• Create Account
Photo

OUT!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Your thoughts... (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Your thoughts...

1. Watching a male Halfling do push-ups turns me on like a freaking light switch (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I start to feel funny when I look at Pencil-Monkey's drawings of Mor'kil. (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. What happens at GenCon, stays at GenCon! (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#41 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 20 October 2011 - 01:04 PM

Pheonix, I understand pain is not a rational thing but does that justify hating an entire group of people based on the actions of two perverted people?

I've been fighting with myself over how to respond to this since I saw it, and I think I finally know how to respond without calling anyone any names

I absolutely understand how an experience might color one's opinion of a group as a whole - how often has a single (or a handful) of experience(s) with, say, religion ruined someone's opinion on the whole affair?

Take Richard Feynman, or Edward Gibbon, people who's early experiences with religion caused them to take a dim view on the whole thing.

Or someone who is attacked by a dog, and from that one experience no longer cares for dogs?

Or someone who is cheated on by a handful of partners, and from that becomes distrustful of the other gender in their entirety?

A man (or woman) is defined by their experiences, and while the end result may come to include opinions and beliefs that you don't agree with - or find to be repugnant - they are valid for that person, and should not be simply dismissed as simply wrong-headed or misguided.

#42 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 03:57 PM

Can I appeal to the mods to lock this thread? The range of this topic is getting a little out of hand. It might be just me saying this, but, while we can offer supportive messages to our fellow members on this site, this is not a forum that is suited to deal with debates on personal views on sexuality, and peoples' way of handling personal traumas.

#43 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 20 October 2011 - 06:01 PM

Pheonix, I understand pain is not a rational thing but does that justify hating an entire group of people based on the actions of two perverted people?

I've been fighting with myself over how to respond to this since I saw it, and I think I finally know how to respond without calling anyone any names

I absolutely understand how an experience might color one's opinion of a group as a whole - how often has a single (or a handful) of experience(s) with, say, religion ruined someone's opinion on the whole affair?

Take Richard Feynman, or Edward Gibbon, people who's early experiences with religion caused them to take a dim view on the whole thing.

Or someone who is attacked by a dog, and from that one experience no longer cares for dogs?

Or someone who is cheated on by a handful of partners, and from that becomes distrustful of the other gender in their entirety?

A man (or woman) is defined by their experiences, and while the end result may come to include opinions and beliefs that you don't agree with - or find to be repugnant - they are valid for that person, and should not be simply dismissed as simply wrong-headed or misguided.

You're absolutely right that those feelings are valid. I'm sorry if you got that impression that I was trying to dismiss another person's pain and experience. My point as simple as I can make it is this: having a negative experience with one group of people does not entitle you to preemptively enact punishment on others in that group.

Lets look at the cheating girlfriend example you used. Lets say a man is cheated on by two girlfriends in a row. I think he's absolutely justified badmouthing those ex-girlfriends and even women in general. I fully expect he would wait a long time before dating again and be more aware of the signs of cheating. Those feelings are not wrong, but they don't override the rights of others. If that boyfriend gets a new girlfriend and decides to hide cameras all over her house to make sure she isn't cheating, that may come from a place of honest feelings but it is certainly not okay.

I hope that clarifying my point has made it less objectionable to you.

Also, Snappyapple I don't agree this thread needs to be locked. I think it is something of a credit to the community here that we can discuss this and have disagreements while still respecting each other. I would be upset if this kind of thing took over the forums but at the moment it is well contained to one thread on one subforum. Very easy to avoid.

#44 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:38 PM

Hey folks,

I have been watching this thread pretty closely with the rest of the mods and while I agree it is not exactly "on topic" for a gaming forum, at the moment I am going to leave it unlocked.

Like others, I am extremely impressed by the way the community as a whole has handled the extremely serious and delicate nature of the content and I believe it would be a disservice to those who have been brave enough to post (and those who have been reading it) to lock the thread at this point.

The moderation on this forum has always been intentionally light and i believe this has the benefit of creating a close knit community of friends rather than a faceless bunch of users. The very fact that people are posting to this forum makes me believe this all the more.

We continue to monitor, as we do with the rest of the forum ;)

Cheers
Hal :hal:

#45 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 20 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Thanks Hal, I understand and respect your decision in keeping the thread open.

I honestly love the rpgmp3 community because of how open and close-knit some of the members are. However, I believe the original point of the thread that Gilbert had created it for has been made. The unexpected turn of events that followed from the original topic was unfortunate, if only because of the horrible acts that it described.

Although I have been on the forum for a while, I really don't know the exact circumstances that Phoenix or mtmjPat dealt with. Thus, the most honest reaction I had at the moment I read the post, and even now, is to offer my sympathy and support, and the wish that it simply didn't happen to them.

Regarding the subsequent discussions and disagreement on how to approach this issue, while I could elaborate unnecessarily about my opinion on the act of sharing advice online in general, I think it's important that the focus be kept on the original problem, rather than the disagreement between conflicting views of the advisors.

#46 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 03:27 AM

An intellectual half-orc/half-carrot? The mind boggles.

I hate you.

I'm sorry, what did you say? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me being AWESOME. :D

I have been watching this thread pretty closely with the rest of the mods and while I agree it is not exactly "on topic" for a gaming forum, at the moment I am going to leave it unlocked...

We don't want to get even close to having to ban people, or shut down a thread, or even delete individual posts, so I'm jumping in here not to issue warnings or point the Official Finger at anyone, merely to remind you all that this is a gaming forum; and a pretty friendly one, too.

What? You mean we've dragged the kerfuffle out of the gutter?! Somebody had better lower the standard again:

Posted Image

#47 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

OH WOW, I LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR FIVE MINUTES...

Well, since a few people have mistaken this thread about homosexuality and roleplaying for a billable-hour therapy session, I'll continue the trend. There is something I have been wanting to get off my hairy chest for some time now.

I AM PHYSICALLY ATTRACTED TO PICTURES OF ANTHROPOMORPHIC MALE ANIMALS WITH LARGE PENISES!

Oh my Goddess, you have no idea how long that has been plaguing me. I though it was something to be ashamed of, but thanks to the therapeutic bird bath of the forums, I can now walk tall.

Lube and rubbers,
G :wink:

#48 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 07:23 AM

I'm sorry, what did you say? I couldn't hear you over the sound of me being AWESOME.

Yeah yeah, whatever... you win this round Pencil Sharpener, but I guarantee you, this is not over. :twisted:

In the meantime...

Posted Image

G :D

#49 swj719

swj719

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,533 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationCentral IL

Posted 21 October 2011 - 11:58 AM

OH WOW, I LEAVE THIS PLACE FOR FIVE MINUTES...

Well, since a few people have mistaken this thread about homosexuality and roleplaying for a billable-hour therapy session, I'll continue the trend. There is something I have been wanting to get off my hairy chest for some time now.

I AM PHYSICALLY ATTRACTED TO PICTURES OF ANTHROPOMORPHIC MALE ANIMALS WITH LARGE PENISES!

Oh my Goddess, you have no idea how long that has been plaguing me. I though it was something to be ashamed of, but thanks to the therapeutic bird bath of the forums, I can now walk tall.

Lube and rubbers,

It's like Goggles never left...

#50 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:07 PM

Come on, Tony the Tiger is freaking HOT! He has that bodybuilder physique that I like. Big hands...

Posted Image

I've wanted to do him for a VERY long time!

#51 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:34 AM

PISS OFF
Posted Image

#52 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 24 October 2011 - 04:09 PM

I can't say it was your best post but you could have just edited it. :D

#53 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 25 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

I can't say it was your best post but you could have just edited it. :D

Well Keener, it was a crap shoot. I took a gamble and disappointed you. I'll try harder next time. AND I DO MEAN HARDER! :wink:

#54 LordSephleon

LordSephleon

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 10 November 2011 - 06:33 PM

My two copper pieces...

[quote]Are Errand and I the only fabulous ones on these forums?[/quote]

I am considered bisexual, but I have a preference to more effeminate qualities, though more along the lines of Venus de Milo (approximately; personality and compatibility modifies it further) and less along the lines of a skinny model-type. I also tend to like "bishonen-types" and drag queens.

In truth, I was raised by a mother whose circles of friends were made up of 99% gay men (because women are *******, as she put it). I acquired an extremely open mind and, after some soul-searching, realized that what one has beneath his or her clothes doesn't matter so much as there is still an attraction.

[quote]Is roleplaying an inviting arena for homosexuals?[/quote]

I can't see why not. It's an area of common ground that can be shared happily despite individual preferences. One of the aforementioned "mom's friends" actually gave me mint-condition AD&D books because he didn't really have anyone to play with anymore, but he was always really into roleplaying. The trick is keeping out the closed-minded and the prejudiced who definitely could ruin the fun...[/quote]

[quote]Have you ever played a character that has a different sexual orientation than yourself?[/quote]

Well, though I'm known to play female characters more often than male characters - I am male IRL, in case it wasn't clear - I played two gay male characters. Once, I played an old World of Darkness game where I was a somewhat famous drag queen Redeemer (from Hunter: The Reckoning) who was in a relationship with a Werebear - who was played by a good friend of mine. It was absolutely fantastic, especially when one of the other PCs came in thinking that my character was "the most beautiful woman on stage" and voiced that to the currently-in-human-form werebear boyfriend - a stranger at the bar. And yes, we kept my character's "secret" hidden from the other players out-of-character since I tended to play female characters more often than male ones anyway. A really fun, but too-short game.

The second time was a little weirder and probably a bit too controversial for the forums as it involved a dark taboo secret and such.

Anyway, I guess that's it. Keep up the great awesome, Gilbert! I'm loving what I'm hearing. :)

...by the way, can I have change for the two copper if it's not all used? Bad economy and all :)

#55 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 08:21 AM

I acquired an extremely open mind and, after some soul-searching, realized that what one has beneath his or her clothes doesn't matter so much as there is still an attraction.

That is a very healthy attitude towards life and very much appreciated in this particular thread! Actually, your entire response is professional and on topic. Thank you for that.

The trick is keeping out the closed-minded and the prejudiced who definitely could ruin the fun...

Yeah, I am very luck to be playing with Hal and Lindsay. I doubt there is anyone else that I would feel comfortable gaming with. The pug on the other hand...

The second time was a little weirder and probably a bit too controversial for the forums as it involved a dark taboo secret and such.

Umm, have you read the other posts here in this thread? I think we're Hell and gone from keeping dark and taboo secrets. But, when in doubt, it's probably best to keep it under wraps.

Anyway, I guess that's it. Keep up the great awesome, Gilbert! I'm loving what I'm hearing. :)

Awww, and it loves you too, but in a totally platonic way. :wink:

...by the way, can I have change for the two copper if it's not all used?

No.

#56 LordSephleon

LordSephleon

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:00 PM

That is a very healthy attitude towards life and very much appreciated in this particular thread! Actually, your entire response is professional and on topic. Thank you for that.

You make me sound like a college professor. Nevermind that I'm actually trying to finish school so I can teach English (Writing and Literature) and Music Theory.

Yeah, I am very luck to be playing with Hal and Lindsay. I doubt there is anyone else that I would feel comfortable gaming with. The pug on the other hand...

You are lucky! In fact, I envy you. You had a great introduction into roleplaying through them, though I will say that if you can get the right people, a larger group can be more piles of awesome thrown in.

And in the pug's defense, all she's ever done to you is be loving and cute and adorable... and occasionally loud and barky. We all know deep down you have a soft spot for that wuvable pup.
Of course, I base this defense on what we hear on the audio. For all I know, Ruby may have stuffed one of her bones in your bag or something. :D

Umm, have you read the other posts here in this thread? I think we're Hell and gone from keeping dark and taboo secrets. But, when in doubt, it's probably best to keep it under wraps.

Yeah, I know. The character I made was created and fleshed out while I was going through a rather dark state of mind, so there was lots of tragedy and taboo-ness and such going on in that story. As a point of clarity, I'm a huge horror buff with a particular love for cosmic horror, psychological horror, derangement, and things that polite society will cringe to hear of. Coupled with my extremely morbid sense of humor, I prefer to err on the side of caution.

Awww, and it loves you too, but in a totally platonic way.

The Great Old Ones love us all... didn't Hal tell you that? :D

Oh, and if you ever need help with playing spellcasters, all you need do is ask for help. I have loved playing wizards since I started gaming 16 years ago, although my first Pathfinder character was a Feyblood Sorcerer with REALLY powerful compulsion magic (think of spells like Sleep, Hideous Laughter, Deep Slumber, and Confusion). I did manage to "dumbify" an evil cleric by hitting him with three uses of the Touch of Idiocy spell. He got revenge a few sessions later by hitting me - and ONLY me - with Flamestrike. I lived with 2 Hit Points left.

Okay... enough ranting. I need a "Shut the Hell Up!" button for myself sometimes...

#57 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:53 PM

You make me sound like a college professor. Nevermind that I'm actually trying to finish school so I can teach English (Writing and Literature) and Music Theory.

Interesting combo. There are a few of us (i.e. ME) that play with the rules of grammar and diction on the forums; however, Pencil-Monkey tries to keep me in check. I try to keep him in a cage. :wink:

#58 LordSephleon

LordSephleon

Toad

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationNew York, NY

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:25 PM

Ooo! Cages! Can I play too?

And just how successful have you been at keeping Mr. Monkey in a cage?

Yeah, one can't really do much with a single degree anymore these days. Besides, I don't think I've ever known an English teacher to teach Music, or vice versa, though if you get right down to the bare bones, both are theoretically similar. One can create so much using either - and both - subjects.

My actual goal, though, is to try and help draw out a stronger appreciation of classics in younger generations and to maybe conduct some music with groups of students. While I tend toward A Cappella and choral-style music (because the human voice is absolutely beautiful), I do want to eventually try my hand with classic instruments, preferably keyboards (including the harpsichord), strings (from guitar to harp to violin and beyond) and woodwinds.

That reminds me.... I'm still catching up in Carrion Crown (almost done with Episode 7), but you and Lindsay should sing more often. Well, whenever Hal is quickly reading up or off to "tinkle" or something. You guys don't give yourselves enough credit, and you're both especially quick to come up with hilarious lyrics pertaining to whatever insanity Hal is throwing your way.

Sorry Hal. :)

#59 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 04:30 AM

And just how successful have you been at keeping Mr. Monkey in a cage?

I'm used to cages. I just wish he'd keep that muzzle and choke collar away from me - or at least rinse it off first... 8O

That reminds me.... I'm still catching up in Carrion Crown (almost done with Episode 7), but you and Lindsay should sing more often. Well, whenever Hal is quickly reading up or off to "tinkle" or something. You guys don't give yourselves enough credit, and you're both especially quick to come up with hilarious lyrics pertaining to whatever insanity Hal is throwing your way.

"Heee's going to get leprosyyyyy!" :)

#60 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 14 November 2011 - 08:11 AM

I'm used to cages. I just wish he'd keep that muzzle and choke collar away from me - or at least rinse it off first... 8O

I always rinse them. Why is it my fault that you don't like the refreshing sent of pine?

"Heee's going to get leprosyyyyy!" :)

Once more, with feeeeeeeling!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge