• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Virulent

Virulent

Toad

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 01 September 2010 - 02:11 PM

Does anyone have any suggestions for any system which does a decent job of handling large vehicle encounters? Vehicle vs. Vehicle, where the group is controlling one?

My only real restriction is it has to get all the players involved, not just a pilot or some such with the rest twiddling their thumbs. I'm googled out, and nothing really has struck my fancy so far, but I also haven't been able to get into any meat of rules to see if I really like them.

Any suggestions are welcome.

#2 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:21 PM

The old FASA Star Trek, did a wonderful job of spaceship combat, where each player assumed the role of one of the bridge officers (each with a photocopied "console", even). The larger Car Wars combatants used multiple gunners. But apart from that I can't think of any.

#3 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 01 September 2010 - 03:40 PM

Hmm. For some reason I'm thinking of Dark Future (similar premise to Car Wars). I remember speed being measured in miles per hour and various other things that made it easy to relate to. Only got to play it once myself. Never have your gang leader try to take a 60 degree corner at 96mph on a motorbike in your first game :P .

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 09:58 AM

While it might not be the perfect system, I've always been intrigued to try advanced vehicle combat using Mutants and Masterminds (basically the d20 system) but have never had the opportunity because it's easier for players to buy a brokenly cheap travel power instead of any other kind of transportation. However, if you used the rules without the superpowered players, I think there's definitely something in there.

You'd have a pilot doing pilot rolls. most likely, but you could have gunners trying to shoot stuff, engineers trying to repair things, and crazy bastards attempting to leap the gap to the enemy ship and board her. It's d20 so all the skills are there and are fairly recognizable and easy to understand, some even including little charts of difficulty checks, but it's MnM which is much superior to base d20 in my opinion due to how it handles vehicles and damage.

#5 Pheonix

Pheonix

Olde Farte Gamer

• Patrons
  • 322 posts

Posted 02 September 2010 - 10:09 AM

The old D&D SpellJammer rules worked surprisingly well for fantasy themed space battle. Basiclly everyone manned the ships weapons that worked according to their skills and there were some fairly complex rules for air envelopes, gravity planes and movement. Great setting too.

#6 david

david

Toad

• Members
  • 0 posts

Posted 03 September 2010 - 11:38 AM

You can really hack any system to do this. Rather than having the pilot/gunner make all the rolls. Have everyone roll for something, applying success or failure as a modifier to the pilot/gunner's rolls.

Gurps space has a very good system for abstract space combat, one completely divorced from the extremely complicated rules for gurps vehicle combat generally.

#7 lovelyme

lovelyme

Toad

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 11 February 2013 - 05:33 AM

Hmm. For some reason I'm thinking of Dark Future (similar premise to Car Wars). I remember speed being measured in miles per hour and various other things that made it easy to relate to. Only got to play it once myself. Never have your gang leader try to take a 60 degree corner at 96mph on a motorbike in your first game :P .

hahaha yeahh were both.. same thinking
especially for the Car Wars

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge