9 replies to this topic

#1 Brisos

Brisos

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:10 PM

Hi all,

I heard that these guys were using dungeon tiles made by one of the players (I think his name is Dave?). I also heard the word "hand crafted".

Does anyone know what these were exactly? Did he make them from scratch in photoshop or used something like Dwarven Forge or World Works Games?

Second question - did they ever post pictures of what the guy made?

I'm very curious.

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 PM

I can answer one of your question, it was James that made the dungeon tiles, beyond that I have no answers. :D

#3 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:41 PM

If I'm not mistaken, I've got a picture here:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I think they came a from a mold James purchased online. I got these as a gift from the RPGMP3 secret santa.

I can't find his original post, but I had these handy so I thought I would share.

#4 Brisos

Brisos

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 07:25 PM

This looks like actual resin tiles not print paper / card stock stuff.

So that's whatthey used during that podcast... cool!

#5 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:27 PM

The tiles and walls are cast in plaster using hirst arts molds.

The bricks and such are all actually small and you can arrange and glue them into whatever arrnagment you desire.

The floor tiles are 2" x 2" mounted on mdf.

The walls are all 1 1/2" tall and 1" thick. The length of the walls varies between 3" and 1".

The molds and painting information all came from hirst arts website.

Definitely check them out. They are a quality product and I am super happy with the four molds I own.

#6 Brisos

Brisos

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:47 AM

A response directly from Nyess! I feel like I met a celebrity.

I just recently (yesterday in fact) purchased a product from Worldworks games - it's paper modelling and I have no idea how well it is going to turn out.

The only other options I have found are either extremely expensive (like Dwarven forge) or just seemed too complex to put together. Never thought of buying molds and making them myself.

How hard is it to paint? I have never painted anything really. Not even a mini.

**edit**
I really like the Cavern Accessories Mold (#85). Seems like you get a lot of pieces (unless I read it wrong and the price displayed is for each piece) and it would go great with any kind of dungeon (plaster, resin or paper). Thanks for the tip!

#7 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:56 AM

I use the World Work Games stuff a LOT! :) In fact last I was cutting out TLX baseboards...

If anyone's going to Gen-Con they are just launching a pre-made system called TerraClips which looks fantastic!

I've got some photos of some stuff I did using the gothic realms set, and if I ever finish cutting out for the TLX I'll post some stuff up for that too (probably about Xmas 2012 at the rate I'm doing it!)

#8 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:31 AM

I use Fat Dragon Games paper miniatures myself: http://www.fatdragongames.com/

Posted Image

Posted Image

They have some better stuff now, but I haven't had time to go back and re-do any of my pieces.

#9 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:42 AM

Paper terrain these days is awesome. Unfortunately, wielding a sharp object in the real world is murder on my hands and fingers.

Don't sweat the painting. It is super easy. Do you possess a hand with an opposable thumb? Do you possess enough visual acuity to successfully wield eating utensils? Then you possess enough talent to paint the plaster wall sections.

Dwarven forge is a bit pricy but it is solid pre-painted resin and lasts just about forever.

#10 Brisos

Brisos

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

I do have a hand (two even). With a total of 9 thumbs. Each opposable within their own plane and dimension. I used to have 10 thumbs but I lost one trying to wield eating utensils.

Here I come Paper Modeling! Fear my Snap-Off Cutting Blade, for my 8 thumbs (ouch!) are thirsty for yer blood!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge