#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

An interesting point cropped up in another thread (sparked by an heroic defence against yet another Spambot incursion. We fight so that one day all may live in peace) concerning the sheer volume of audio available - mostly for free, don't forget! - here on RPGMP3.com. Listeners who found the site a few years ago generally started with the World's Largest Dungeon recordings, still a great choice, which achieved some notoriety across the gaming portions of the 'net. Someone stumbling across the site now is faced with an absolutely ginormous, bewildering choice of games. Where do they start? How does anyone make an informed choice? or, indeed, find what's on offer in the first place?

I have a few ideas and I'm sure that Hal and Lindsay have plenty, but different people think differently and hunt for information in different ways. It may make sense for me to suggest that there is a list of games according to genre, for example, whereas someone else might want to check whether a game involves Skype, or how serious/comic it is, or whether the campaign reached an actual conclusion rather than halting abruptly. I'm wary of ratings systems - they can smack too much of a popularity contest - but I know that plenty of people find them useful. So, throwing this out there, how would you suggest that RPGMP3 makes it easier to find those dusty audio treasures from the vaults?

#2 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:39 AM

Hello... does this still work...? :P

Um, yeah, really frequent poster here... :oops: (really must remember

For me, I'd like them in chronological order and/or by genre.

What the recording medium was and the level of profanity (maybe in Fractions of Finn? :twisted:), would be useful too.

Complete or incomplete or one off may be nice too.

Is there a DB plugin for the hosting software?

#3 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

Sounds like a database of the recordings so we can tag and allow people to search for the content, order it by date, group, campaign, system. Tagging for levels of profanity type ratings, etc. should be doable, although more subjective criteria can be contentious.

#4 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 17 October 2011 - 07:55 AM

Level of profanity... Hmm, tricky... I rather like the idea of measuring it in Fins, or how about this simple scale:

[*:fvlvcfty]None
[*:fvlvcfty]Mildly Sweary
[*:fvlvcfty]Not Nearly Sweary Enough
[*:fvlvcfty]Jolly Sweary Indeed
[*:fvlvcfty]Unmitigated Filth of the First Water

#5 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

Level of profanity... Hmm, tricky... I rather like the idea of measuring it in Fins, or how about this simple scale:

[*:1tk3l5em]None
[*:1tk3l5em]Mildly Sweary
[*:1tk3l5em]Not Nearly Sweary Enough
[*:1tk3l5em]Jolly Sweary Indeed
[*:1tk3l5em]Unmitigated Filth of the First Water

I like your scale, but I am afraid I would have to rate most of the audio as Not Nearly Sweary Enough

#6 forgedchaos

forgedchaos

Goblin

• Members
  • 137 posts
  • LocationCanton OH

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:33 AM

I know when I am finished with the new eps of the series I listen to I like to explore to find older stuff myself.

Things I look for are Genre, system,and if something is complete or not. Also something that would be helpful is that on the Itunes list its hard to see which group has recorded the audio sometimes. Not to play favorites but that's another way I look for things to listen to, If I like one thing I'll see what else they've recorded.

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 08:41 AM

I also prioritize my listening by group. A few groups on the site I will just listen to anything they produce, and once I have exhausted that I will peruse the remainder, usually listening to or skimming the 1st session to see if the play style, banter,etc. is something I want more of.

hmmm, finding audio on the site itself, and in the iTunes/podcast feeds are a bit of different beasties. We are pretty limited in what we can do in the RSS feeds outside of a long list of tags currently.

#8 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 17 October 2011 - 12:46 PM

How about a flow chart, like this one for Science Fiction and Fantasy books? (NPR top 100 SF&F books)

I'd like to suggest some clever citizenship tagging system, where we use the members of the site to all tag the audios; the most popular tags being used to populate a cloud diagram. You then click on a tag, "Old skool", say, which then takes you to a list of links to those audios which people ahve tagged as such. But unfortunately I don't think the site's going to be up the that level of tech. :?

#9 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

I would love to do a live map like the literature search on gnooks.
I found some great authors that way

Terry Pratchett Search

#10 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 17 October 2011 - 03:23 PM

Ooh, that's cool. :)

#11 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 17 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

How about a flow chart, like this one for Science Fiction and Fantasy books? (NPR top 100 SF&F books)

I'd like to suggest some clever citizenship tagging system, where we use the members of the site to all tag the audios; the most popular tags being used to populate a cloud diagram. You then click on a tag, "Old skool", say, which then takes you to a list of links to those audios which people ahve tagged as such. But unfortunately I don't think the site's going to be up the that level of tech. :?

:Tags self as Old Skool:

:D

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 08:34 AM

What about sorting the sessions based on participants, not just group affiliations? After all, some of the games had guest stars, like the Whartson Hall inviting Hal and Lindsay over to kick some Mountain Nazi Witch butt, and Steve D dropped by in the Texans' 4E D&D game. It would make it much easier for the Lindsay Fan Club to keep track of her appearances. :)

You might consider joining efforts with the Yoggies; even though Yog-Sothoth.com is exclusively for CoC-lovers, there is a degree of overlap in the sites' player base, and I believe the Whartsons' excellent Descent into Darkness audio play is hosted over there - no doubt the Yoggies would love to have easy reference of the CoC games over here, as well.

With regards to Isis' idea: If the technology is a hindrance, would it be possible to host a super-smart index on another site, perhaps a blog or similar, and get Hal to place a highly conspicuous link on the front page, saying: Newcomers - Look HERE!

#13 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:01 AM

...I believe the Whartsons' excellent Descent into Darkness audio play is hosted over there...

Unfortunately it never got beyond the trailer and test episode :(

#14 WhiteKnight

WhiteKnight

Ghoul

• Members
  • 842 posts
  • LocationBradford, UK

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:30 AM

Steve D dropped by in the Texans' 4E D&D game.
[/b]

Wrong Steve, if it happened it would have been Steve B. :)

#15 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 12:59 PM

What about sorting the sessions based on participants, not just group affiliations?

I have a feeling such an index would lead to games of "x degrees of separation" from either Hal or Fin, and you'd have arguments about whether recordings on YSDC were cannon for the game.

#16 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 02:55 PM

I have a feeling such an index would lead to games of "x degrees of separation" from either Hal or Fin, and you'd have arguments about whether recordings on YSDC were cannon for the game.

There are no degrees of separation from Fin; he's in everything. :D

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:02 PM

Good idea for a thread this.

Why not keep it simple and do something like PoC's Yoggie patron downloads thread? Listed by group and chronologically?

#18 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts

Posted 18 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

We don't need a utility to have those kinds of discussions and fights! ;)

#19 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 18 October 2011 - 10:33 PM

I haven't seen the Yoggie Patron Thread but that sounds like a good idea.

In another vein, and I know it's been brought up before, but what about a torrent? It could have a simple folder hierarchy: group / game / session. It could also lighten the load on the server, and those downloading the torrent could choose which parts of the torrent they wanted to download.

I'm not certain what I think of this idea really, but wanted to throw that out there.

#20 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 19 October 2011 - 05:12 AM

Steve D dropped by in the Texans' 4E D&D game.
[/b]

Wrong Steve, if it happened it would have been Steve B. :)

Posted Image

Sorry about that. Won't 'appen again, sir. Ack-ack-ack-ack-ack!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge