5 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 19 August 2010 - 08:11 PM

Well I just got done with my tenth session as a GM I thought it went pretty well until about the last 30 minutes or so when all of the PC's started butting heads and stopped differentiating between game and reality and started attacking each other on a personal level for things happening in game a couple of players even said they were not interested in playing anymore with some of the people in the group they said they were enjoying the story and the npc's but they just were not able to get along with each other after about 2 hours of yelling at each other i finally convinced them to come to one more game and after that game if they still couldn't get along then we would figure out what to do from there this has happened before it is also why our previous gm decided to quit and become a pc I dont know what to do I tried talking to our old gm but he feels he has been wronged by the other players and is being very unhelpful everyone left on bad terms and i have received about 50 phone calls from the players since i have been home ranting about the other people in the group I really would hate to see this be the end of my favorite hobby any advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:14 AM

Um, shorter sessions? Or failing that take abreak for a few weeks then come back to it. it sounds liek there's some long standing resentment between players who just don't want to get along that needs to be dealt with before you can enjoy playing together again.

#3 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:05 PM

What the Balginator said.

#4 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:17 PM

Agreed. This is one of those times when you really have to sit down and talk it out before anything productive can happen. You might want to try tracking down everyone individually and finding out exactly what their gripe is before the big group session - just so you're aware of issues that will likely come up. Hopefully it can be resolved and everyone can resume gaming. Potentially you could lose one or more players, which is always sad.

If your previous GM is unwilling to help out then the responsibility lies on you for some reason - it is the curse of GMing - to figure out what's best for the group. Sometimes this means hard decisions. Think calmly and don't get caught up in the drama. If this can all be fixed by removing a single person then do so, politely but firmly, in the manner you see most appropriate. Frankly, if that's all it takes you'll be very fortunate as it's usually not that simple.

Good luck, we're pulling for you.

#5 Cross

Cross

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLuskan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 11:41 PM

I offer a slightly more tedious suggestion, but one that has worked in our games before. If you have two different factions, perhaps splitting them up "in game" would help. If group A want to go somewhere or do something different, let them.

The downside to this is that managing two groups can be slower for the players and more tedious for the DM. Roleplaying games are supposed to be a way to relax and hang out with friends and good company though. If your sessions aren't providing either of these, then I agree that something seriously needs to be done...

#6 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 21 August 2010 - 12:41 AM

Thanks guys for all of your input we have decided to take a two week break from gaming hopefully after which everyone will have calmed down and had time to think about what would be best for them

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge