#1 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 15 April 2010 - 04:11 PM

For the interested, the idle and those who simply must read every forum post, I thought that we might let slip the occasional update from the hallowed Hall.

Our current ongoing games are SLIDEWAYS, using the Fudge RPG, and Delta Green, which manages to be a little more confusing by ditching the Call of Cthulhu rules in favour of Savage Worlds. Then we ditch Savage Worlds and play it with HeroQuest instead :D

Unavoidable real world events led to a slight change around this week, so Weasel stepped up this evening to chair a first session of In a Wicked Age for us. Very interesting, this one, a game where the setting, adventures and characters arise at the start of the game rather than any parts having been planned in advance. And it's player vs. player, which is obviously an enormous challenge for us :wink:

The files are waiting patiently in the queue and you should be seeing them start to emerge before too long.

#2 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 15 April 2010 - 06:23 PM

Thank you Mr. BJB (or BGB what ever you prefer :twisted: ) looking forward to the WHG week. :D

#3 Mordion

Mordion

Dice Enough and Time

• Patrons
  • 246 posts
  • LocationGrapevine, TX

Posted 15 April 2010 - 08:55 PM

I'm also quite keenly looking forward to Whartson Hall week, and am at this very moment re-listening to Hollow Earth in anticipation. :)

Are any of the new games showcasing Ross, Zoe or the Lovely Emma, or shall we be forced to listen to more hum-drum stuff with just the four of you? ;)

#4 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2010 - 11:58 PM

Thanks for the detailed update. Looking forward to the games, particularly hearing how the one played out over three systems turned out! :)

#5 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:36 AM

I can confirm that Ross and The Lovely Emma do make appearances when their schedules allow, usually in our Monday games (so in SLIDEWAYS but not in Delta Green, for example).

#6 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:08 AM

Thanks for the update. I'm looking forward to it. :)

#7 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 16 April 2010 - 07:16 AM

Always good to hear some Wharty news, thanks.:D
Looking forward to the return of SLIDEWAYS.

#8 philbass

philbass

philmycrackin

• Members
  • 176 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 16 April 2010 - 01:11 PM

Hurrah for SLIDEWAYS.

Thank you and best wishes to all at the Hall.

PhilBass

#9 Paws_McNasty

Paws_McNasty

Raven

• Members
  • 30 posts
  • LocationEast Vanada

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:10 PM

Glad to here there's more of the good stuff coming. In A Wicked Age is rather exciting. It's a neat little game and I'm curious to hear how others approached it.

#10 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 17 April 2010 - 02:58 PM

Looking forward to the Wharts On All Week. :)

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 28 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

Looking forward to the Wharts On All Week. :)

And in case any of you have inexplicably missed it, Hal has started the audio avalanche! The first flood (sorry, mixing my natural disasters here) has hit the Patrons' area and we can look forward to the files being made available on the main site very soon.

Many thanks to Hal for getting this together; and best wishes to the currently rather poorly Lindsay, who has contracted the Dreaded Lurgi.

#12 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 12 May 2010 - 04:21 PM

It's done at last! The second lot of sessions of SLIDEWAYS finished this evening, bringing the whole story to a close. No Ross or The Lovely Emma due to scheduling conflicts, but the original trio of Sara (Suzi), Martin (Gordon) and Weasel (Cheon Sok) were there at the end. What a long, strange trip it's been :wink:

#13 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:55 PM

Thanks for the updates, BJB. SLIDEways has been my favoruite game, as I may have mentioned once or twice :D so more of that will be nifty. I gathered from references Martin made during other recordings that a DG game was under way. I can't wait to hear that. Spooky goings on a la Whartson Hall, can't be bad. Well obviously it could be catastrophic, but that's always part of the charm of games from the Hall.

So we're due a second helping of Wharts On All Week as well as offerings from the many other groups who contribute. My hard drive is groaning at the prospect! *nudge nudge wink wink*

#14 Keener

Keener

Is Wonderful!

• Patrons
  • 4,977 posts
  • LocationCalgary, AB, Canada

Posted 12 May 2010 - 05:59 PM

Don't nudge to hard it might blow out another graphics card. :D

#15 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:47 AM

SLIDEways pretty much is the best of the best. The story with the icebound ship was particularly good.

#16 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:22 AM

You're all very kind.

The story with the icebound ship was particularly good.

Thank you. It came simply from taking a set of song lyrics fairly literally: "And I can only see this wreck with the aid of a drink and a mirror," is probably my favourite line from Ship Trapped in the Ice, but it's actually a song about the band being stuck in a rotten recording contract with Virgin Records, rather than anything poetic or abstract. Looked at in a more straightforward fashion and... what if there's a ship trapped in the ice that can only be seen if you're slightly drunk and looking in a mirror? That's about as close to running a "puzzle room" as I think I'm likely to get in an adventure :D

#17 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 23 July 2010 - 04:25 PM

Summer does tend to slow things down at the Hall, added to which certain of our more musical members (please! no crude jokes! :D ) are rehearsing for an Autumn show, so at present we're playing once a week with occasional missed weeks due to holidays and the like.

But new material is on its way! Our first full session of Sundered Skies - Dave Blewer's wonderfully twisted fantasy setting from Triple Ace Game - is available for patrons and will be on the main site and community podcast very shortly, thanks to the wonderful new upload systems put in place by Hal and Thing, which will lead to a much more regular flow of site content.

Something I'm trying out is to leave the character generation sessions as "bonus episodes" available only to patrons of the site. The community podcast will still get the complete game sessions, but only patrons will be forced to sit through the pencil-chewing and page-flicking as we roll up the characters ;) Similarly, some shorter games might be put aside now and then so that the people who are able and choose to support the site financially get a little bit of a reward in addition to getting the audio sooner.

I don't think that the lack of character generation should affect your enjoyment of the games, but please let me know your opinions; and you can do worse than considering becoming a patron (see the sidebar to your left) and following the above link to see what the nice chaps at Triple Ace Games have to offer, too :)

#18 coffeedemon

coffeedemon

Kobold

• Members
  • 54 posts
  • LocationCourtenay, BC Canada

Posted 24 July 2010 - 07:54 PM

I'm still looking forward to the Delta Green stuff... is that on the patrons area?

#19 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 25 July 2010 - 02:31 AM

I'm still looking forward to the Delta Green stuff... is that on the patrons area?

It is! Now that the new upload system is in place I should go back and sort out those sessions for the main site. The first six used Savage Worlds and do come to a conclusion of sorts, then we switched to HeroQuest for the next two... then the game paused... and it remains paused. Because of that I may just put up the Savage Worlds sessions and see what the reaction is, since the HeroQuest recordings don't advance the situation much, not least because the first of them is mostly character generation.

#20 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 25 July 2010 - 12:48 PM

:) Personally I very much enjoy both chargen and 'post-game analysis'. Especially when I don't know the system, but even when I do it's a good introduction to the PCs.

I've even started listening to Actual People, Actual Play (http://apap.libsyn.com/), in order to get my fix.

I can stop whenever I want. :wink:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge