• Create Account

iPhone apps recommendation thread

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:26 PM

If you happen to the type of soul who is a gamer and is also kindly supporting The Apple Inc share price via your iPhone subscription, then this is the thread for you! :D

Simply share with us the gaming related apps you would recommend to your forum chums!

To start things off:

Carcassone
Yep, you've guessed it, this is the app version of the famous boardgame. Now I haven't actually played this but had to mention it because I've only just noticed it in the app shop! :)

Battle for Wesnoth
this is a turn by turn fantasy wargame with rpg style campaigns and character development for the main characters in the game. Could keep you busy for hours this could... Just ask Mrs Jomster!!!

#2 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 02:48 PM

I remember a thread like this before, but I'm too lazy to look it up so I'll post some here.

Words with Friends (Free or Paid)
It's like scrabble but better. Easier to get high scoring combinations. Like using the 10 point Q on a triple letter and also getting triple word with a 4 letter word. It often makes your opponent use other, more common 4-letter words. A few rpgmp3-ers already play.
http://itunes.apple....=8&ign-mpt=uo=2

Settlers of Catan ($4.99)
I've never played Carcassone but I have played Settlers so I'd recommend this one, though I haven't bought it yet.
http://itunes.apple....=335029050&mt=8

I also have Dicenomicon, though I haven't used it lately. Great graphics and physics, and very customizable. Great for exploding dice, npc stat generation, and several other things. A bit pricey now, glad I got it before they raised the price.
http://itunes.apple....d288286599?mt=8

#3 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 15 July 2010 - 03:12 PM

I'd recommend the Settlers app: there's a chap on my bus who sits in front of me, playing it on his iPhone.
I spend a lot of time peering over his shoulder enviously. :)

#4 MelkiorWhiteblade

MelkiorWhiteblade

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,186 posts
  • LocationRoseville, CA

Posted 15 July 2010 - 04:38 PM

I must say that being without my iPod Touch this week has been difficult. My shuffle doesn't have any games...other than 'Can you guess which song will be next?'

#5 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 16 July 2010 - 05:49 AM

For specific rpg ones have a look here

#6 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 July 2010 - 09:49 AM

I'd recommend the Settlers app: there's a chap on my bus who sits in front of me, playing it on his iPhone.
I spend a lot of time peering over his shoulder enviously. :)

I bought that one to take on holiday. Very nice. Particularly enjoyable taking my Roman soldiers into battle with the Mayans! :D

#7 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 17 July 2010 - 04:12 PM

For specific rpg ones have a look here

Blimey! That's an impressive list!

Sword of Fargoal
This retro classic was kindly recommended by Smithmeg. You are the brave dungeoneer striving to find the famed Sword of Fargoal. Lots of fun monsters, treasure, traps and spells all wrapped up in 80s gameplay. This is one of those games which play well and the way they have pulled it off keeps you coming back for more. It's also straight forward to play and thus well suited to the daily commute! "Lethal" level is however proving a little tricky so far! :D

#8 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2011 - 03:16 PM

Re-animate THREAD!

Chopper 2
Quite a nice combat helicopter game. It's got the option of using tilt control for flying if you don't mind everyone else on the train staring at you. I had to turn this off as I'm clearly too old for tilt control and promptly proceeded to crash a lot!

Anyway, it's 59 pence! Yep. 59 pence! Crazy money and worth a look I say!

#9 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2012 - 03:26 PM

Has anyone tried The Quest? Very old school rpg, a la Dungeon Master from 20 years ago or so. Lots of focus on plot, character decisions and a large island to explore complete with fantasy towns, swaps, dungeons, cemeteries and so forth. Been playing The Quest Lite and it's been going well. Only drawback is that you only get to explore a small part of the island! Anyhoo... Feel free to shout out loud if you've got the full version and recommend it. From the web it looks like it has a smallish, but devoted, following. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge