6 replies to this topic

#1 Cross

Cross

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLuskan

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:11 PM

I've recently made the mistake of bringing a good character into a group composed of primarily evil characters. I really like my character and don't want to change, but it makes things very difficult RP wise. For instance, they want to settle a dispute with a ship captain by teleporting aboard his ship, murdering everyone, and setting fire to it. My familiar (a Petal from the MMIII), RPed by our GM, also has some serious reservations about traveling with the lot. The main problem is, they're on the main plot of the adventure, and going off on my own would be a serious hassle on both the GM and the plot.

Also, does anyone know of any PrC's that advance two arcane spell classes? I'm currently using the Ultimate Magus, but have no idea what I'm going to do after I master in in four or five levels.

#2 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:47 PM

It can be very tough being the odd man out, for whatever reason. While I usually take great pains to avoid the alignment issues for myself and players I have come across some huge disconnects between me and the rest of the group over even more trivial stuff (why on earth my squishy rogue should want to stand bravely out in the open during a guerilla raid is still beyond me). There are a few things you can try to just smooth the differences over and fit in, but I feel it's most likely that to truly mesh with the group something is going to have to give.

First I must ask how you ended up in this situation. Were you just unaware of the group's psychopathic bent? I can see reasons for a DM to not inform someone of this - mostly RP since a new character would be unaware as well - but I feel very strongly that this is one of those times where metagaming a little will help preserve the game and player base while not being upfront about the group alignment can lead to... well, this. You seem to be taking it very maturely though, so good on you.

As for resolving it without altering or rerolling your char is likely going to involve finding something so important that it overrules your aversion to their tactics. It's also probably best to bring your DM in on this since it's probable he could, and shuld, get a good story arc out of it. Without knowing all about your backstory or the world it's hard to be specific, but here are some general ideas:

- You need help with a quest of great import - possibly a very personal one - and you need murderous villains to succeed. You don't like their methods but the ends justify the means.
- You have a personal connection to one or more of them thatis stronger than your moral distaste for the things they do. Maybe you're trying to save them from themselves.
- You have been inserted either by your own choice or by others as the control in the group in an attempt to mitigate the damage they do.
- You are being blackmailed, possibly by the party, and are very much the unwilling participant with no choice in the matter.
- Something within you secretly wants to be the bad guy and you roleplay your slow descent into evil.

Barring those slow, RP-based options there are some less subtle ones.

- Your DM sticks a Belt of Opposite Alignment on you and the party doesn't bother to get it removed.
- You reroll the same character build but evil, assuming alignment isn't a requirement for something you do other than possibly your familiar.
- You retire your character and play someone evil.

The last one is a last resort, especially since you've said you don't want to change, but it might be the simplest and easiest way. Before doing any of these, or another very clever solution from the smart folks who are sure to chime in, I advise chatting about this with your DM and even your group, if you haven't already. Maybe they have a solution or are even willing to tone it back a little for your sake. Either way, full disclosure and keeping them abreast of your feelings will possibly stave off some inadvertent complications down the road.

Good luck, and I hope something in my rambling helps. Keep us posted on how it works out.

#3 Illianthar

Illianthar

Damage Inc.

• Patrons
  • 23 posts
  • LocationSan Tan Valley, AZ

Posted 19 August 2010 - 01:52 PM

I think it depends mostly on the level of good of your character, compared to the level of evil of the rest of the party.

For instance, it sounds like the party tends towards the archtype of Chaotic Evil (although it would be more evil to make the captain watch you kill everyone else, and then make him watch his ship burn...then maybe kill him). That makes it hard for any good character to interact with them. I think you’re only chance is to try and get the party to express themselves in a less overtly evil way. If they were to go more Count of Monte Cristo (bankrupt the captain then have him framed for murder) than Joker (torture, maim, and kill everyone), then your character would have less of a hard time sticking around.

Looking at it from an alignment perspective:

If you tend towards Lawful Good....well, you'd probably go get the local authorities and have everyone arrested, tried for their crimes and probably executed....then the rest of the party has to make new characters and hopefull you mesh more.

If you're more towards the Neutral side of Good, then it would still be a stretch. You might continue to ally yourself with the party if the ultimate end goal is in line with your goal. However you might try to soften their approach, or even subvert their plans. You might warn the ship crew ahead of time to be off the boat, but leave the Captain to his fate. He’s probably done some things in his life to deserve his fate. Maybe you can get the party to throw some gold to the owner of the ship’s fleet after the fact, to help rebuild the ship and hire a new, less offensive captain.

Chaotic Good means that you probably are ok with burning down a ship…sounds like some good fun…but you’d be concerned about the people on the ship. Are they good people, just making a living, or are they harassing, looting, or in other ways harming people? Maybe you get the party to just deal with the captain, and leave the crew alone. Maybe you don’t even kill the captain. You just rough him up and take his ship. Try and channel their evil tendencies so that they do the least amount of damage. Where they can still satisfy their cravings for misdeeds with a little evil, but they don’t go over the top. If that’s not possible, then you’re probably going to side with those being oppressed (in this case the crew), and that means standing up to the party.

#4 Cross

Cross

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLuskan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 09:44 AM

Thanks for the suggestions, everyone! I'm going to present them to my DM. I'm sure he can come up with a way to make things work a little more smoothly in future games.

#5 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 20 August 2010 - 02:47 PM

Let them set fire to the boat then report them to the authorities because you know they're plan. Let them see that evil actions carry consequences :). Maybe then they won't be so eager to be sadistic psycopathic characters.

Or work with them because they're actualy doing the plot for the rgeater good (even if they're too wicked, sick and depraved to notice). If it's not a goodly aligned plot then by all means dump them in the privvy to answer for their crimes :).

#6 Cross

Cross

Toad

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationLuskan

Posted 20 August 2010 - 03:55 PM

Reporting them to the authorities will carry little consequences. One of them (a black guard) is wanted by the entire Church of Heironeous and the other is the apprentice to a Lich who is the Archmage of a rather powerful arcane guild which funds the operation.

I think we've decided to go with "put up with them for the greater good". It works well enough that I can still RP the goody-two-shoes of the group, and they can still have their fun (while creating some rather interesting conversations between us).

They actually are out to save the world, even if my Magus would go about it in a slightly different way ^_^

#7 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 August 2010 - 08:08 PM

Ah, Blackguard and Lich, my two favourites. You're in good company.

Er... well, you know what I mean.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge