• Create Account
DriveThruRPG.com
Photo

Alien0 Mini Mega Release (Session 01 - 03)

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 17 May 2011 - 03:30 PM

A new group with 3 new community audios for you guys to listen to and talk about and such... you and so lucky... Welcome GentClub...

Alien0 Session 01

Filesize: 18MB

A ten-session ‘Alien 0′ campaign, written by Jules, as played by GentClub. Set some 20 years before the events of the 1979 film directed by Ridley Scott, our characters encounter mystery and cosmic horror via a combination of the Aliens RPG and the Traveller RPG systems

Alien0 Session 02

Filesize: 20MB

Alien0 Session 03

Filesize: 18MB

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:35 AM

I was just about to listen to these, and realized...I've never seen Alien (I know, I know). Should I rent that first and then listen, or vice versa?

#3 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 23 May 2011 - 12:45 AM

I was just about to listen to these, and realized...I've never seen Alien (I know, I know). Should I rent that first and then listen, or vice versa?

I kinda have the same dilemma.

#4 undecided44

undecided44

Kobold

• Members
  • 73 posts
  • LocationFairfax, VA

Posted 23 May 2011 - 06:56 AM

I kinda have the same dilemma.

I've seen bits and pieces of the first movie and the whole of a number of the others in the series. After listening to the first of the GentClub audios, you get about as much of the world as you need from the explanation delivered by the GM.

Humanity has moved out to colonize space, but has yielded cultural control to massive corporations that are more or less benevolent to the average hard working colonist. Movement across known space is dangerous, expensive and slow. Ships are put on minimum energy output with crews in stasis while on long legs of the trip. "Fully" functional synthetic organisms are present on company ships as assistants to the crew, and as tools of the shipboard computer if needed. That's the most important bits.

Knowing how the first movie ends would probably give some insight about why the GentClub players are so anxious to ask “what’s the twist?” during their briefing; but it suffices to say that the corporations are known to give specific mission requirements to specific crew members without informing the others as to their degree of responsibility, or expendability. It also explains why not all of the crew was awakened from an in game standpoint, rather than just a meta-gaming standpoint.

Aside from my wall of text, thanks to the new group of players. The first audio was quite intersting to listen to, though I do wonder where it was recorded: everytime I tried to imagine the scene, I ended up with a smoky backroom with the gaming table on one side, and a pool table on the other. Would any members of the group care to give us a description?

#5 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 May 2011 - 05:34 AM

A quick note from a GentClubber; thanks for the comments and questions (and for listening to our lo-fi recording efforts).

First off, I'd strongly support seeing 'Alien' before listening to Alien0: the film is a cinematic landmark, and will establish the correct mood far more than our noisy chatting. Also, our podcast contains many spoilers for the film, as it assumes you've seen it, so please do.

Thanks also for the (mostly-accurate!) summary, undecided44: re the location of the game, it is actually secret (but your description is not altogether inaccurate).

If there are unanswered questions as the podcasts proceed, feel free to post them here, and I'll try to answer them.

Please see my adjacent thread for images, player handouts etc.

Jules

#6 PrivateNewbie

PrivateNewbie

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 30 August 2011 - 11:28 PM

When will the next session be released?

#7 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 11:03 AM

Hi PrivateNewbie,

Thanks for your query.

I've actually already uploaded all ten episodes to RPGMP3, and they will presumably become part of the community archive and iTunes when appropriate.

Perhaps send a message to Hal?

Thanks,
J

#8 PrivateNewbie

PrivateNewbie

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:05 PM

They are all complete? Excellent news indeed!

Message I shall!

#9 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 02 November 2011 - 02:27 AM

C'mon Hal!

We know you want to release those other, long-awaited episodes!

It's not like they earn interest if they aren't in circulation or anything, right?

Information wants to be free, and all that sort of thing?

We don't have to stage an 'Occupy Hal!' initiative or anything, do we?

We don't want to be that bunch of unwashed RPG'ers camped on your lawn, do we?

And you don't want to be that old fart that comes out and calls (oops; Texas) hollers "Git owf mah lawn, ingrates!", do you? Probably with a shotgun loaded with d4's and knitting kneedles?

Do the right thing and follow through on the reasonable expectations of reasonable people!

You can do it, Hal!

We believe in you!

#10 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 02:25 AM

Oh look, a random Alien-related Halloween image to inadequately fill the awkward silence!

http://imgur.com/gallery/LagRj

#11 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:45 AM

C'mon Hal!

We know you want to release those other, long-awaited episodes!

It's not like they earn interest if they aren't in circulation or anything, right?

Information wants to be free, and all that sort of thing?

We don't have to stage an 'Occupy Hal!' initiative or anything, do we?

We don't want to be that bunch of unwashed RPG'ers camped on your lawn, do we?

And you don't want to be that old fart that comes out and calls (oops; Texas) hollers "Git owf mah lawn, ingrates!", do you? Probably with a shotgun loaded with d4's and knitting kneedles?

Do the right thing and follow through on the reasonable expectations of reasonable people!

You can do it, Hal!

We believe in you!

Quit bumping the post :)

I'll get to it. I have been busy these past few weeks with family and my parents moving house.

I need to copy the files from Patrons and then get them out to Community...

Cheers
Hal

#12 PrivateNewbie

PrivateNewbie

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 01:29 AM

"shotgun loaded with d4's", lawl.

I like to keep this handy, for close encounters.

Posted Image[/img]

#13 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 28 November 2011 - 03:04 PM

Hey, where's the 'Like' button?

#14 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts

Posted 24 December 2011 - 06:47 AM

C'mon Hal, how about another episode or three for Christmas 2011?

#15 PrivateNewbie

PrivateNewbie

Toad

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 27 December 2011 - 03:07 PM

^ Quite.

#16 Jules

Jules

Goblin

• Members
  • 212 posts