#1 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 08 February 2011 - 05:24 PM

Has anyone else been playing Pandemic? I got it for my birthday in November and, eight (!) attempts later have finally beaten the evil diseases and saved mankind with my gaming buddies.

Did anyone else find it tantalisingly difficult or were we just inept scientists? We came within one turn of winning on most attempts...

Additionally - I've just watched Avatar for the first time and it made me feel angry at James Cameron. Is this normal? :?

#2 Fin

Fin

Stirge

• Members
  • 311 posts

Posted 09 February 2011 - 03:42 AM

Yes, Kind Of and Yes.

Fin :twisted:

PS The Expansion (On The Brink) is also good, although I have had it for nearly a year and still haven't played the bioterrorist variant. Buy it Here

#3 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 09 February 2011 - 07:09 AM

Do you still get to curse Madagascar with all its inhabitants into the 7th circle of Hell? :twisted:

#4 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 09 February 2011 - 12:31 PM

Pandemic is good, the expansion is boss, and what difficulty were you playing with?

#5 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 14 February 2011 - 09:30 AM

I haven't played On the Brink yet Fin but I do intend to visit Innsmouth House for some disease ridden shopping soon but since I was playing on the easiest setting I'm not sure we're up to it! The bioterrorist concept sounds like it just gives new orders of magnitude to the difficulty of the game. Luckily it's a game we've been happy to return to a number of times despite having our bottoms handed to us by the four viruses of the apocalypse, so when I do get (and play) the expansion we won't be looking to win :) Is the expansion as bad as it looks Lockhart?

Hafwit - Madagascar? All apart from the chimps and penguins. If you have any criticism throw it now... I thought that they were the work of Eric Darnell and Tom McGrath (or so Wiki says...).

#6 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 14 February 2011 - 11:10 AM

My bad. I thought the board game was related to the internet game where you play a disease, and where Madagascar is extremely hard to infect. :) Hence the swearing.

It even caused a meme: http://knowyourmeme....down-everything

#7 Lockhart

Lockhart

Yorkton Gamer & RPGMP3 Professional

• Administrators
  • 1,238 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationRegina, SK, Canada

Posted 14 February 2011 - 12:33 PM

The expansion introduces a number of new roles, as well as a better operations expert, so depending on the combination you get the game can be harder or easier. There are some new event cards as well, and some, IMO, very needed organizational petri (sp?) dishes to seperate the disease cubes and such. There are also the three new ways to play, however I've yet to really take a go at the Bioterrorist, mostly I work with the other two and they're quite fun. I've found it worth the cost just for the new roles and the dishes to help organize my box. But that's me.

If you are having true difficulty on beginner, I would suggest you peruse the rules to make sure you're doing everything correctly. Are you remembering, after dealing cards out to players, to separate the deck into four piles, shuffle one epidemic card into each small deck, and then stack them one onto the other? If you just shuffle four into the deck, there is a chance they come in rapid succession which can really hurt your chances.

The game isn't easy, but after you get the hang of it, you should be able to win against beginner mode most times. Mind, the way we play is semi-open hand, (IE, I have 4 black cards, is there a city I should go to so someone can give me the fifth). So that might give us an advantage we shouldn't.

#8 Slartibartfast

Slartibartfast

Ghoul

• Patrons
  • 921 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationMelbourne

Posted 17 February 2011 - 03:53 AM

Hafwit - I'm with you now! I have heard of the game but never played - at least I now know where to go when the zombies come :plot:

Lockhart - We always play open handed and plan as far ahead as we can at all times but still :( We did win a couple of times previous then later found that we had mistakenly cheated (e.g. the scientist held 8 cards in one hand thus getting two cures on one turn)! We do sort the epidemic cards correctly and ensure that the decks are thoroughly shuffled too but I suppose that now we've won one we'll be in a better position next time. In any case it's fun to play, doesn't take too long and inspires a degree of cooperation.

#9 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 23 February 2012 - 10:40 AM

I had great interest of playing board games. Whenever I am getting bored I like to play board games and these games are best time pass for me. I am here looking for best board games that are of great fun of all time.

best board games

Hey, that's really awesome! I also like board game. But you know what I really don't like? Spam. :gtfo:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge