• Create Account
Photo

OUT!

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Poll: Your thoughts... (10 member(s) have cast votes)

Your thoughts...

1. Watching a male Halfling do push-ups turns me on like a freaking light switch (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

2. I start to feel funny when I look at Pencil-Monkey's drawings of Mor'kil. (2 votes [20.00%])

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. What happens at GenCon, stays at GenCon! (4 votes [40.00%])

Percentage of vote: 40.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:25 PM

OK, so very few of you don't know that I'm a flaming homo; well, not that flaming, but I digress...
Recently Errand has rejoined the forums and I'd like to think that we have kind of hit it off as gay sisters. Welcome back Errand! (even though we never chatted before last week, something tells me that you are very much a beloved teddy bear here on the forums and between the two of us, we are going to make SO many people blush!)

So, my questions are:

Are Errand and I the only fabulous ones on these forums?

Is roleplaying an inviting arena for homosexuals?

Have you ever played a character that has a different sexual orientation than yourself?

Gilbert :wink:

#2 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:17 AM

I am un-fabulous, and haven't (so far as I know) played with any fabulous individuals, so I'm not sure how valuable my perspective on how inviting RPGs are for homosexuals is.

I would tend to think that the stereotype of the unwashed, socially awkward, decidedly un-cosmopolitan roleplayer would probably be unappealing. I imagine there's probably some heterosexual bias in most published settings, though Paizo does try to be good about things like that. But more than anything else I think you do get a somewhat larger share of unapologetic homophobes (and sexists and racists) in the RPG community than you would generally, if only just because it's so white male dominated.

I've been playing Darren the gay dwarven fighter for about 10 years in the campaign I play with my brothers and sisters during holiday get togethers. He was recently seduced by a succubus in the form of a muscular and hairy
young dwarven fellow, and now has an illegitimate cambion that I'm sure will come back to haunt him. :)

He's also been immortalized as one of Hal's NPCs (albeit with the camp knob turned up to 11) in session 8 of Hal's Rolemaster campaign.

#3 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 October 2011 - 04:17 AM

I used to work at "Camp" Camp. Does that still allow me honorary status? :D

#4 Blaggard

Blaggard

Inky Bloater

• Patrons
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, U.K

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:55 AM

One of my old group was/ is gay (haven't seen him in years) but wasn't out when we first played together. He actually came out during a session in which gay characters were being discussed and was so bolstered by the complete lack of a negative reaction (the general response was a mildy disinterested "really?" then everyone carried on with what they were doing) that he felt able to tell his parents sometime after. The only fabulous side to him I ever saw was his flamboyant mage, the superbly named Ferguson Videostar. :)

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 09 October 2011 - 01:07 PM

...the superbly named Ferguson Videostar. :)

Brilliant! "Dyson Airblade" is another bit of product-to-name genius I've seen recently.

#6 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:41 PM

Cant join in (or can i ) :wink: Just wanted to add..

My lovely little sister Feona, recently came out and I am so so happy for her, and that she lives in a time/place where she is able to fall in love with whomever she pleases!

Feona also met with Gilbert one time, and I did talk with her about being gay etc, and I think Gilbert helped in a lot of ways, especially chatting with me about talking with my Mum etc..

Errand, the story of you living as father/son with your partner breaks my heart a little..

#7 Thing

Thing

a Bad Man

• Administrators
  • 12,601 posts
  • LocationNear Seattle, WA, USA

Posted 09 October 2011 - 09:29 PM

Hmmm lets see. I am decidedly un-fabulous, but I have gamed in groups of mixed orientation. I have played characters in games that have been straight, gay, bi and omnisexual, although in a lot of the games it never comes up.

I don't think roleplaying by itself is inviting or not inviting to homesexuals, I think that really is a feature of the people around the table. A few of the game settings/worlds I have played in have had notable characters that where not straight, but they where notable in that they stood out.

Out of the 3 friends that have recently asked me to teach them how to play D&D, 1 is gay, 1 is straight, and 1 is convinced that her perfect partner would be a trans-man, although I secretly think that is just to keep them in the hard to find categories.

#8 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

...He actually came out during a session in which gay characters were being discussed and was so bolstered by the complete lack of a negative reaction (the general response was a mildy disinterested "really?" then everyone carried on with what they were doing) that he felt able to tell his parents sometime after.

Coming out is never a fun task. It speaks volumes to think that he felt comfortable enough to admit that to you all. I heard a quote that I will paraphrase: Sometimes the fist person you come out to is your mom, your best friend, your teddy bear or, in this case, the Paladin, Wizard and Rogue Thief you're storming a dungeon with.

G :D

#9 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:42 AM

I don't think roleplaying by itself is inviting or not inviting to homosexuals, I think that really is a feature of the people around the table.

I concur. I don't think that I would feel comfortable being as campy as I am and rolling dice around total strangers. Like my favorite personal lubricant, Lindsay and Hal have made the insertion of RPG's deep inside me, very easy.

Out of the 3 friends that have recently asked me to teach them how to play D&D, 1 is gay, 1 is straight, and 1 is convinced that her perfect partner would be a trans-man, although I secretly think that is just to keep them in the hard to find categories.

Wait. They volunteered to learn to play D&D? :wink:

#10 errand

errand

Errand

• Patrons
  • 824 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:15 AM

Errand, the story of you living as father/son with your partner breaks my heart a little..

Please don't let it. As liberal as my country is, in some areas things are better left unsaid. My husband is rather paternal so the whole father son thing is not a stretch of my roleplaying abilities. It actually amused us when going to dinner with a friend that she said "you guys even walk the same" It just proves that people will see what they want to.

#11 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:05 PM

It actually amused us when going to dinner with a friend that she said "you guys even walk the same" It just proves that people will see what they want to.

How the Hell do you two walk? LOL
I picture something from Monty Python...

#12 errand

errand

Errand

• Patrons
  • 824 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:04 AM

Duno, just the same

#13 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 03:47 AM

It actually amused us when going to dinner with a friend that she said "you guys even walk the same" It just proves that people will see what they want to.

Posted Image

#14 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

lumberjack commandos...

Oh wow, I had a dream last night, with that exact same image. Only, in my dream, the tank was painted like hippie tie-dye and the commandos were naked. I was lying on a bed of rose petals covered in honey and the commandos started doing those Russian-dancing-leg-kick-things as the London philharmonic orchestra played the theme to Indiana Jones and the Raiders of the Lost arc on xylophones...

GET OUT OF MY HEAD YOU DANISH MONKEY!

G :wink:

#15 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:18 AM

8O

TMI Gilbert, TMI!

Back on topic and answering questions.

Answer the first: I myself am not a homosexual

Responce b: I can't say that I've knowing ran a game that included someone who was gay.

3: I have played characters that were gay. The one that got the most play was a human beguiler (a mage with some rogue tricks that specialized in illusion and enchantment magic) named Lucius. It was something that sorta developed out of a comment I made complimenting a male fey's eyes, and I decided to keep it up from there. Ended up with a drow boytoy, but then that character died.

Then there was a character concept that I haven't gotten to play. Captain Scarlet. Again, it started as joke, a play on the old batman comics that were completely innocent back in the day, but looking at them now, you wonder what sorta relationship batman had with robin. Anyway, putting aside that every word he said was gonna be a double entedre, since the setting for the game he was designed for was right after world war II, I was actually sorta interested to see how he would've played out, not having a secret life for a regular identity, but having one for his sexual preference basically. Now i didnt get too far into research to see whqt the actual social climate of the time was for homosexuals, but at the very least i was thinling of that one watchman superheroine who was basically scandalised for being a lesbian.

Aside from that, i got a shadowrun character, J.J., who has a identity that he acts flaming for (A gay wedding planner gets more gigs), but is actually straight, all of my other characters are straight or it has never been much of issue (I also currently have a goblin rogue that doesn't really have romantic or sexual goals on hid to do list. Too many things to set on fire.)

#16 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:41 AM

TMI Gilbert, TMI!

I KNOW! Tie-dye tanks are VERY gratuitous. Also, I didn't say that I was naked and covered in honey... naughty boy. :wink:

I myself am not a homosexual

I think my heart just broke a little bit... :(
*tears up plane ticket to Yorkton; assumes fetal position*

G :wink:

#17 errand

errand

Errand

• Patrons
  • 824 posts
  • LocationChilliwack, BC

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:00 PM

Posted Image

Yes, we pretty much are like that on play night :D

#18 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 12:58 PM

Yes, we pretty much are like that on play night :D

Makes me wonder what you guys look like when it's not play night...

#19 StirringSagacity

StirringSagacity

Lucid Patron

• Patrons
  • 154 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:16 AM

I don't think I'm fabulous but I'm pretty gay. If pretty gay is completely gay.

#20 MorkilRocks

MorkilRocks

Ghoul

• Members
  • 873 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:13 AM

I don't think I'm fabulous but I'm pretty gay. If pretty gay is completely gay.

WOO HOO! I had no idea you were of the pink variety Simon. I'm all tingly now. :wink:
Maybe one day when I am not swimming in work, all of the knobjockeys on the forums should get together and Skype or Facetime. I'm sure we can swap recipes or talk about jock straps. IT'LL BE FUN!

If it pleases and sparkles,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge