#2 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:11 AM

I was tempted to post that. :D

I'll link to an awesome picture instead.
Astronomy Picture of the Day

#3 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:30 PM

Posted Image

Because I can't top that last one. :)

#4 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,097 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:24 PM

I am happy you are starting to post some awesome things - even if they are from the 80s... :)

Keep up the good work... perhaps try posting on some other threads as well... or starting an interesting discussion? :)

Hal :hal:

#5 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 01:57 PM

I feel that an interesting discussion would have to be about tabletop RPGs, which is the main subject of this site.

I do have something interesting to share, though I don't know if it discussion or comment worthy. I'll let y'all decide that.

I am usually the GM, and I've been running Kingmaker which i think most will agree is an excellent adventure path. I've also had the opportunity to play in a Council of Thieves game, and we just finished our second session.

I don't want to give a spoiler so I'll try to summarize what happened. There was an obvious plot hook, that hadn't quite been spelt out yet, but I, having played several RPGs was able to voice. Essentially it was "oh these bad guys are out there, and if we deal with them, it's good all the way around."

The GM joked that I had either read the adventure or gleaned the information some other way...which wasn't the case but how do prove a negative, right?

Anyways, do some publishers rely on certain tropes in fantasy rpgs or rpgs in general to the point that someone versed in them can easily spot it?

#6 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 November 2011 - 03:40 PM

OMG is that kid playing Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers??????
I have that game and it is STILL AWESOME! Only to be out done by the Duck Tales game!

G :D

#7 Ashiruni

Ashiruni

Kobold

• Members
  • 71 posts
  • LocationWashington

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:53 PM

I feel that an interesting discussion would have to be about tabletop RPGs, which is the main subject of this site.

I do have something interesting to share, though I don't know if it discussion or comment worthy. I'll let y'all decide that.

I am usually the GM, and I've been running Kingmaker which i think most will agree is an excellent adventure path. I've also had the opportunity to play in a Council of Thieves game, and we just finished our second session.

I don't want to give a spoiler so I'll try to summarize what happened. There was an obvious plot hook, that hadn't quite been spelt out yet, but I, having played several RPGs was able to voice. Essentially it was "oh these bad guys are out there, and if we deal with them, it's good all the way around."

The GM joked that I had either read the adventure or gleaned the information some other way...which wasn't the case but how do prove a negative, right?

Anyways, do some publishers rely on certain tropes in fantasy rpgs or rpgs in general to the point that someone versed in them can easily spot it?

I have to say that most writers in general do. We live in an era where, save a few notable exceptions, everything in fantasy/fiction these days is a trope, obvious ploy, or otherwise fairly predictable. I certainly can't speak for anyone else, but almost everything new and exciting these days is either the exception to the rule or (like twilight from my perspective) utter crap.

But that's just my two cents on the matter.

#8 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

The trouble with tropes, I think, is that they're so pervasive. By which I mean that, by this point, everything has been done so much that you can connect it to any of a number of tropes. Look at TVTropes in general. If you can think of it, you can find examples of either it being done before, or something close enough to it being done that it might as well have been.

As related to RPGs, tropes are pervasive for a very good reason: inspiration. We've all read the classics, the Lord of the Rings, the Arthurian lore, and the reason for that is because they're good. They've lasted this long because their stories and themes are things that resonate to this day. The people reading them take those themes they think are cool and use them. And, since these themes are all coming from the same source, we can identify them as such, thus tropes.

In short: you can't do anything truly original anymore. Gamers are a genre-savvy lot, and can pick out tropes from a mile away. If you can pick them out, it's not evidence that you've read the adventure so much as the story lacking a subversion of the trope in question (which is, itself, a trope, though one less used than it could be).

#9 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:24 AM

I think it's quite possible that the writers of Adventure Paths or other prewritten modules, especially for combat heavy systems like Pathfinder, are sometimes intentionally heavy-handed with the tropes, in order to give newer or less creative players a sense of what kind of story the PCs have found themselves in, and what their role is intended to be.

#10 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:47 PM

OMG is that kid playing Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers??????
I have that game and it is STILL AWESOME! Only to be out done by the Duck Tales game!

G :D

Both were very good and I really liked the Duck Dodgers game. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge