#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 06 April 2011 - 07:52 PM

More Pathfinder and light entertainment...

RPGLED Pathfinder Session 11

Filesize: 107MB

Despite the DM's best efforts to move the plot along, the players insist on getting down and dirty with the crafting rules and doing some casual shopping. They also have several awkward interactions with a series of prickly NPC's.

Follow along at http://www.obsidianp.../paths-of-gaeda

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 03 May 2011 - 10:21 AM

Was something changed with the alchemist class or brew potion? in pathfinder? I didn't think spells with range personal could be used in potions.

Potions of expeditious retreat, true strike, and comprehend language are all range personal.

Though expeditious retreat and true strike are both awesome spells for a multiclasser.

#3 wolfsnap

wolfsnap

Stirge

• Members
  • 457 posts
  • Locationwww.diredestiny.com

Posted 08 May 2011 - 07:33 PM

We totally messed up the potion rules in that episode - in fact, I'm pretty sure we still haven't gotten them right. :P

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 08 May 2011 - 09:00 PM

To be fair, you figured it out towards the end. But, like the grapple rules, it sounds like you revisit them often...

Really enjoying it. Thanks!

#5 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 09 May 2011 - 08:15 AM

Wait - spells of range personal can't be made into potions?

I know that the spell has to target one or more creatures to be made into a potion, but a spell that has range personal still targets a creature - namely the caster.

Is this another errata that I missed the memo on?

#6 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 09 May 2011 - 09:05 AM

In pathfinder at least they are explicit about it...

In D&D 3.5, it's not in the feat description, or the potion description in the DMG...It's under the 'Creating Magic Items section.

http://www.d20srd.or... ... cItems.htm

Creating Potions
The creator of a potion needs a level working surface and at least a few containers in which to mix liquids, as well as a source of heat to boil the brew. In addition, he needs ingredients. The costs for materials and ingredients are subsumed in the cost for brewing the potion—25 gp × the level of the spell × the level of the caster.

All ingredients and materials used to brew a potion must be fresh and unused. The character must pay the full cost for brewing each potion. (Economies of scale do not apply.)

The imbiber of the potion is both the caster and the target. Spells with a range of personal cannot be made into potions. [emphasis mine]

The creator must have prepared the spell to be placed in the potion (or must know the spell, in the case of a sorcerer or bard) and must provide any material component or focus the spell requires.

If casting the spell would reduce the caster’s XP total, he pays the XP cost upon beginning the brew in addition to the XP cost for making the potion itself. Material components are consumed when he begins working, but a focus is not. (A focus used in brewing a potion can be reused.) The act of brewing triggers the prepared spell, making it unavailable for casting until the character has rested and regained spells. (That is, that spell slot is expended from his currently prepared spells, just as if it had been cast.) Brewing a potion requires one day.

Item Creation Feat Required
Brew Potion.

#7 randomsample

randomsample

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 01 June 2011 - 11:34 PM

I've been really enjoying these episodes, and I particularly liked the setting of this one. I'm a really newbie GM (and player), and it's really helpful to hear a group of motivated players have interesting adventures. The political tensions are a very cool touch, and it's interesting how the players have managed to hear and see both sides by taking a roundabout route.

Also the Gem is one cool magical mystery item.

#8 wolfsnap

wolfsnap

Stirge

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 02 June 2011 - 07:23 AM

Thanks! Things will only get more complicated politically from this episode onwards. :P There's a new episode in the hopper that hasn't been uploaded yet - I'm hoping Hal will get to it soon.

#9 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 02:48 PM

Just checking to make sure I am going to ask the right person this question: Wolfsnap, are you the guy who wrote Tomb of Hagemoth? If so , does that also mean that you are the DM running the game where the team just got beat up badly by a Troll that took their pony down twice and they have a girl travelling with them named Sarah Jane, and Peter is the teenage wizard who's being held captive 'cause he hates the team ?
If you are I have a question to ask you, but I will wait for your reply...Unless you have no reply at all.....

#10 wolfsnap

wolfsnap

Stirge

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

That would be me on all counts! I'd be more than happy to answer any questions.

Just checking to make sure I am going to ask the right person this question: Wolfsnap, are you the guy who wrote Tomb of Hagemoth? If so , does that also mean that you are the DM running the game where the team just got beat up badly by a Troll that took their pony down twice and they have a girl travelling with them named Sarah Jane, and Peter is the teenage wizard who's being held captive 'cause he hates the team ?
If you are I have a question to ask you, but I will wait for your reply...Unless you have no reply at all.....

#11 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:18 AM

It seems like every episode I hear a Genesis reference... When you finally revealed the name of the girl to be Sarah Jane I was convinced. I remember once you had mentioned that a character was " Entangled". Without having kept a list I am in a somewhat of an unprepared position to list the others, but ..... I was just wondering.
Reason is, I am a huge Genesis fan, and I am either crazy and just hearing things, or you are a fan as well.
Just wondering....

#12 wolfsnap

wolfsnap

Stirge

• Members
  • 457 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 06:50 AM

It seems like every episode I hear a Genesis reference... When you finally revealed the name of the girl to be Sarah Jane I was convinced. I remember once you had mentioned that a character was " Entangled". Without having kept a list I am in a somewhat of an unprepared position to list the others, but ..... I was just wondering.
Reason is, I am a huge Genesis fan, and I am either crazy and just hearing things, or you are a fan as well.
Just wondering....

Heh - I never actually thought about that. I'm not a hge fan, but I do like me some Genesis. Thus far, I haven't included any intentional references - chalk it up to coincidence. However, any references you hear to 70's Prog Rock group Yes (of which I am a huge fan) are probably meant to be there.

When I started this campaign, I didn't have a lot of time to flesh it out ( I still don't) so I was clear with teh group that I'm mostly making this up as I go, and I am shamelessly stealing names, plots, and even entire dungeons from other sources.

#13 Bloodguard

Bloodguard

Goblin

• Members
  • 109 posts

Posted 05 June 2011 - 11:28 AM

Ok ! Just thought I'd ask.
Did I hear them mention the Gates of Delirium once?
I love it no matter what prog rock band you like. Perhaps they could come across the Court of the Crimson King someday........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge