No, that would be silly. :P

I agree analogies with flowers and chocolates just don't work. :D

#23 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 09 April 2010 - 02:39 AM

Speaking of 4E combat taking hours; I just finished a session that started 7 hours ago. The single combat took... maybe an hour and a half. The trap took the better part of an hour. The rest of the time was spent doing so of our best roleplaying of the season. Take that, nay-sayers!

#24 Cuchulain

Cuchulain

Kobold

• Members
  • 55 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 05:27 AM

Indeed. Well, it must be said that I have had some great fun in my latest 4E game - perhaps one of my most memorable characters ever, the irrepressable Marmadoc Proudfoot, ever ready to chat with anyone about anything. Even when they don't want to.

Which has been huge fun.

But the system minimises the time I have to actually experience and play this character, the minutiae of all the different powers/abilities/whatever distracting from the engaging personality. I find it very annoying.

#25 Telemergion

Telemergion

Lantern Archon

• Members
  • 1,428 posts

Posted 10 April 2010 - 11:47 AM

But the system minimises the time I have to actually experience and play this character, the minutiae of all the different powers/abilities/whatever distracting from the engaging personality.

I can see that. Myself and my players don't seem to share that opinion, but I can totally see how that would be the case for some people.

#26 Vaeron

Vaeron

Stirge

• Members
  • 388 posts

Posted 27 April 2010 - 04:50 PM

Some of the races or feats have little details about being bloodied, or if such and such happens, that can be hard to keep track of as a player. But I do think players should know their characters pretty well (they made them, after all) and have those things in mind.

It gets really hard at higher levels. Almost everyone seems to forget their paragon ability when they spend an Action Point. My group is almost done with the Death's Reach module, for which Level 21 characters were created instead of gradually built up. At first that meant a lot of shuffling through pages as they tried to figure out how Feat X effected Power Y as augmented by Magic Item Z. But now, about 12 sessions in, it runs much more smoothly.

The highest I got as a player was 19, and my constant retraining at each level and multiclassing made it harder than it should have been. The new Hybrid system should fix a lot of that.

The hardest thing for me to keep track of is magic items and their effects. Especially if you have a few. Some good ones are so inexpensive its silly not to... Certain circlets or boots/gloves that are low level items actually have effects that are still good moving into Epic. And remembering some of them (Daily: When you are hit with an attack that targets your Will while you are bloodied, *this* happens) can be a real chore.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Gravityscan Badge