2 replies to this topic

#1 gream

gream

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 26 April 2011 - 10:12 PM

I was wondering if any of the groups that use Skype for voice chat have ever tried Mumble.
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
It takes about 5 minutes to setup for most use, and it has fewer problem's than Skype with equal or better quality. Also it would have lower latency than Skype with less bandwidth used up,

I suggest Mumble for more than 2-3 people.

I have a server up all the time if you wanted to use it.
You can PM me for the server info.

#2 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 30 April 2011 - 04:14 PM

I was wondering if any of the groups that use Skype for voice chat have ever tried Mumble.
http://mumble.sourceforge.net/
It takes about 5 minutes to setup for most use, and it has fewer problem's than Skype with equal or better quality. Also it would have lower latency than Skype with less bandwidth used up,

I suggest Mumble for more than 2-3 people.

I have a server up all the time if you wanted to use it.
You can PM me for the server info.

While I haven't used Mumble a lot, I have used it a bit and have not noticed any of the audio lag or degradation you can sometimes get with Skype even when chat rooms have had many people in them. Seems like it would be a good program to use for RPG purposes.

#3 gream

gream

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts
  • LocationMesa, AZ

Posted 30 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

My exact reason for suggesting it. On the recent Pantsless games i have heard many Skype problem's. It sometimes sounds like there voices are being passed through a robot filter, and there seems to be a lag of 6 seconds or more.

The typical lag for mumble is < 1 second, depending on distance. and the normal quality is at least similar to Skype with just 2 people.

My server can handle about 12 people using continuous activity at 72 kbit/s (12 * 12 * 72), or about 30 people with 3-5 people talking (30 * 5 * 72). The server is always on and i would not mind letting people us it so that everyone can have a better listening and playing experience.

Even if i don't hear it for a month or two. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge