• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Caralad

Caralad

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:13 PM

So I've decided, thanks to listening to the adventures of Mor'kil Tika and Darrus to step behind the GM screen for the first time and run Carrion Crown for some poor unsuspecting souls. I was just wondering if anyone with any Pathfinder experience would be willing to give advice on how many points to give them in a point buy system?

Hal, how much did you give your players? (If indeed you did run point buy). They seemed slightly stronger than the regular 1st level character would be, but obviously you're smaller than the average group too.

The party is going to be 5 players if that makes any difference. Most of them have no foreknowledge of a D20 system (we've mainly played things like Dark Heresy, Death Watch and are about to launch a new Black Crusade campaign based on the Death Watch Characters becoming hugely corrupted.)

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated by a rookie GM :oops:

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:44 PM

Pathfinder adventure path recommends 15 points. Recommended # of players is 4, but 5 is just fine. But here's what you do...give them xp as if there were 4 in the group. It's easy to see that on the official pathfinder GM screen, but I didn't see it really spelled out in the rulebook. (for others reading this, treat 1-3 as 3, 4-5 as 4, and 6+ as 6).

Hal's group rolled lots until it 'looked good' There is a link to character sheets somewhere around here.

And welcome to the forums!

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:26 PM

15 points? Ewww... Also a TPK waiting to happen.

I'd recommend 25 points, especially if your players are new to d20 play.

#4 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

I definitely wouldn't go less than 20 point buy, and for a group where neither players nor GM has played before I really don't think you can go too high.

#5 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:35 AM

Does Team Doomed play with points?

G :?:

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

Nope, you're just gladdened by groins.

#7 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 11:03 AM

Nope, you're just gladdened by groins.

Well, particular groins at least.

G :wink:

#8 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 01:34 PM

My group has 15 points and they are just about to finish up book 1 of kingmaker...but they aren't new to d20 either.

#9 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:14 PM

My understanding is that you guys rolled your stats, but it's pretty easy to look at your stats and see how many points it would have cost to buy them. In fact, I did just that. :D

By my calculations, a Teeka of your own would be a 77 point buy, Darrus a 72 point buy and a Morkil (appropriately enough) a 69 point buy.

#10 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 November 2011 - 04:45 PM

My understanding is that you guys rolled your stats, but it's pretty easy to look at your stats and see how many points it would have cost to buy them. In fact, I did just that. :D

By my calculations, a Teeka of your own would be a 77 point buy, Darrus a 72 point buy and a Morkil (appropriately enough) a 69 point buy.

I agree with that calculation and all I have to say is: Wow.

#11 Caralad

Caralad

Toad

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 15 November 2011 - 05:46 PM

Thanks for the advice guys, I'll probably give them 25 points as I do think they will need all the help they can get. We should hopefully get together next week to do some character creation. They've had a quick look at the core rulebook and I've already got 2 people wanting to be Barbarians and one person wanting to be a Dwarfen fighter. That could be interesting in Harrowstone. :twisted:

#12 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 16 November 2011 - 07:59 AM

I agree with that calculation and all I have to say is: Wow.

I concur. I still have no idea what any of you are talking about, but way to go Mordion!

G :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge