#1 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 23 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

The Strand Gamers head for the horny encouter with the Stag Lord.

Pathfinder: Kingmaker Session 09

Filesize: 114MB

"Stag Night"

The group raids the fort in search of their hated foe, The Stag Lord. It seems that they got more than they planned on. The end of Kingmaker Book 1 "Stolen Lands".

Community Podcast Updated!

Hal :hal:

#2 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 23 September 2010 - 07:30 PM

Thank you to Hal and the Strand folk! I'm totally expecting a total party wipe here, but the file is long.

I'm looking forward to this session, I have a feeling this is where you guys reach the point in the game where my party is. We've been taking a hiatus for Council of Thieves though, so we still aren't resuming until early October.

Been enjoying things, thanks very much!

[edit] should have thought about the fact that the final encounter is no where near as lethal as the random encounters that the group has already encountered. [/edit]

#3 Drake

Drake

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 10:35 AM

Well, that was an interesting fight. I'd say well done everyone. Thank you for sharing.

I did however notice a DM mistake in the episodes leading up to this fight. The XP reward for exploring a hex is 100 XP for each character, no total (though the first book is rather unclear on that, the second states it explicitly). With 35 hex explored, every character had 2675 XP less than they should have had - which meant they fought the fight at a level below where they should have been. It would have made the fight a bit less interesting, but I thought I should bring it up.

Thanks for sharing!

#4 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 02 January 2011 - 11:37 AM

I always divide the XP at the end when I give them their experience for the session. Unless I didn't....

Hard to remember, this was months ago for us. Anyway, thanks for listening and I'm glad you enjoy it.

#5 Drake

Drake

Toad

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:49 PM

I'm fairly certain you did divide the XP, which is the problem. The 100 XP/hex should be added after dividing the rest of the XP, since every character gets a full 100 XP, not a total of 100/hex. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

#6 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:57 PM

Whoops, thanks for pointing that out. I am still doing that wrong then.

#7 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 02 January 2011 - 02:59 PM

So it's supposed to be 100XP/character for exploration? That's weird - everything else in the game is a per party award.

The weirdness I'd picked up on is that the prescribed award for exploration, unlike everything else in the game, doesn't scale. So in book 5, when the characters are at L14, you're still keeping track of 100 XP/hex, when the monsters might be worth more like 25,000.

#8 LightPagoda

LightPagoda

Captain One

• Members
  • 461 posts
  • LocationSan Diego

Posted 05 January 2011 - 10:40 PM

I read that comment about exploration xp and was pretty sure there were questions about that on the paizo forums. sure enough a little search got this info directly from James Jacobs.

"Yup; for each hex the PCs explore, the party earns 100 xp. It's not a lot, but there ARE about 280 hexes to explore in all, so that adds up. If a party of 4 does nothing but explore hexes and never fights monsters or completes quests, they could, in theory, earn 28,000 XP, for 7,000 XP apiece (assuming a 4 PC party) which, on the medium track, would get them most of the way through 3rd level."

There are some other responses to the same question asked in other threads where they say that any experience awarded is always for the party as a whole.

#9 leeyn

leeyn

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:54 AM

With 35 hex explored, every character had 2675 XP less than they should have had - which meant they fought the fight at a level below where they should have been...

#10 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 16 March 2011 - 03:29 PM

I have checked into this and hex xp is supposed to be divided like all the other xp in the game. They got the right amount.

#11 Skyth

Skyth

Kobold

• Members
  • 71 posts

Posted 02 September 2011 - 01:32 PM

Kendra forgot her ac was better because of bracer's of armor.

I know in book of the river nations exploring a hex gives 400 xp if memory serves.

Is Erin going to come back?

#12 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 11 January 2012 - 03:10 PM

Listening to this again a second time because my group just did it and I wanted to see how they compared.

Yes this is a long fight. In our case, the druid ended up summoning two earth elementals with augment summoning. They are pretty powerful...everyone just ran away. Once they vanished into the ether though, it started to slow down.

I also wanted to see what happened after the fight so I could prepare for the next game. I liked what happened with Nugrah too. I'll have to keep that option open with my group.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge