• Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 15 June 2011 - 06:54 PM

As it is Wharts Wednesday...

Backswords and Buckers Session 01

Filesize: 36MB

Backswords & Bucklers session 01: "Feeling a little ruff"
Posted Image
After a few weeks off the Whartson Hall crew return with a short session of this Elizabethan fantasy RPG published by Tied To A Kite. Follow the link to their website where you can download a free copy of the game in PDF form.
Squeezed in between the Tudor and the Stuart ages was that glorious flowering of Wonder and Englishness that was the Elizabethan era, when Britannia ruled the waves and all free men marvelled that they had the fortune to live in this scepter'd isle, this other Eden, demi paradise... when absolutely nobody was engaging in shady espionage and getting stabbed in the eye in a Deptford house, when nobody was dying in the gutter of a thousand disfiguring diseases, when nobody was prepared to kill a man for a farthing; and certainly when no groups of desperate ne're-do-wells would take any job, however dubious, no questions asked. This is a game about those things that Never Ever Happened. Time to hit the streets and get down with the hose, on the doublet!
The Players:
Jon: The GM
The Lovely Emma: Old Jessie, a Wise Woman
Sara: Alex the Bastard, a Fighting Man (and bastard)
John (Weasel): Henry Ransom, a Cunning Man
Martin: Jack Wick, a Scoundrel
Ross: Terry "Tightfist" Seabeast, a Fighting Man

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:28 PM

Huzzah for Whartson Hall! :) Oooh, and an Elizabethan Seabeast. This should be fun. :twisted:

Thank you Hal and the Whartsies. Downloading...now!

#3 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 16 June 2011 - 12:34 AM

Yay! Welcome back guys! My evening plans are taking on a more definite shape. :)

#4 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:13 AM

Oh no! The Whartsons are moving inexorably backward in time! First they explored Victorian England, now Elizabethan - come September, they'll be deep in the Anglo-Saxon era, and the time dilation delays in getting the audio back will be humongous! :O

#5 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:42 AM

If the Wharties manage to get through an Elizabethan romp without mention of an overly endowed codpiece, I'll eat my well-trimmed feathered hat. :D
Thanks, Hal, and the lovely folks at the Hall.

#6 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 16 June 2011 - 05:50 AM

If the Wharties manage to get through an Elizabethan romp without mention of an overly endowed codpiece, I'll eat my well-trimmed feathered hat. :D

A well-trimmed feathered hat, you say? It wouldn't happen to have strange and exotic plumage from foreign lands, would it? Like, say, oh I don't know, a Brazilian? ...Parrot, that is. ;)

#7 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 16 June 2011 - 06:53 AM

Damn how did this skip the patron area thank you Hal and WHG you are all good good people. :D

#8 philbass

philbass

philmycrackin

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:28 AM

That was good - up there with Duck Trooper and Chill sessions in giving a 'feel good' factor of a group of friends just having fun.

The setting and British toilet humour reminded me of some gaming sessions from my early 'teens when we tried to figure out the Maelstrom RPG. Might see if I can find my copy and play the solo adventure from the book. Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing WHG take on Maelstrom - although Weasel would have too much enjoyment with the open-ended magic rules!

Thank you,

Philbass

Gratuitous memory post...I think I bought my copy from a Puffin Book Club meeting held in the Commonwealth Institute on Kensington High Street in London. Sadly the Institute and my Puffin Club badge are long gone. Sorry, a jumpers for goalposts moment.

#9 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 June 2011 - 10:59 AM

Damn how did this skip the patron area...

Because of the gap since our last recording I thought we'd just get this one out into the public arena directly :-D

Actually, I wouldn't mind hearing WHG take on Maelstrom - although Weasel would have too much enjoyment with the open-ended magic rules!

Ah, Maelstrom. Sold my copy many, many years ago when I moved to America (I got better...) but it's now back in print! They've also released a companion for it. Saw copies at the UK Games Expo and they brought a nostalgic smile to my face. Amazing to think that the author was only sixteen.

#10 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 June 2011 - 11:04 AM

The setting and British toilet humour reminded me of some gaming sessions from my early 'teens...

As you can see, we've really come a long way :oops:

#11 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 16 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

Damn how did this skip the patron area...

Because of the gap since our last recording I thought we'd just get this one out into the public arena directly :-D

Screw the public... well maybe not thank you BGB ;) I am looking forward to more.

#12 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 08:57 AM

"I have a two-handed battleaxe - I'll call her Betty!"

"Teddy and Betty? Lovely."

Nice to hear lordof1 from the Yog-Sothoth.com forums getting mentioned:

"Jack Lemming? That sounds like something unpleasant Nick has to do as a veterinarian..."

#13 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 17 June 2011 - 04:40 PM

Once again a hearty thank you to the entire Whartson crew. The part where BJB is vainly trying to continue his exposition while Weasel, Mrs Weasel and The Lovely Emma are completely broken was a highlight.

Eagerly anticipating the next session.

#14 Blaggard

Blaggard

Inky Bloater

• Patrons
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSurrey, U.K

Posted 18 June 2011 - 04:51 PM

"Papal rats" nearly made me snarf my tea! Mr pencil-monkey should have a field day with some of the imagery conjured by this installment (if he has enough brown crayons). :D

#15 MrTim

MrTim

Toad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationAlbuquerque, NM, USA

Posted 20 June 2011 - 02:12 AM

Pity they didn't become a bunch of Elizabethan game designers! Think of the possibilities: Mike Pondsmith the cunning man! Monte Cook the fighting man! Kevin Siembieda the scoundrel!

(And just for the record, Rebecca Borgstrom is going by Jenna K. Moran these days; she just put out a new edition of Nobilis in PDF and e-book a couple months ago, although the hardcopy is sadly slow in arriving.)

#16 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 20 June 2011 - 05:53 AM

Martin: So, Jon, what do I need to roll to see if I know him?
BJB: Well, in your case: Hearing, coz you're upstairs! *THUMP* *THUMP* "Tell him to speak up!"

The Lovely Emma: How do I make a potion?
BJB: Well, first you'll need to get your hands on some leaves; dead simple where you're from, not so easy in the city.
The Lovely Emma: Don't I have a stash?
BJB: What, of all the leaves you might potentially need?
The Lovely Emma: Just the shitting ones.

"Papal rats" nearly made me snarf my tea!

BJB: This is like The Producers! You'll end up making it the most popular show this town has ever seen!
The Lovely Emma: I just realized: If the actors are shitting themselves on stage, the audience is gonna come back each night and go: "Are they gonna do the shitting again?"

:D

Also, the scene where Sara's character is trying to convince the others of all the fabulous treasures that might be in the puzzle box, and Martin and Ross are going "Phnar hur hur!" - for some reason, it reminds me of the moment in the movie Stripes where Judge Reinhold tries to get Harold Ramis to smuggle drugs for him... No good can come of this, I tell you. ;)

#17 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

I had to smile as most of the group totally lost it after the true horror of the turnips plan became apparent... :)

Thanks all!

#18 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 04 July 2011 - 10:57 PM

Oh, the turnips. I couldn't get to sleep the night this came out, I was laughing so hard. And the sequel? Even better. :D

Thanks again, Hal and the Whartsies. It was quite short, but it's now one of my favorites. :D

#19 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:55 AM

Thank you all. It's a nice, unpretentious little game, worth downloading to try. It may be resolutely "old school" and that will certainly not appeal to everyone, but sometimes the random roll of the dice produce absolutely beautiful moments in the game... Poor, poor Sara :twisted:

#20 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 05 July 2011 - 10:56 AM

I had to smile as most of the group totally lost it after the true horror of the turnips plan became apparent... :)

If you think that's bad just wait until Victoriana comes out and you can hear us crumble before the comedy genius of Martin's "master of disguise" :lol:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge