Hal

Site Owner

• Administrators
  • 8,095 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationHouston, TX

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:56 AM

Hi Folks,

Its been a while since I posted anything of note and I think the time has come to address the issues we are having.

You may have noticed that the audio has been slow of late. This is due to life having a strangle hold at the moment. I am working long hours and my department has lost two members of staff recently so I am doing the work of three. We have just moved house and are piling most our spare time into getting the house and garden set up. With my parents helping most weekends this is not leaving a great deal of spare time to spend with the lovely Lindsay and the pugster.

This is not fair on the contributors to the site and the site as a whole so I have decided that I am going to put my own games on hiatus and devote some of the time gained back to get things moving around here again.

I have been thinking that I am going to do some promotional weeks (one for each of the contributor groups) where I can concentrate solely on getting their stuff out on the site and out to the Patrons. I would also love to use it as a machine to get some discussion of the games going again and get some of the players from the various groups a little more active on the site :)

The rest will also do the Texan gamers good. They will be able to take a breather, get refocused and come back at you like you have never before heard :)

In the meantime I might also look to see if I can play in an online game or set up something for the site folks who I owe one too :)

I hate seeing the site stagnate like this and I am going to do everything I can to get it back up and moving the way it should be. We have all built something really great here and I am not going to let it just fall to pieces.

I want to provide the very best place I can for everyone who has supported us over the years and in order to do that I am going to have to give a little ground.

Viva La Revolution...

Hal :hal:

#2 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:16 AM

I just wanted to add, that a lot of you wont know, but Hal has also been working on a complete overhaul of the site in his "spare" time and it has been going really well until the person helping him seems to have gone MIA, so part of the hiatus will most likely be spent trying to get the overhaul moving again. I know he would appreciate any help from people with the approriate skills..I think PHP coders or something..

Lindsay

#3 smithmeg

smithmeg

The Silent

• Patrons
  • 175 posts
  • LocationBrisbane, Australia

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:33 AM

wow Hal, I'm not really sure what to say to such a statement, except, thank you for making such a huge sacrifice for us. And if there's anything I can do to help, just let me know. (particularly if the bandwidth goes totally out of control, and starts costing extra).

I'm sure we all understand about real life trying to drown us on occaision, and I congratulate you on working out something you can do, and making a hard decision.

also, Woot!!! :D

and, lastly, a huge thanks to Lindsay for all the sacrifices she makes as well.

#4 Carji

Carji

Raven

• Members
  • 49 posts
  • LocationPerth, Australia

Posted 02 April 2010 - 09:37 AM

Not to worry, Hal. I think most people on here are pretty patient, you don't see them complaining like you might on other sites. :P

I can't wait to see what you come out with next. It would be good to see the other players get more involved in the site. I'll miss hearing the Texans, but It'll be good to hear from some of the other groups again too.

Good luck, mate! :D

#5 Isis

Isis

Star-Gazing

• Patrons
  • 2,148 posts
  • LocationThe misty hills of Yorkshire

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hal, real life should ALWAYS come first. We'd hate to think you were struggling to keep us audio-addicted virtual people happy over Lindsay-that should never happen and we'd hate to think you ever feel you'd have to. :)
I, for one, love the idea of the 'promotional weekends': "This week - 3 Accordlands for the price of 2!". It should definitely provide an boost to the game discussions for that particular group, and I hope it helps you rekindle your own enthusiasm for your site by focussing on a different game each week as opposed to feeling compelled to game then load, rinse and repeat. (This isn't saying we hope you never game, or record your own stuff - just please don't feel you have to for the site, sod us, just game for fun :) )
All your effort, and Lindsay's 'audio widow' hours are seriously appreciated by everyone on here. We're happy with whatever you manage to put on here; after all, it's your free time so what you do with it is entirely up to you.
So roll out the "GROUP OF THE WEEK" - do you need store-wide banners for that? :D

#6 Lindsay

Lindsay

Site Hottie

• Members
  • 2,670 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationTexas

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:16 AM

Hal, real life should ALWAYS come first. We'd hate to think you were struggling to keep us audio-addicted virtual people happy over Lindsay-that should never happen and we'd hate to think you ever feel you'd have to. :)
I, for one, love the idea of the 'promotional weekends': "This week - 3 Accordlands for the price of 2!". It should definitely provide an boost to the game discussions for that particular group, and I hope it helps you rekindle your own enthusiasm for your site by focussing on a different game each week as opposed to feeling compelled to game then load, rinse and repeat. (This isn't saying we hope you never game, or record your own stuff - just please don't feel you have to for the site, sod us, just game for fun :) )
All your effort, and Lindsay's 'audio widow' hours are seriously appreciated by everyone on here. We're happy with whatever you manage to put on here; after all, it's your free time so what you do with it is entirely up to you.
So roll out the "GROUP OF THE WEEK" - do you need store-wide banners for that? :D

Isis, I think I love you :oops:

#7 ThistledownJohn

ThistledownJohn

Ghoul

• Members
  • 532 posts
  • LocationBonne Terre, MO USA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:39 AM

Isis, you go! :D Wonderfully said...I don't think I could add a thing! :D

#8 popper

popper

RPGMP3 Patron

• Patrons
  • 136 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:44 AM

Take all the time with the audio you need Hal. I'm not sure about everyone else but I always assumed that the long downtimes were the result of extra shifts at work and quality time with your lovely wife. That's why my games typically have larger gap times; and god knows the way the economy has been that none of us can turn down the work. :(

So yeah: I'm more than okay with the down time if you're spending it with Lindsay, or work, or the house. In fact I'm okay with it even if you're just vegging out on the couch and enjoying a beautiful sunny day. Life comes first; everything else can wait.

#9 steampunkdragon

steampunkdragon

Goblin

• Members
  • 148 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

This is great news. While i'll fully admit ot being an audio addict. (Hell i've listened to around six plus hours of tropis today.) But if real life takes priority. You guys have a house and other stuffs to sort out. Ontop of your day to day lives. If you wanna take a break from gaming cool. Or the recording of cool. Game for fun like Isis said. Dont feel like you should be obligied to do something. I know from experience it can kill a love for it. (Happned to me with mini gaming and running of clubs(looooong story)) I think most people in this community of the site care about the wellbeing of its owners/particpents/gamers/whateverfillsthoseroles/etc

A finished(or at least mostly complete) Home, is a reasonably happy one. Because you guys are satisfied to live there. If y'all need a break. Take it. Like i said while i'm an addict. I've still got accordlands(All of it) to listen to. All of WLD. Most of the community podcast except from Tropis, Dalish Curse, and Some of the more recent Wortson Hall Stuff. While I understand that some people who've been here since day one have listened to all of that. If you've listened to everything the site has put out d.a.ng.

And maybe if they have they could go back and listen to some old favorites. I know i've got some stuff to listen to. Like BtMoM. And the 4e stuff. And not to beat a dead donkey, but like Isis said. Its your lives. You do what makes you happy and such :)

Looking forward to GROUP OF THE WEEK weeks.

Take care guys. Keep it easy and fun :)

Oh as an aside. Does the site have a banner link aside from the top one?

#10 Hafwit

Hafwit

Stirge

• Members
  • 493 posts
  • LocationDenmark

Posted 02 April 2010 - 11:44 AM

:) That you've made this site is such a great thing in itself. For that you deserve many thanks ("glory and approbation" as they say in Diablo). Your (and the contributors') enjoyment and life should always have first priority. :)

Game For Fun. It could be the motto around here. :) Thanks again.

#11 BigJackBrass

BigJackBrass

Whartson Hall Gamer

• Administrators
  • 4,601 posts
  • Amazon Wishlist
  • LocationStalybridge

Posted 02 April 2010 - 12:47 PM

Typing on an iPod isn't easy so I may add more later, but if you need any help let me know. Non-technical help :D

You don't want the site to become an albatross, so any changes that help you to fit things into your life better are all to the good. Gaming's about fun, after all. I think we're all right behind you.

#12 sturty

sturty

Toad

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 02 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

Blatantly speaking on behalf of the other lurking freeloaders, (who will, I'm certain, speak for themselves shortly after my post) I gladly cede my freeloaderness and lurking'ing in support of of this site. My commutes would be severely lengthened and dull were it not for the Texans and all the contributors.

As a relatively new homeowner myself I can certainly understand how that can take time, especially in the apparent hurricane type weather you've face in the last year or two.

As a webmaster I can say understand when a simple "I think I want to do this" can turn into a several hour horror tale of woe, pulling of hair and gnashing of teeth.

So this North Michigan troll is gonna send ya a pop and when ya get the sugar off it'd be a cherry, eh?

#13 Ieqo

Ieqo

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,090 posts
  • LocationIts pronounced CHATT-uh-NOO-gah.

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:25 PM

(Hell i've listened to around six plus hours of tropis today.)

You poor, poor man. :P

On a serious note, Hal, real life is real life. There is no avoiding it. Allow me to join the chorus of those expressing appreciation for all that you do. Take whatever time you need and/or want. We'll still be here when you get back.

#14 Guest__*

Guest__*
  • Guests

Posted 02 April 2010 - 02:37 PM

I think the kind of responses above in this thread show pretty well the amazingly good job you have both done with the site. It's not just the audio but also the attitude people have when they post which makes it a very special place.

As fun as gaming can be, real life has to come first as it's the "real deal", as they say.

Thank you Hal and Lindsay for all your time and effort. It really is a great site. 8)

#15 riddles

riddles

General Annoyance

• Patrons
  • 2,288 posts
  • LocationLichfield, Staffordshire, UK

Posted 02 April 2010 - 03:32 PM

Don't sweat it. :)

This is your HOBBY. As soon as it starts becoming work, something's wrong. As soon as it's getting in the way of Lindsay, the house, etc, something's wrong.

Your ideas of how to go forward seem great, and everyone here is 100% behind you (or better be! :evil: ), but if it still seems too much, REAL LIFE COMES FIRST!!

I shall now climb back off my soapbox and think of ways to help...

#16 Jodast

Jodast

Stirge

• Members
  • 464 posts
  • LocationBedfordshire, UK

Posted 02 April 2010 - 04:41 PM

Take as long as you need. The reason I stay around on the site is the community that has been built up here. I may not add much to debates, besides the odd ill-judged piece of sarcasm or the occasional 'become a patron' pimping, but this site has meant a lot to me and kept my spirits up through some decidedly shitty times that I have had in the last four years or so. I am just sorry that I don't have skills which could priove to be of any use to the site, either in preparing and/or uploading files, or helping with the monumental task of a site overhaul. So the least I can do is stand on the sidelines, cheer and make some noise in support of this great site while it undergoes whatever changes are necessary.

Just make sure that your private life doesn't suffer as a result of trying to make us happy.

#17 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:16 PM

Take as long as you need. The reason I stay around on the site is the community that has been built up here. I may not add much to debates, besides the odd ill-judged piece of sarcasm or the occasional 'become a patron' pimping, but this site has meant a lot to me and kept my spirits up through some decidedly shitty times that I have had in the last four years or so. I am just sorry that I don't have skills which could priove to be of any use to the site, either in preparing and/or uploading files, or helping with the monumental task of a site overhaul. So the least I can do is stand on the sidelines, cheer and make some noise in support of this great site while it undergoes whatever changes are necessary.

Just make sure that your private life doesn't suffer as a result of trying to make us happy.

What he said, only with slightly more panache and the odd reference no one will ever get. :wink:

Take all the time you need, man. You've given us so much; if real life needs this portion of your attention, give it.

And heck, maybe now I'll finally get around to listening to WLD. :D

#18 James

James

Ghoul

• Members
  • 509 posts
  • LocationMagnolia, TX

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:37 PM

After reading the above comments all I can say is that this is a great community and I am very proud to be a part of it.

Besides Hal and Lindsay settling into their new home; this year, so far, has been a bear for myself as well.

You might not hear it but I am often studying or writing up biochem labs while we are gaming.

I also have begun replumbing my 40 odd year old house in the last month. It seems copious amounts of leaking water is not good for the interior of a house. Who knew?

Needless to say, while I will miss "the game" for a few months I think that being able to fully focus will bring back the love...

Thanks Guys!

#19 dualshock71

dualshock71

Ghoul

• Members
  • 964 posts
  • LocationConnecticut, USA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 08:49 PM

Good luck with your plumbing and education, James. And good luck with the lives of the rest of the players as well.

We expect many interesting stories of you fashioning old piping into makeshift spears to slay the monstrosities crawling from your ancient plumping when y'all return. :wink:

#20 Manzcar

Manzcar

Stirge

• Members
  • 411 posts
  • LocationIndiana, USA

Posted 02 April 2010 - 10:22 PM

As I have stated many times before, I happened upon RPGMP3 completely by accident. But I decided to listen to WLD because I have a long commute to work and thought it would be a great way to pass the journey to work. Well after that I was hooked and I believe that finding this place was the best accident I have ever had. Not only did I have the pleasure of listening to a bunch of the recording that you have done but now I play with a group online made up of people from RPGMP3 and it is best relief I have found from my week full of stress. I owe this to you and I am grateful for that.

You, Lindsay, and the rest of the group not only open up your games to all of us but you also open up your lives to us as well. I believe I know more about you guys than I do most of the people I work with, but than again I like you guys more than them. I have not met or spoken to any of you but I consider you friends because you have opened up your lives and allowed us to get to know you and enjoy your games with you. Personally this has brought me great joy.

You should take all the time that you guys need. Come back when and if you want. Concentrate on those things that are most important. I speak for myself but I am positive other would agree that we support and stand behind any decisions you make. Besides what kind of friends would we be if we didn’t.

Ohh and James, you can use the left over pipes as pit trap stakes to catch Jason who wanders your grounds at night. 8-}

Speaking of work around the house, I have more renovations to complete tomorrow so off to bed for me.

Peace love and all that jazz.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge