16 replies to this topic

#1 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:58 PM

Hey guys, I'm going to be running my first actual session for my group this friday. I'm fairly nervous i have played for roughly 5 years , but i have never ran anything. Any tips to make the exerience more enjoyable for both me and the players?

#2 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:03 AM

1) Have fun - if you are having fun, getting excited and generally chuckling along, chances are your players are too.
2) Pander to the Senses - When describing a scene try to include as many senses as you can. If the party is on a boat, describe the crashing of waves; the smell of sea-salt; the passage of gulls. The more senses you include the more 'real' the scene will seem.
3) Play With Your Players - don't treat the game as You vs. Them; you are all playing together towards a common goal: mutual enjoyment.
4) Know Your Material - whether, or not, you are playing a written module always make sure that you have read (at least once) the contents you expect the party to cover in the session. Generally speaking, though, it is always best to read more than not to read enough.
5) See Step One.

#3 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:22 AM

Thanks for the tips! I have an interesting story in mind which i believe will be very fun, hopefully the players will too. ill get the hang of it after a few sessions. once again thanks for the tips!

#4 weasel

weasel

Goblin

• Members
  • 121 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:30 AM

I think Martin's rule is the best: give every character at least one chance to be the hero :)

Also, if you're doing multi-session, end on a cliffhanger so people want to play on.

Finally, listen to the players. They will tell you, sometimes subtly, what sort of game they want. Everything's better if you can flow with the mood of the table on the day.

#5 phillosmaster

phillosmaster

The Fourth Man

• Patrons
  • 199 posts
  • LocationStratford CT

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:13 AM

In addition to the previous excellent advice I'd add.

If you are running your own original story than make sure you understand how you want the story to go if your group is entirely successful, entirely unsuccessful and what would happen in your story if your group never existed. If you have all that in mind you should be able to fill any gaps on the spot.

Also be careful how many NPCs you introduce and how you introduce them. You don't want to get into a situation where you are forced to have a tremendous amount of conversations with yourself. That's always awkward.

#6 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 04 July 2010 - 11:29 AM

As a new GM, don't be afraid say that you don't know sometimes. As desirable as it may be to have perfect improvisational skills, none of us do, and especially not on the first try. However, player tolerance can be surprisingy high when they're having fun. So, it leads back to the most important point, for everyone to have fun.

#7 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:52 PM

Thanks for all of those great ideas i appreciate your rapid and helpful responses, you've given me a lot to think over.

#8 Martimus

Martimus

Ghoul

• Members
  • 602 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:30 AM

As a new GM, don't be afraid say that you don't know sometimes. As desirable as it may be to have perfect improvisational skills, none of us do, and especially not on the first try. However, player tolerance can be surprisingy high when they're having fun. So, it leads back to the most important point, for everyone to have fun.

Hear hear!

:D

And yes as prof Weasel said, let everyone have the chance to do something cool every time you play. If they're playing a thief let them sneak around etc...

But as everyone has said before me, go have fun. All the best,
M

#9 Pencil-Monkey

Pencil-Monkey

Kyton

• Site Artist
  • 5,831 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:55 AM

You can find tons of useful inspiration in this helpful thread. Posted Image

...Or perhaps that wasn't the style of GM'ing you had in mind? ;)

#10 Daniel

Daniel

Gelatinous Cube

• Members
  • 2,825 posts
  • LocationYork

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:40 AM

As a new GM, don't be afraid say that you don't know sometimes.

Heck as an Old GM don't be afraid to say you've not got a clue. :D

#11 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:17 AM

Im gonna be headed off to my first session in a few minutes i'll let you guys know how it turns out.

#12 Balgin

Balgin

The Dwarf

• Patrons
  • 2,109 posts
  • LocationRingwood, Hampshire, England

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:29 AM

Alright. Goodluck there :). Let us know how it went and if you feel you'd like some new advice upon your return. Sorry I didn't chime in earlier.

#13 carnacius

carnacius

Kobold

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 09 July 2010 - 10:32 PM

Let me tell you a few things that i have found out since i have started to gm.

1. Describe your settings as best as you can. Sights, Smells, how cold or hot it is.
2. Try not to if you can throw an oververly powerful enemy at your players if they are not ready for it. (Unless you really want to)
3.Relax. The game will never go as bad as you think it will.

#14 Terry

Terry

Toad

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationBowie,Texas

Posted 09 July 2010 - 11:17 PM

WOW that wasnt expected, i just returned from what i anticipated to be a 3-4 hour session that turned into a 11 hour session full of daring plans of escape, odd requests, and in my opinion a very interesting story. the group i play with are usually combat junkies and were getting excited just to hear what was happening! It was a very different experience to be in charge rather than being a character in the story i also ran it differently then our last gm which i think they enjoyed thanks for all of your help it made the exerience A LOT easier

#15 Snappyapple

Snappyapple

Goblin

• Members
  • 201 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 06:06 AM

Sounds supertastic. It looks like your first session was a big success, and you really had fun with the group. Keep up the good job, and don't hesitate to come back again when you're ready to learn the ways of evil DM'ing. :twisted:

#16 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 07:27 AM

11 hours is crazy! Well done!

#17 carnacius

carnacius

Kobold

• Members
  • 93 posts

Posted 10 July 2010 - 01:05 PM

11 hours.... I wish i could be a player for that long in 1 night. I would love it. Anyways. "Collects himself"

It sounds like your first session was excellent. Come back for more DMing advice if you ever need any.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge