#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 24 November 2011 - 02:40 PM

Isis Tweeted about this earlier in the week, but for those who missed it here's a truly brilliant live-action tribute to / remake of the opening sequence of the old Ulysses 31 cartoon.

It would look a lot better if I could work out how to embed the video...

#2 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 25 November 2011 - 05:07 AM

That's just awoken strange, cozey Saturday morning memories from very early in my life.

#3 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:01 AM

That was so awesome!

I now have another use for our box grater :)

There is no way to embed videos in the site as it currently stands. Working on it when I gets the time...

Hal :hal:

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 08:29 AM

Working on it when I gets the time...

Somewhere, an English teacher is sobbing quietly in a corner, as little Dickie Halpin goes more and more native as the days slip by. :)

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 November 2011 - 10:27 AM

Somewhere, an English teacher is sobbing quietly in a corner, as little Dickie Halpin goes more and more native as the days slip by. :)

You'll find that if you simply add "my Precioussss" to the end of Hal's comment it becomes much less of a problem ;-)

#6 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

Sorry - I did watch all of the Lord of the Rings movies yesterday :)

Much to Lindsay's distress... :)

They still aren't as good as the book...

#7 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 04:51 AM

You know, I believe Tolkien wrote more than just the one book - or have you perhaps spent your entire quota of sibilants for the week? ;)

#8 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 29 November 2011 - 07:51 AM

You know, I believe Tolkien wrote more than just the one book - or have you perhaps spent your entire quota of sibilants for the week? ;)

Depends on how you're defining book. If you go by the strictist meaning, LOTR is divided into the...six books of red...marsh? (Needs further researching). If you were to ask Tolkien though, he'd have probably said it was all one book that publishers made him split into three parts.

Unless you're talking about the Hobbit or Silmarillion, of which the movie for the former hasn't been shown in theatres yet and the later is doubtful movie property (it was doubtful book property), or other releases that have popped out in the last few years that are like 'We were totally written by Tolkien before he died and only editted by his son.', which...I haven't read and I'm skeptical about. Why didn't Christopher work on those books when he was editting the Silmarillion?

In any event, I believe refering to the LOTR as a single book is acceptable. It was meant by it's author to be one single publication.

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:29 AM

Depends on how you're defining book. If you go by the strictist meaning, LOTR is divided into the...six books of red...marsh? (Needs further researching). If you were to ask Tolkien though, he'd have probably said it was all one book that publishers made him split into three parts.

Unless you're talking about the Hobbit or Silmarillion, of which the movie for the former hasn't been shown in theatres yet and the later is doubtful movie property (it was doubtful book property), or other releases that have popped out in the last few years that are like 'We were totally written by Tolkien before he died and only editted by his son.', which...I haven't read and I'm skeptical about. Why didn't Christopher work on those books when he was editting the Silmarillion?

In any event, I believe refering to the LOTR as a single book is acceptable. It was meant by it's author to be one single publication.

Did he intend for it to be sold with a Saruman-esque lectern, or mayhap a little wheelie bin, so you wouldn't get a hernia trying to heft the massive lump of dead rain forest? ;)

#10 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:39 AM

Perhaps he was taking 'the pen is mightier than the sword' a bit too literally and was trying to make the best bludgeoning weapon ever.

#11 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 29 November 2011 - 09:58 AM

or other releases that have popped out in the last few years that are like 'We were totally written by Tolkien before he died and only editted by his son.', which...I haven't read and I'm skeptical about. Why didn't Christopher work on those books when he was editting the Silmarillion?

Children of Húrin was a well done, if short, book. As to it's authenticity...it did have that certain quality seen in the Silmarillion, and ties in with that book very well. (Children, unlike the Silmarillion, is readable, too =))

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge