• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 AgnosticTool

AgnosticTool

Toad

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 05:32 PM

I like to listen to your sessions. But here are a few suggestions.
The audio sessions pick up annoying sounds... like people messing with paper, sniffing, chewing, opening candy, coughing, LOUD laughing... these are just the ones in the session I'm listening to now.

So maybe a better recording set up. not having microphones near people's mouths and noses. If you have separate mics mess with the levels... cause some people are soft spoken and others loud... makes trying to listen to the session... again annoying. If you're have to cough... turn away from the mic, if you're sniffling don't do it near the mic. Don't open food, candy, cans, or mess with paper or what ever near the mics.

Like I want to listen... I want to enjoy the experience with you all... but there are so many annoying sounds that just turn me off to it.

-Brian

#2 Nicholas

Nicholas

Stirge

• Members
  • 347 posts
  • LocationRedmond, WA

Posted 20 July 2010 - 06:41 PM

Try your own suggestions at your next gaming session. How comfortable are your players when they cannot have snacks, yell, mumble, cough, laugh or shuffle through papers at the table?

These recordings are not done in studio conditions, they are generally done around an already crowded dining room table with a single recorder in the middle.

#3 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 20 July 2010 - 11:11 PM

Moreover, it's been mentioned that the philosophy of at least some of the groups is to portray the experience as if you were actually at the table, so they purposefully do nothing to edit those extra sounds out.

Now, there are negatives to this approach and the audio spikes are an issue sometimes. I am on record for blaming Chris as the reason one of my sets of headphones blew out and needed to be replaced. However, I am much happier with the opportunity to listen to these sessions at all - sessions made by very busy people who receive virtually nothing but adulation for their efforts - that I'm willing to forgive the small stuff.

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 22 July 2010 - 01:26 PM

I like to listen to your sessions. But here are a few suggestions.
The audio sessions pick up annoying sounds... like people messing with paper, sniffing, chewing, opening candy, coughing, LOUD laughing... these are just the ones in the session I'm listening to now.

So maybe a better recording set up. not having microphones near people's mouths and noses. If you have separate mics mess with the levels... cause some people are soft spoken and others loud... makes trying to listen to the session... again annoying. If you're have to cough... turn away from the mic, if you're sniffling don't do it near the mic. Don't open food, candy, cans, or mess with paper or what ever near the mics.

Like I want to listen... I want to enjoy the experience with you all... but there are so many annoying sounds that just turn me off to it.

-Brian

Welcome to the boards!

Not to be catty, but your concerns have been brought up before...

I think all the groups use a single recorder/mic set-up with the exception of the pantsless gamers who of course use skype and do quite a bit of post production editing. Definitely not the studio set up used by, for example, WOTC.

Some podcasts have much better audio quality than others. Which one are you listening to?

#5 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 22 July 2010 - 03:08 PM

Be glad my players won't let me load up mine. Hearing a grown GM sob as the players wonder off in ways that should not be possible isn't pretty... 8O

#6 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 26 July 2010 - 06:29 AM

Hi there, Brian, seems to have been a few days since your original post and I just want to ensure that you've not been scared off by the other chaps that posted. They certainly meant no offence by what they said. :)

Now moving onto your points and please be aware that I've just returned from a 10-day work trip so I am utterly shattered so any oddness in this post can be blamed on that.

The first thing to understand when perusing the material on here is that unlike (as mentioned previously) WOTC none of the groups record in a professional environment. As a result there will occasionally be oddness, or random noises.

Now that does not disregard anything of what you pointed out. Every group, including my own (the Pantsless Gamers) have had a learning curve. To my knowledge, none of the groups had any recording or audio editing experience prior to their first recorded game. As is natural, as time goes on, measures are taken to improve sound quality and such like - but this is nearly always done post-production -- as the PGers can attest, having the GM go "stop sniffing into the mic" every five seconds, does nothing for the gaming experience.

Something else to bear in mind is that there are more than one group found here, my last count reads 16 separate groups. Each group operates in a different manner and each group is edited by a different person. The result of such is a varying level in "quality" -- I use quality not to claim that some groups are better than others, but for a simple lack of any other suitable word.

I am certain Jon (of the Whartson Hallers) won't mind me using his group as an example. The Whartson Hall group and the Pantsless Gamers are as polar opposite as groups come on this site.

The WHs focus on shorter games and obtainable Indy titles; it is the WH mission to have gamers feel as if they are at the table with the group.

The PGers focus on longer arcing campaigns and use either mainstream titles (Dragon Age, for example), or unobtainable Indy titles in development by group members; it is the PGer mission to present games that are closer to audio books with a lot of post-production editing (sound effects & backing music).

So, as you can see, where one group might not meet the demands of a particular listener (a audio book fan, listening to the WH; a tabletop immersion fan listening to the PGers) another might. My recommendation is to "shop around" as it were, listen to other groups and multiple campaigns (how Tropis is run, is completely different to Dragon Age, but the PGers produced both).

As a final note, I would like to reiterate what I said earlier in that please don't think your suggestions have been disregarded just because we've not agreed with you. The groups here are always open to critic. :)

#7 Hal

Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 27 July 2010 - 08:48 PM

An interesting first post - criticism out of the gate without stating which audio he was listening to...

The time frame on some of this stuff is huge. Some of the early recordings are over 7 years old now and we were using cheap conference mics and mini disc players back then. There is a massive variety in the recording quality as we have moved through the years.

Different groups have different set ups but no one is here to make professional recordings. People are going to cough and sneeze and Ruby is going to pant into the mic. This is all part of the experience and something that would take a full time audio technician to weed out of everything on the site.

As everything on the site is free, comments on quality are accepted, changes are made where possible but until we can afford to hire someone with a professional recording study, or manage to get the tens of thousands needed for something like a Big Brother wireless mic setup the noises and such remain :)

We always to try to respond to this kind of stuff - it is how we learn to make the recordings better, but saying that people are shuffling paper at a roleplaying table is hardly surprising. The mic my group generally uses is a pretty sensitive binaural setup (Vecna the head) and he can hear a packet of Cheetos opened up at about 500 feet :)

So - lets all remember - the audio is free. Different groups have different equipment, environments and setups. We all do this for fun and not as a job. Do feel free to throw us one of your own games and I will happily host it :)

Oh, and did I mention, everything was free?

Hal :hal:

PS - I am pretty certain I could have copied this reply for the many dozens of similar I have written over the years :) Perhaps I need a front page announcement or something :P

#8 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 27 July 2010 - 09:13 PM

PS - I am pretty certain I could have copied this reply for the many dozens of similar I have written over the years :) Perhaps I need a front page announcement or something :P

I don't think that would help Hal I listen to a number of podcasts and unsolicited commentary seems to be the bane of the art form. :evil: :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge