, and make it difficult to get back into the flow of things. Then, on those few times that it does actually get flowing again, it's just combat and rules and it's not all that interesting. As for rolemaster, I can't wait until Gilbert gets his first 91+ on a crit table. I think he'll get one hell of a kick out of it :P

#19 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 06 December 2011 - 04:40 AM

Playing the Carrion Crown story line has become increasingly frustrating for me. I find the plot points excessively dull and as I am sitting at the table, trying to enjoy the process, I find myself falling asleep listening to Hal read the back-story for Lindsay and I to understand [...] at one point Hal is reading 3 pages of back-story, Lindsay is feverishly typing the information and I am sitting there twiddling my thumbs wondering when it will all end.

If Hal ever suggests that you try Call of Cthulhu, check which scenario he's pulling down from his groaning shelves of RPG supplements - if the front cover looks like this, run for the hills:

Posted Image

Seriously, if you think the pre-scripted railroading text-block-reading-that-seemingly-never-ends in Carrion Crown is bad, ya ain't seen nuffin' yet. Besides, the previous group already wore out all the CoC:BtMoM-jokes, anyway. (It's pronounced coque-bottomme :))

It appears that all three of you are positive about Rolemaster, which is all that matters, really. A game that the players and the GM enjoy will invariably be more fun to listen in on than if the Fashionistas are forcing themselves to slog through a scenario that has turned into a chore. So long as Hal promises never to introduce Gilbert to Darren Stover, it's all good. 8O Plus, I get to draw some new character portraits, so I'm happy as Larry. :)

It would be great if you could lure some of the Long Tall Texans back in the fold - Ned and Goggles relocated, so they're probably unavailable, but what about Chris, David or Glen?

"BEAR!!!!!"
"Can I intimidate it?"
"I turn myself into a chicken and when it tries to eat me, I'll stab it with my trebuchet!"
"I'm just here to follow this train wreck to its fiery conclusion."
"That's what she said!"
Etc.

I'm not sure whether the magic swag that the Rulemaster players acquired in session 9 was typical for the system or purely Hal's invention, but if they return, it will be fun to see what you guys come up with to top the +2 Canary Yellow Feather Boa of Fabulous or the T-1000 Novelty Ball Gag. :gimp:

Rolemaster? AYKM? That is NOT an easy system - I've played it (and Spacemaster), and loved it but its a lot of work in character generation and leveling. That said? Crits for the WIN!

Nah, Hal managed to introduce the Long Tall Texans to Rolemaster with very little friction. It all boils down to how much crunch you want in your fluff. (Crunch is the rules and numbers bit - fluff is the acting and talking to NPCs instead of killing them. There's nothing rude about those words, Mor'ki- STOP SNIGGERING!)

I dont think think the inability to seperate player from character is all that unusual for new players.

I concur. Let me try and put it in terms that won't be so hard for you to grasp, Gilbert:

You remember your anal sex diatribe? "If you want a guy doing it to you, you're probably gay, but if a straight man wants his wife or girlfriend sticking something in him, then that's perfectly okay!"

Well, it's like this: If you play your character as an extension of yourself, purely wanting to kill monsters and score loot, you're probably a powergamer. If you want to have the best equipment and highest numbers possible on your character sheet, you're probably a munchkin. But, as long as you do what Lindsay tells you to, it's all perfectly okay!

Once Weasel has rid himself of the embryonic alien parasites that are gestating in his kidneys, he might drop by and introduce you to the Pawn Stance and GNS theory. It will blow your mind - and not in a good way. ;)

Maybe you want to listen to a session or two from different groups to get a broader idea of what is possible.

Yeah, Gilbert keeps complaining that he can't tell different people's voices apart on audio. He probably needs to get his ears checked.

That's EARS, Mr Gripe, with only a single 'R'. :x

I am running Ootak through a savage worlds game based on the "Monster Hunter International" book series which is more combat, good vs evil and fantastic element oriented to have a break from out Traveller campaign which was scifi and where the characters were at best a dark grey morally.

Is that basically Buffy the Vampire Slayer Goes on Holiday, or is it more PokéMon?
And, the main question: Is it being recorded?

I personally think that Hal could pull off a good Rolemaster campaign for gilbert and linsday.

LindsDay? That's April 19th, right? ;)

Can you all think of another series/game that would work? [...] I think I like the idea of a non-realistic game setting. Fighting dragons appeals to me more than robbing a bank. Nice suggestion though. I didn't even know that type of game existed.

RuneQuest! You can play a kung-fu warrior duck, which is even more fun than it sounds. :D

#20 PaulofCthulhu

PaulofCthulhu

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,345 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist

Posted 06 December 2011 - 05:05 AM

If Hal ever suggests that you try Call of Cthulhu, check which scenario he's pulling down from his groaning shelves of RPG supplements - if the front cover looks like this, run for the hills

Since many people over the years have had a lot of fun with Beyond the Mountains of Madness it may suggest it was more of an issue with that particular group than with the campaign.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge