#21 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:58 AM

It's interesting that we're seeing a lot of Pathfinder games in progress. I wonder, does that reflect the popularity of the game in the wider world? Haven't listened to any of the new material over in the patrons' section yet but it looks like Monday is going to be full of terrific listening :D

But yes: we definitely need more BAG sessions!

#22 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 July 2010 - 06:40 AM

Based on shelf space at my FLGS, for every game of pathfinder going on, there are 15 of 4e DnD.

Damn shame I think, but that's what I can tell by the amount of space devoted to the various products. Perhaps there's a better profit margin on the 4e stuff though. Larger print runs and the corporate might of WotC will make the price he pays for inventory lower on those.

It would be interesting to see what anecdotal evidence we can gather and, if possible, to compare that with sales numbers to see what things are like. For my part, I'm guessing that there was an entire market of players who have never played anything other than brand name DnD who transfered over obediently to 4e, without stopping to see if they preferred the system.

#23 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:53 AM

But yes: we definitely need more BAG sessions!

Ross (Gilleran) and Ross (Seabeast) are my favorite players for making me randomly laugh so once again I agree with BJB. :D

#24 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 09:26 AM

Ah, the Pathfinder/4e divide.

Pathfinder has much better pre-made adventures, but it is more complicated to build your own. 4e makes you feel heroic from first level but that feeling doesn't scale up that well with level. On the other hand, Pathfinder is grittier and you will be climbing your way to high levels on the mountain of your former characters.

I could go on like that all day, but the point is it is a matter a preference. I play in two 4e games a week and two Pathfinder games a week and I really enjoy them both. Really I'm just recording Pathfinder because it is what I happened to be starting when I decided to record. It could have easily been 4e (or Burning Wheel, Star Wars Saga or anything else).

#25 Harvo

Harvo

Toad

• Members
  • 16 posts
  • LocationSpokane, Wa

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:03 AM

Yay less stress/work for Hal =D .

*Goes hiding in the void again :x*

#26 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 July 2010 - 11:59 AM

Ah, the Pathfinder/4e divide.

I'm mostly bitter about the fact that I can't go to my FLGS and buy Pathfinder books. They keep 2-3 titles on the shelf and to their credit, it changes over pretty often. But they always have every 4e title available.

I've never played 4e personally, but I have GM'd it. My wife was a player in the 4e game I ran and the pathfinder game I run now (and I play the pathfinder game she runs). We've found which one we prefer, but I'd be up for playing 4e, assuming that the GM's style was not one I really didn't like (but that goes for any game).

We don't apologize for our preference, but we certainly wish that there were enough Pathfinder players in our city to get our FLGS to carry a solid pathfinder inventory.

All that in response to BJB's question about the relative popularity in the world at large. Of course, I'm only about 200 miles from Hal and Lindsay, so maybe it tells about a small corner of Texas, USA

#27 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 12:09 PM

Wow, I'm spoiled apparently. I have a couple local gaming stores and they all carry the Pathfinder big releases and a selection of adventure paths and supplements. They also sell basically everything WotC makes but I have never felt like Paizo did not have a presence.

#28 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 24 July 2010 - 04:54 PM

Anecdotal evidence as requested: Went to a small, local con back in April. There were demos and organized play events for both Pathfinder and 4e. Four tables for Pathfinder. Four tables for 4e. So doing the math, we've got 32 slots for each game, counting Friday night, all day Saturday, and Sunday morning.

For Pathfinder, every space for the weekend...every foxtrotting one...was filled by the time I arrived at 8:30 Friday night. Every 4e table ran with an open seat.

Now, on the other side of the coin, the folks running and playing in the 4e games were awesome. Every, single one of them friendly, welcoming, and solicitous of the noobs who showed up. The Pathfinder Society guys... Well, let's just say I regret sending my money in before I met them.

So, while my own personal preference runs with PF, I might just be able to point to another reason why the 4e books sell more copies.

#29 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 24 July 2010 - 05:51 PM

I know what you mean, Ieqo. I read the Pathfinder boards at work and there is a strong contigent pushing the idea that if you cast healing spells in combat/don't take feat X as class Y/put ranks in a flavor skill then you are playing Pathfinder wrong.

I even saw a thread asking what the mechanically optimal alignment is to pick for a summoner :(

#30 eformo

eformo

Ghoul

• Members
  • 566 posts
  • LocationWaco

Posted 24 July 2010 - 10:17 PM

Wow, I'm spoiled apparently. I have a couple local gaming stores and they all carry the Pathfinder big releases and a selection of adventure paths and supplements. They also sell basically everything WotC makes but I have never felt like Paizo did not have a presence.

I'm sure I could find gaming stores that carry all the stuff, but it's a 90 minute drive to the nearest cities that are larger than the one I'm in. I'm sure either Austin or Dallas would have something better.

But in the mean time, I'll settle for what dinky little Waco has to offer. What with our reputation for crazy people, I'm lucky we have a shop at all I guess. :)

As for the little Con's like Ieqo mentioned, I haven't had the time to get out to those in this area. I may be a student, but they work us all summer long for the first couple years of the program. I used to love those con's back in the day, but back when I was young, the question was whether it was 1e or 2e, and I usually ended up for the Star Wars d6 system because there was a great GM at the local Con.

It's a bummer when you end up with GM's who don't give a good impression of a game you know is solid. My sympathy is with you!

#31 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:40 AM

Very impressive enen, what a prolific little spambot you are.

Edit: that was, of course, in reference to a page of spam, which has now quite properly been deleted. :)

#32 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 26 July 2010 - 04:39 PM

Welcome to Monday the bringer of wonderful RPGMP3 audios after a long break. :D

#33 DMSamuel

DMSamuel

The Crotchety Old DM

• Patrons
  • 63 posts
  • LocationDownstate. NY, USA

Posted 26 July 2010 - 08:20 PM

Woot! Guild of Geeks is on Fridays - I will have two 2-hour episodes for you on Friday!

#34 StirringSagacity

StirringSagacity

Lucid Patron

• Patrons
  • 154 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 27 July 2010 - 06:32 PM

Wow there are a lot on Tuesday. 8O

#35 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts

Posted 27 July 2010 - 07:23 PM

So sad none on Monday this week. :cry: :D

#36 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 27 July 2010 - 11:52 PM

Know, oh Keener, that there is at least one who shares your pain. :( :cry: :D

Can't wait for tomorrow's, though.

#37 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:40 PM

Now all I need to do is change to a job where I can listen to audio at work... All... day.... long! :D

#38 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 28 July 2010 - 01:51 PM

Now all I need to do is change to a job where I can listen to audio at work... All... day.... long! :D

Data entry

I did a five month stint where I would listen to 2-3 sessions a shift. I burned through most of Warlords in that time and it is the only thing that kept me sane. 8O

#39 StirringSagacity

StirringSagacity

Lucid Patron

• Patrons
  • 154 posts
  • LocationOregon

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:17 PM

Yes, I was also sad though I am thankful that there is any new audio at all. Good job for so I would say.

#40 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 28 July 2010 - 04:34 PM

Dragon Age - A Bann Too Many 04 was released on Monday. *sniff*

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users