1 reply to this topic

#1 CarbonateDysprosium

CarbonateDysprosium

Toad

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 06:55 PM

I read through some of the posts in the RPGMP3 RPG Collaboration section of the forum and noticed how the idea has died, or it could be hiding in the coveted patrons forum. A RPGMP3 game is a great idea and it's sad to see it come to a halt.

My guess for the cause of this halt is that the development never got past a theoretical stage and became a jumble of every system anyone could think of. This makes a post-apocalyptic game idea base with thousands of variants. Everyone would be working on their own variant so no real cohesive system came through.

To counteract this ne'er-do-well democratic symptom, I'm going to take a tyrannical approach. (Which may update to an oligarchical tyranny.) :plot:

My goal for this topic is to become a reference for the progress of the game development and stating the main goals of the project. Obviously, as this is a forum, this topic is for comments also.
--------------------
My general lack of upkeep and my unnecessary wordiness has been a boon to my non-productivity on this idea. So why should I care for presentation? I should just put out the ideas.

Most, if not all, of the ideas here are purposefully lacking a specific dice rolling system because I'm not experienced enough to choose which system would work best. That's where you come in.

If you like an idea, make a comment. if you have an improvement, post a comment. If you have an idea for how to implement any of the ideas post it.

Let's pool our resources and build something.

Updates
[*]2010-08-23 Added Mutations Info
[*]2010-08-24 Writing/Cosmetics Update
[*]2010-09-06 Added Attack & Damage Info
[*]2010-09-14 Huge Block of Ideas First Drafted
[*]2010-09-15 Item Combination & Bleeding Updated

#2 CarbonateDysprosium

CarbonateDysprosium

Toad

• Members
  • 14 posts
  • LocationCalifornia, USA

Posted 22 August 2010 - 07:06 PM

Okay here goes the unveiling of my ambitious plan!

*Preps Don LaFontaine voice*
In a world, where foliage is rare and electronics obsolete, where mankind has been fundamentally altered to accept and regrow, a town stood on the brink of destruction... and survived. Years later, when radiation decreased these citizens left their underground bunker of security to reclaim their homes. A desolate world greeted them and civility broke. Twenty years down the line the town is a film of the shell that it once was. Neighborhoods have joined forces to become little more than gangs vying for power and expansion. You has left your home to change the world. Your reasons are unknown but you mean to be a force to be reckoned with. This is your beginning.
*Rising Orchestral Music then Silence*

Now, with theatrics aside, to the ideas.

I've done some over-all brainstorming but have decided that I should start with why this game should be interesting, because if no one is interested it's going to die without being played. Since this is an unveiling I'm going to start with what I'm most interested in.

Mutations
It's post-apocalyptic, some sort of crazy has to happen! Why not Mutations? but not just cosmetic mutations, mutations that are the stats. Mutations, where as the game lengthens, you gain more of. With enough chances to roll and possibly a slight stacking to cause more improvements this could replace leveling.

My favorite additive of this is that the mutations could positively or negatively effect the character. Imagine the strongest player in your group gloating over their many kills and then after a new mutation roll they lose their vaunted strength becoming an average member of the party. This enables greater variability in role-playing and allows adaptive tactics.

Fights will not always be the same characters doing the same things. Players would be average people who gradually became more or less than average because of exposure. Which makes more sense to me then "we killed are hundredth rat and now have leveled. So finally, we aren't the same strength as the rats and can kill them easily." Role-playing biased players would get multiple chances to show character reactions and number-crunching strategy heavy players don't have to wait until leveling to update their fighting strategy.

This gradual-stat leveling will use more paper-work than a goal-based leveling but it's many, small, spread out over time modifications. While goal-based leveling is a larger amount of modifications at one moment.

Attack & Damage
Wanting something adaptable but not overly complex, I settled on four attack types and three damage types.

The attack types are austere, sharp, blunt, and remote. These four attack types are the categories that all weapons will fall under and more in-depth information will come in later when I get to writing about weapons.

The damage types are quelling, bleeding, and crushing. Quelling effects morale, bleeding leads to impairments, and crushing breaks bones.

The three damage types are like this to add to role-playing potential. The high-moral characters could fight to quell their opponents to gain information rather than just kill them. The murderous and blood-thirsty would slowly bleed their enemies to death. While the no non-sense characters will break their enemies to ensure that they can never be a threat.

Each attack type will have a damage they excel in. Austere attacks excel in quelling, sharp attacks excel in bleeding, while blunt attacks excel in crushing. Remote attacks, on the other hand are highly variable, relying on the projectiles and means of propulsion to define the attack and damage type. Attack types can deal any combination of damage types but austere will always deal quelling, sharp will always deal bleeding, etc.

---------------
Achtung!
---------------
(After this point all the information is a jumble, which I will correct and tie together at a latter date.)

Types of Mutation
[*]Blood: Effects bleeding damage taken and drug effectiveness
[*]Muscle: Effects quelling damage taken and damage given
[*]Bone: Effects crushing damage taken and breaking damage given to items
[*]Nervous System:Effects dice rolls, especially saving throws

An Item Combination System
Using found items to create armor, weapons, drugs, etc. This would be awesome to have a table set where each item had stat values of say zero to ten that gave information about about it's acidity, hardiness etc. so that anything could be combined and not a restricted set of items.

Combination will not make some super item that will last forever. If a poison is added to a blade the blade will have a one-off poison additive. Armor crudely strapped together with twine will fall off before it breaks. Each creation will have a weakest link. For the poison blade it's weakness is how many stabs the poison lasts. For the twine attached armor it's weakness would be attacks to where the twine is tied.

Combining also doesn't work at a 100% gain. If you attach five daggers to your hand doesn't mean you deal 5x dagger damage. If the daggers were attached wolverine-esque a stabbing motion would deal more damage while a slicing motion would still deal about the same. To even this damage difference out, and account for some unwieldiness, the Penta-dagger would be a dagger damage +1 that last about 7 attacks before it breaks down to becoming just one normal dagger.

The Penta-dagger also will go against the hardiness of what it is attacking. If the daggers where shimmied together with rope of some sort they would gradually untangle, the seven turns, but if your blades are held together with rope and you stab a brick the jerry-rigged Penta-dagger would fall apart much faster. The chance of instant breaking will be a roll based on a comparison of the hardiness of the two items.

What's needed for implementation?: Item stats, workmanship roll, percent stat growth for combination

Hit Areas
PC's get to decide which areas they aim for. There are three possible outcomes hit, miss or fumble. My favorite idea is to allow a miss to the aimed position actually allow a instant kill. You can aim for an extremity and actually hit a vital organ. This would apply to dodging also. You could feasibly dodge a misplaced shot and actually put it somewhere worse.

Breaking
Materials with have a set hardiness so they will take a certain amount of blows and then become even less useful. Non-pliable materials will crack and break and have little use besides throwing ammunition. Pliable materials will shred and can be used as bandages, to staunch blood flow, etc.

How Armor Works
Armor exists as makeshift equipment. Whole sets are virtually non-existent. They mainly lower the the chance of disabling blows. Pliable armor give the best coverage of hit areas but the more pliable it is the less it effects disabling blows. Non-pliable armor covers relatively little area but can cover most vitals, it is also unwieldy so it affects attacks. I would love it if this could work out so that a PC could have a half-leather half-plate armor. The leather would be on their attacking arm to allow full maneuverability and they could defend with plate armor on their off-arm.

How Weapons Work
With no specialty or proficiency in weapons anything can be used and choices depend more on character preference. The hope is for a attack type system that will allow common things to be picked up and used as weapons.

Say you find a telephone booth, okay. You take the phone and cord and use it as a flail. Holding the cord and hitting with the phone is blunt damage with increased damage potency and decreased precision. Holding the phone and hitting with the cord would be a slashing/bleeding damage with the same increase and decrease.

Weapons will have a baseline for an average weapon and then classification that will affect it's use. Fighting unarmed gives increased precision, but does quelling damage. Knifes have increased precision baseline and damage. Longer blades have a lower precision but are more potent attacks. The longer the blade the more potent the attack and lower the objects breaking point is.

Obviously if the blade same length as the average persons height if an enemy gets to hand to hand range with the huge blade wielder the blade-man will lose his attack potency because it generates from the blades lever-like property where it exerts more force at one end compared to the other.

Thrown objects have low precision but can be made to be AoE. Jars can be found and filled with any flammable liquid/objects with a light source and some scrap cloth a explosive projectile can be made. Less pliable and hardy materials really gain a use being thrown because when they break they turn into shrapnel.

Bleeding
Bleeding will work as drainage per turn. Each player will have a set amount of blood, a bit more than the average human. (I believe it's around two pints.) A realistic match of blood loss to physical state would be great. Blood loss is counteracted be transfusing blood. Since a percentile system to see if the blood transfused kills or saves you would be cool it would be horribly cruel considering how easily someone would die anyway so dues ex machina plot point to follow.

Thanks to the internet and my blind faith in every Wikipedia article, I have found an applicable condition to blood loss relation to fulfill my wants. The classification system is by the American College of Surgeons' Advanced Trauma Life Support (ATLS). [Source]

Hemorrhaging Classification
[*:2rt0vm0i]Class I: 15% of blood pool lost. Maybe some dizzy/woozy -ness
[*:2rt0vm0i]Class II: 15 - 30% of blood pool lost. Rapid heatbeat. Narrowed vision. Skin may start to look pale and be cool to the touch. May exhibit slight changes in behavior. Volume resuscitation with crystalloids (Saline solution or Lactated Ringer's solution) is all that is required.
[*:2rt0vm0i]Class III: 30 - 40% of blood pool lost. Blood pressure drops, the heart rate increases, and the mental status worsens. Resuscitation with crystalloid fluid and blood transfusion.
[*:2rt0vm0i]Class IV: > 40%of blood pool lost. The limit of the body's compensation is reached and aggressive resuscitation is required to prevent death.
Healing and First Aid
Everyone is able to staunch, wrap, and apply pressure to wounds to slow bleeding. Blood loss is fixed by transfusing blood. Any human blood will work. Kill an enemy and Steal It's Power!, or in this case blood. For the heavily wounded a digestible/rub-on powder, cream and/or gel (can't decide which) will enable hyper-regenerative powers for the afflicted area. This "super-potion" will be expensive and it's availability is controlled by an organization.

Forthcoming Ideas:
[*:2rt0vm0i]Morale - not everyone fights to the death
[*:2rt0vm0i]and more once I find where I hid my notes

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge